Forums: Animation: Best Cartoon(Includes Anime) of the Decade

DaVulture

[1]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 23

Okay it's already 2009 meaning that by 2010 we'll have another decade, so it got me thinking about what is the best cartoon of this decadeis.

So here are the rules.

1. The majority of this cartoon must have aired during this decade-2000-2009-. (No Superman the Animated Series which ended in 2000).

2. The show had to have started atleast in the Mid 90's with the majority of the series taking place this decade. For example Dexter's lab started in 1996, but the majority of the series took place in the 90's so it doesn't count. (Spongebob counts since it began in 1999 and the majority of it took place this decade.)

3. If you use an anime from Japan it must have aired atleast some part during the 2000 decade. In other words even if Dragonball aired on cartoon network in like 2001, the show originally aired in Japan during the 80's so it doesn't count.

4. The cartoon doesn't have to still be running, it could have ended, just as long as the above criteria matches.

5. Any form of cartoons including anime just as long as they follow these rules.

I trust you guys to know the dates of and follow these rules because I find it weird if you pick a show like Dragonball that aired in Japan in the 80's as the greatest cartoon of this decade, or if you pick something like the Simpsons which was more of a 90's cartoon despite running every era since 1989 including this decade. This way we can calculate the best cartoon of this decade and see the final results by the end of 2009. Well good luck!

(Oh yeah try to state an explanation if you want.)

Edited on 01/24/2009 11:38am
    Edited 5 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EricDent1

[2]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 7
    I say it should probably be Death Note (2006-2007).

The reason: Of all the popular shonen shows out there, this show was so different than the rest. It did not feature insane power-ups, hot-headed leads, or even any real fights.

It did feature some of the most interesting human chess matches between Light & L, and later Light vs. Mello & Near.

The one thing that might set it back a notch, is the later half (the Near & Mello part) was not as cool as the first half. In fact the live-action movies avoided all this by having L through the whole story. Plus it did seem like Near could literally "pull stuff out of thin air" in some of the episodes (and the manga as well).

So this IMO should be the best animation show of this decade. Also what other show can you think of that made potato chip eating so darn epic???

Darkknight313

[3]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 28
    I would probably say Fullmetal Alchemist since it is well known to people (including me) as the best anime ever.

DaVulture

[4]Jan 25, 2009
    Yeah I'd say myself Fullmetal Alchemist was definitely my favorite cartoon this decade, I'd put Spongebob in second place though. I mean the early seasons were just genius.

blackmagechris1

[5]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 12
    I was going to agree with FMA but there is a 2nd series coming later this year. It may outrank the 1st series.

DOMOJITA

[6]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 18
    code geass i dont know why i think its the best i just seem to like it more then i like bleach and naruto combinde not that i dont like thoss two shows iny more i still do, But right now code geass kicks ass ZERO LIVES.

SilverSilent

[7]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 1
    My favorite was FMA, Code Geass, and Bleach. They all had really good story lines, amazing twists and turns, and kept you guessing.

Angus_Mac

[8]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 71
    I'd like to question your rules.

Series that spanned multiple decades should be considered only for the years and seasons that it originally broadcast in that decade. So for Dragonball Z, only the sagas after Cell Games and the Funimation Version should be considered. Similarly for Simpsons and Spongebob, consider only the chunk of episodes broadcast in 2000-2009. Personally I think the first few seasons of Simpsons in the 1990s were the best for 1990s, and wouldn't nominate Simpsons for anything in 2000-2009, but I might be in the minority.
    Edited on 01/27/2009 5:34pm

DaVulture

[9]Jan 28, 2009
    Angus_Mac wrote:
    I'd like to question your rules.

Series that spanned multiple decades should be considered only for the years and seasons that it originally broadcast in that decade. So for Dragonball Z, only the sagas after Cell Games and the Funimation Version should be considered. Similarly for Simpsons and Spongebob, consider only the chunk of episodes broadcast in 2000-2009. Personally I think the first few seasons of Simpsons in the 1990s were the best for 1990s, and wouldn't nominate Simpsons for anything in 2000-2009, but I might be in the minority.

Yeah the Funimation episodes did air between 1999-2003 etc but seeing as the original Japanese animation took place in the 90's, I felt it would only be logical that it shouldn't count for this decade. As for the Simpsons, I agree it was funnier in the 90's but since the majority of the show took place is prior decades I kind of felt it would be weird putting a show that started in the late 80's or early 90's (I think 1989?) as the best cartoon of this decade.

You can however use Family Guy or South Park cause they started in the late 90's with the majority of their episodes taking place in this decade. Little confusing? Basically the idea is that if the show is from the 90's: It must have taken place in the late 90's (from 1995) and had the majority of it's episodes aired as a part of this decade. Hope that clarifies things.

I was also thinking about your idea to use the chunks aired during this decade but I realized that some of the best cartoons this decade started in the late 90's and become popular now, so I included them on the list. Answer your question?

casabonita83

[10]Jan 30, 2009
    • level: 20
    Death Note

MasterBender

[11]Jan 31, 2009
    • level: 9
    My favorite was "Avatar: The Last Airbender", of course.

creamylemon

[12]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 11
    well it isnt death not so ya iiiiiii ree---e-e--e-eally dont like death note....sry for the Syllable extention

Angus_Mac

[13]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 71
    Peep and the Big Wide World

BreakHammerHead

[14]Feb 10, 2009
    • level: 5

best of the best!Permanently number one for many reason

DaVulture

[15]Feb 10, 2009
    Yeah really good show. Probably Nick's last good show.

BreakHammerHead

[16]Feb 17, 2009
    • level: 5
    I say it again Avatar

drdan2410

[17]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 52
    FMA no question.

JellyFishJammer

[18]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 29
    SpongeBob SquarePants. Consider the first 3 seasons, a genius movie and ratings and popularity that have broken records.

zebra0803845

[19]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 3
    I'll go with The Weekenders if only because TV Guide dubbed it as the show that killed Pokemon. I know it probably won't get a lot of support, but any show that does a half way decent job of killing one of the greatest fads of our generation deserves some recognition...also it was a heck of a show

ameeya

[20]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 1

U all could guess and say those stupid things . But the truth is DRAGON BALL Z and DEATH NOTE are the ALMIGHTY of any cartoon series ever created in this world.

And it will remain numerouno till the doomsday.First watch the full series in BLURAY then dare to talk of any other series.I agree that DBZ is old but examine the graphics it contains and the story it have. Am a big boy but i wish if their could be any new series any day.