Forums: Animation: Cartoon network is dead

Waggytoon

[61]Jul 29, 2009
    • level: 13

Actually, 'El Tigre' and "Danny Phantom" are airing on Nicktoons Network- except for some weird reason, the last "Danny Phantom" episodes aren't in regular rotation like they should be!

As for Cartoon Network: It's doing something really wild on Friday. The network is taking the "Christmas in July" cliche and turning it into a special block of programming that fans know so well. That's right, Christmas-themed episodes of "Ed, Edd, n Eddy,""Billy & Mandy," and "Chowder", along with selected Christmas Specials, will air from 7:00 AM through 7:00 PM Friday! This may be the last major block that would be relevant enough to regain the fans it's been losing as of late.

(Although CN's scheduled airing of 'Bah Humduck! A Looney Tunes Christmas" will go head-to-head against Disney XD's famed 'Super Stack' of "Kid Vs. Kat". And we already know Kat DOMINATES THE TIME PERIODS he appears in.)

Good luck, CN, on Friday.

"Waggytoon"

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DOMOJITA

[62]Jul 29, 2009
    • level: 18
    i think cn is dead becouse thay stop showing anime on saturday nights like thay use to back in the days of toonami, I wish thay would stick to cartoons & animes only and just make up a new anime block like toonami maybe toonami z, toonami x or anime arena or something.

TV-PG-Y7

[63]Jul 30, 2009
    • level: 9
    Waggytoon wrote:

Actually, 'El Tigre' and "Danny Phantom" are airing on Nicktoons Network- except for some weird reason, the last "Danny Phantom" episodes aren't in regular rotation like they should be!

As for Cartoon Network: It's doing something really wild on Friday. The network is taking the "Christmas in July" cliche and turning it into a special block of programming that fans know so well. That's right, Christmas-themed episodes of "Ed, Edd, n Eddy,""Billy & Mandy," and "Chowder", along with selected Christmas Specials, will air from 7:00 AM through 7:00 PM Friday! This may be the last major block that would be relevant enough to regain the fans it's been losing as of late.

(Although CN's scheduled airing of 'Bah Humduck! A Looney Tunes Christmas" will go head-to-head against Disney XD's famed 'Super Stack' of "Kid Vs. Kat". And we already know Kat DOMINATES THE TIME PERIODS he appears in.)

"Waggytoon"

It's like your billboarding something.

CF3689

[64]Jul 30, 2009
    • level: 22
    Waggytoon wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't have NN, so I'm not able to see those shows

LordDolmus

[65]Jul 30, 2009
    • level: 1
    I wrote a song about Cartoon Network. You left me. High and dry. Now when I see your face. I cry. The end.

MrX867

[66]Jul 31, 2009
    • level: 2

Hey am I the only on that's noticed the people at CN have a Johnny Test and Ace Ventura Jr fetish?

Seriously they show those two things the most!

CF3689

[67]Jul 31, 2009
    • level: 22
    MrX867 wrote:

Hey am I the only on that's noticed the people at CN have a Johnny Test and Ace Ventura Jr fetish?

Seriously they show those two things the most!

I noticed that they seem to air JT alot. I just change the channel whenever that show comes on.

MachineGun_Funk

[68]Aug 1, 2009
    • level: 3
    Waggytoon wrote:

"Waggytoon"

I highly doubt Disney XD is any competition to CN...I mean, CN is major cable channel

Waggytoon

[69]Aug 3, 2009
    • level: 13

I don't even watch Cartoon Network anymore. There's just nothing remotely watchable whatsoever. The network is definitely out of 'toon' altogether.

"Waggytoon"

bigg93e

[70]Aug 12, 2009
    • level: 2
    i dont even watch regular tv just online anime

DaVulture

[71]Aug 13, 2009
    • level: 23
    I like to think of cartoon network in coma at the current time. When they completely cease to exist they'll be dead. Dumb move on their part getting rid of toonami, but they wanted to go in another direction. Hopefully it comes back to bite them.

SafTLiner2D

[72]Aug 14, 2009
    • level: 7
    It will come back to bite them. From reviewing the scheduling, and a little tip-off from my sister, the reality shows are not doing very well. In other words, sooner or later, they will probably throw them off the air.

DaVulture

[73]Aug 14, 2009
    Trust me as soon as the Jonas Brothers hit puberty, as well as all the rest of the Disney stars we'll go back to seeing good quality animation.

SafTLiner2D

[74]Aug 14, 2009
    • level: 7
    Agreed. As of this very moment, John Lasseter has re-opened the doors to tradition 2-D Disney animation. Starting 2 weeks before Christmas, the Princess and the Frog will be the first one ever in over five years.

DaVulture

[75]Aug 15, 2009
    SafTLiner2D wrote:
    Agreed. As of this very moment, John Lasseter has re-opened the doors to tradition 2-D Disney animation. Starting 2 weeks before Christmas, the Princess and the Frog will be the first one ever in over five years.

Yeah, it's interesting because movies like Up and Wall-E make a ton of money at the box office. People indeed love animation, but the quality of current animation (for the most part) is just horrid it's not up to Pixar's standards. It's down to the "let's get away with as many stupid jokes as possible" and not have a coherent story standards. I kind of wish Pixar started to create Saturday/Sunday morning cartoons or something. Create that revolution!

devon_abbey2000

[76]Aug 18, 2009

Guess who the president of cartoon network is?

Stuart Snyder.

He's the one running CN now.

He's going to cancel all cartoons and animated shows and change CN into CN REAL NETWORK because of live-action shows.

DaVulture

[77]Aug 18, 2009

It's about money. Read this article it came out very recently.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/business/la-fi-ct-cartoon17-2009aug17,0,1625921.story

In the article they interview one of the executives named Rob Sorcher, here are key things said in the article.

"Few of its new shows -- which include "Survive This," a knockoff for kids of CBS' "Survivor"; "The Othersiders," about a bunch of paranormal-obsessed ghost-hunting teens; and "Brain Rush," a quiz show with contestants on roller coasters -- are catching on with viewers, and none are among the network's top 10 series. Only one -- "Destroy Build Destroy," whose title is self-explanatory -- is gaining any traction."

I guess their new shows aren't successful.

"Cartoon Network's audience has been declining for years. From January to August, the network averaged 370,000 viewers ages 9 to 14 in prime time -- a drop of 30% from four years earlier, according to Nielsen Media Research. The new shows haven't reversed the slide. In July, the network had the fewest viewers in that target age range since May 2000 and its least-watched month overall since June 1998."

I wonder why that is? Lack of good cartoons.

"There are financial considerations too. Although Cartoon Network is profitable, it pales in comparison with Nickelodeon and Disney Channel.

According to industry consulting firm SNL Kagan, Cartoon Network will have operating revenue of $591 million and cash flow of $328 million this year, compared with $1.9 billion in operating revenue and $1.2 billion in cash flow for Nickelodeon and $1.2 billion in operating revenue and $646 million in cash flow for Disney."

This is kind of interesting.

"We have seen the trends," Snyder said. "We believe that by diversifying and providing more live-action or even sports content, we will have the ability to deliver new advertisers to the network." In particular, he wants to target electronics and technology companies because children have become big consumers of cellphones and video games and often are texting, gaming and watching TV at the same time.

This might explain their decision making process.

And finally

"I'm not going to make any rash decisions about a strategy after three months," Snyder said. "We believe in what we're doing."

Although they are committed to their approach, they disagree on the fate of Cartoon Network's name. Snyder said he didn't believe the name has to be changed. Sorcher said he expects "we will have to deal with this down the line."

Looks like it's a mainstay at this point.

Edited on 08/18/2009 9:33pm

hgfthtyu

[78]Aug 19, 2009
    not all anime is bad.it was that 4kids crap that made anime on cn look bad.it was those tween shows that killed cartoons.cn real is killing cn.

srkluver7

[79]Jul 30, 2010
    • level: 6

I think it is pretty much dead. Most of their shows are useless.I only watch 1 or 2 shows on CN because almost all of their shows are garbage.Frown

srkluver7

[80]Jul 30, 2010
    • level: 6

That better not happen.