Forums: Animation: Cartoon network is dead

Supaikoui

[81]Jul 31, 2010
    • level: 5

Yes Cartoon Network has been ruined by tween live action but if we chase the routes back earlier maybe we can find one of the factors that aided this downfall. Boring cliche more teen-like shows like Storm Hawks, Out of Jimmy's Head, Yu-Gi-Oh! G/X, Ben 10, Juniper Lee, and Secret Saturdays are shows that could not compare to original good shows like the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, Dexter's Lab, Ed, Edd, and Eddy, The Power Puff Girls, the beloved animes like Naruto and One Piece, and maybe even Camp Lazlo. Yet those cliche shows replaced those good shows eventually which led to the rise of today's boring cartoons like the TDI series, Stoked, Flapjack, Adventure Time with Finn and Jake, and 6teenwith our stupid live action. That's what I think killed Cartoon Network.

Edited on 08/29/2010 6:12pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nicoleanderson6

[82]Aug 6, 2010
    • level: 1

Hello dear all, This is Nicole Anderson, I am new to this forum,A lot of channels are dead these day's,Every kids' network is dying,I think Anime did kill CN.Thank you.

Discover the hidden source of targeted traffic that unearths eager buying customers, drives them straight to your site, and literally explodes your profits almost overnight at just simple click

Supaikoui

[83]Aug 6, 2010

Welcome to this forum Nichole. Sorry to disagree with you but anime is actually very popular with kids. Naruto is one of the 3 most popular manga (Japanese Comic Book) so it has to be one of the most popular anime. I remember I saw every little boy acting like a ninja or yelling "jutsu!" I knew they were talking about Naruto. A lot of them were big fans and they would always be buying merchandise and cards. One Piece is one of the 3 most popular but I think it wasn't watched as much because 4kids ruined its reputation. I don't remember the Dragon Ball era but apparently it was very popular. Though most animes were liked more by boys Hamtaro was probably more popular with the girls because it was so cute.Pokemon is a huge hit with the kids. I know a lot of little boys who wait on Saturday mornings just to watch that show. Even a lot of teenagers like Avatar: The Last Air Bender. Yes some animes like Prince of Tennis and BoBoBoBoBoBoBo are not popular with the kids because they aren't as good or don't have as much action. Overall edited animes and kids animes bring a sense of premature action that kids would enjoy. Oringinally some of these animes have violence and blood which made them popular with teenage ages.

Edited on 08/06/2010 11:33am
    Edited 2 total times.

Pablo_808

[84]Aug 7, 2010
    • level: 14
    If anything, anime drew in a great majority of Cartoon Network's viewers during it's hay day. Blame CN's fall from grace on the lack of good, watchable shows nowadays.

vaa2010

[85]Aug 15, 2010
    I agree with the idea that CN is suffering heavily from changing it's prime time audience to just the tweenage crowd. It feels like a lot of the 5pm-10pm block shows are really knock-offs of sorry reality TV shows. A good example of what is making it suffer is that ghost hunting show and the other is that Drama Tenn Island show.

Pablo_808

[86]Aug 15, 2010
    Well thankfully, I read that the Othersiders got cancelled along with a great number of their other CN Real shows. I don't really care for Total Drama Island (or whatever the hell it's called now) too much. I see it as a tad bit too mature for kids nowadays.

Supaikoui

[87]Aug 29, 2010

I don't get why Total Drama Island is so popular. Its kinda an overrated, stereotyped show that relies on fart jokes as humor. Don't start flaming me for the this. It is true.

AxStarr

[88]Sep 2, 2010
    • level: 15
    That may be exactly why it's so popular. I don't get it either

G3ckOz

[89]Sep 7, 2010
    • level: 13

Total Drama Island is the only reason i switch to CN from time to time. Yes it's dumb but so was Johnny Bravo and it has a world wide fan club. Other than that all i get to see on CN are silly cartoons for with no sense and no fun. The CN good ol' days:Johnny Quest, Space Ghost, Birdman, Multimen, The Centurions, Swat Kats so on are looong dead. All i can watch is TDI and Ben 10.

AxStarr

[90]Sep 7, 2010
    Woah woah woah...Total Drama Island cannot be compared to Johnny Bravo

G3ckOz

[91]Sep 8, 2010
    • level: 13

AxStarr wrote:
    Woah woah woah...Total Drama Island cannot be compared to Johnny Bravo

you're right my mistake. I meant "dumb" nicely said and Total Drama Island for some reason reminds me of J Bravo pranks, jokes and the foolishness we've all grown to love. Indeed Johnny Bravo is among the best humoristic cartoons CN had to offer thus far but TDI cuts it close, wtf i actually laugh.

srkluver7

[92]Sep 8, 2010
    • level: 6

Johnny test is the only good show on CN

AxStarr

[93]Sep 9, 2010
    I don't mind Johnny Test. Came to like it even

srkluver7

[94]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 6

the total drama series isn't half bad.

Copper40

[95]Sep 13, 2010
    • level: 12
    At least Boomerang's really good, might as well stick with that one.

Anyone who doesn't have it should request it.

Pablo_808

[96]Sep 15, 2010

Copper40 wrote:
    At least Boomerang's really good, might as well stick with that one. Anyone who doesn't have it should request it.

This.It's well worth it.

Welp, the only thing I watch on CN now is Ben 10, and Batman: The Brave & The Bold for the lulz.

NineDaysDust

[97]Sep 27, 2010

I think what CN is really failing on is the demographic issue. These days, younger children simply have a lot more options available to them in terms of entertainment. Hell, I remember when the only toys I ever had were a bucket of army men and some lincoln logs. These days it's just ridiculous how much a kid can play with. Most companies try to fight this fact, but I feel its pretty much pointless. Never again will any singular show or channel completely dominate everything with the exception of the fad du jour, which will probably be liked by a minority but despised by everyone else. Take Spongebob or any given anime. The good old days of "that one show everyone liked and watched" is simply gone. The entertainment industry has simply gotten too big too fast and needs to slow down and begin to settle for what they can get. I'd like to put Nickelodeon's Invader Zim as a fine example of this. It did amazingly well with the 18-20 something demographic, but not with the kiddie crowd the company was aiming for, so it got cancelled. In this single act you can pretty much sum up the mentality of the current industry: ignore what actually pleases people you didn't set out to please and mindlessly focus on the few shows that achieve popularity with your intended audience. It boggles the mind that there are well-paid, educated adults in this world that will willingly refuse money from people who are willing to pay. Let's look at Spongebob, which is pretty much all that Nick has going for it right now. I'm not going to say my opinion on it... atm... but I will say that the network has become over-reliant on the franchise. What if tomorrow nobody wants to see a yellow Porifera do dumb scheisse no more? What then? Who shall pay Nick's bills at that point? Sure, they got other shows, but I seriously doubt they'd meet the company's lofty ambitions. A similar predicament occurred when the Rugrats franchise kinda started to stink, pardon the pun I couldn't help but put in there. Sure, Spongebob did come alone, but that was some pretty serious luck there that saved 'em. And even then, it was the 18-20 something demographic that actually made the yellow sponge popular. Trust me, kids in the early 2000's would watch absolutely anything in the animated format. Adults, on the other hand, only watched the good shows, and if the adults liked it that meant it was no bad thing for you to be watching it with them. Kids today, however, have more options than you can shake a stick at, just with the TV by itself too. Companies can't keep depending on a single franchise to carry their entire network to glory, they have to diversify and reach out to other audiences. AN example of this mysterious other audience is myself and probably some people reading this very paragraph that I can't break up very nicely due to this site's dense format. THE ENTER BAR IS THERE FOR A REASON. Anyway, I'm not a hard man to please. Give me something entertaining and I'll probably watch it. If the show doesn't talk down to me like I just got out of today's kindergarten class, I might even like it. The secret to being successful and popular these days is to offer something for everyone through multiple shows. Trying to have a show that has some things for kids and some things for adults will only ever make it a kids show. You've talked down to us already, it's too late. However, if you consider something like Batman: the Animated Series, which completely blew me away as a child because I'd never seen something so damn mature. Not in content, mind you, but in style. In any other cartoon show, there was always that one point that reminded you that you were watching something for kids. It could be that "don't do drugs" episode or that one where the obvious shotgun is mysteriously referred to as a laser pistol or even that one that you remember seeing that one time, only you didn't because the network decided to never broadcast it again due to censorship. Things are extremely Orwellian in "made-for-kids" shows and not too many people like that sort of thing, especially as they get older. But Batman: The Animated Series was always gritty, always smart and clever, had deeply explored characters that not only had their own personal struggles motivations but stories that lasted several episodes, several seasons even! Why was this, you might ask? Cause it wasn't made for kids, it was made for people who read and enjoyed Batman comic books. The kiddie format was just to get the network to fund it. Yeah, really, that's the secret behind its success, and boy did it ever work. You felt like you were sneaking into a rated R movie even if you actually weren't. Kids kinda like that feeling of being mature and independent, even when they are being neither. Spongebob, Oddparents, Foster's, Ben 10, and what-have-you are simply "made-for-kids." Sure, sometimes somebody goofs and you actually get something worthwhile, but that's seen as a bad thing within the industry and is suppressed. Remember Megas XLR? I do... and miss it... Remember Samurai Jack? I do... and miss it... Remember Invader Zim... and so on... Any attempt by anyone to appeal to anyone older than 15 is actively revile for reasons that I can only imagine to be a bias against the money and happiness of older people. I for one am excited for the upcoming Samurai Jack film. Why? Because it's more "made for me" than it is "made for kids." Ditto with anime. They don't give about not appealing to a single demographic in Ja-pan, they just take your money and use it to bring you more of what you paid for in the first place. Yeah, that's capitalism, and by God does it work. To conclude with a nice little example, just look at Batman: Under the Red Hood. Quite the commercial and critical success it is. Yeah, that's right, even movie snobs liked it. Why? Cause it ain't "Made for Kids." It's made for people who actually have money and could actually be called rational. Don't throw all your animated pearls before the kiddie swine. Leave some for us older wiser folks to enjoy.

Rodman3k5

[98]Oct 13, 2010
    Adventure Time is the only show on CN that I can watch without cringing or rolling my eyes every 2 minutes. I'm glad it's getting good ratings.

Supaikoui

[99]Oct 24, 2010

Going to another country with a Cartoon Network made me realize how good it used to be. I was finally able to watch Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Loony Toons, and some other good shows for the first time in a few years. I now remember Samurai Jack. That show might have been pretty good if the action didn't happen every 5 minutes while Jack is just standing there in betweentrying to look epic.

ninininja1

[100]Nov 15, 2010

2 shows I am willing to watch on cartoon network

Sym-Bionic Titan - Despite being riddled with cliches, is just entertaining to watch with some serious elements thrown in.

Adventure Time - The standard wacky cartoon that isn't always ridiculously immature.

that's about it.