Forums: Animation: Has there been talk of making a channel that's all Anime?

Antique22

[1]Feb 2, 2010
    • level: 11

I have been hearing rumors that Cartoon Network is planning to create a channel that has all Anime and classic Japanese animated cartoons and I'm wondering if we will see this channel come true. Because if this new Anime channel is a huge success does this mean that Cartoon Network will drop Adult Swim and show the popular cartoons on this new animated cartoon channel,

Have you heard such a thing,

Tiki

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LSyd

[2]Feb 3, 2010
    • level: 17
    I don't think so. Recently, CN has been moving away from anime in many parts of the world in favour of in-house programming, particularly those aimed at older audiences. As nice as an anime channel run by CN would be, chances are that it's not going to happen very soon, but maybe they will change their mind.

If I remember correctly, there is (or at least was) an anime channel in the US, but it costs extra and it seems that people don't want to pay extra for it.

That said, it's quite possible that in the not too distant future English-language markets may start getting Animax, a network run by Sony and a bunch of Japanese anime companies (Bandai, Sunrise, Toei, TMS and NAS) which has already entered many countries in Asia, Latin America and parts of Europe. There are rumours that they're looking into expanding into the UK, North America and Australia (in Australia they've already been running two hour blocks on the Sci-Fi Channel and have a channel of repeats on 3G mobile phones).

timgueguen

[3]Feb 3, 2010
    • level: 13
    Given the economic problems over the last couple of years anyone who had been contemplating creating a new TV network is likely to be a lot more cautious, especially with what would be rather a niche channel like an all anime one.

skaizun

[4]Feb 4, 2010
    • level: 20
    Despite its re-running virtually every program it has, ad nauseum, and claiming as of January 2010 in its "bumps" that it will be getting new ones, Adult Swim has rated very highly in the Nielsens over the years, so it is highly unlikely that AS will disappear any time soon (however, I wish they would update their bumps more than once a year; as any advertiser will tell you, old stuff is boring and gets ignored; new stuff keeps viewer attention on the screen, perhaps to catch an advertiser's promotion for one second longer; on the other hand, it helps when I fast-forward through the commercials!).

However, as Cartoon Network inexplicably adds more live action shows, having nothing to do with cartoons or anime in any way, shape, or form, it seems that either quality cartoons are becoming harder to find, or the public is no longer interested in them (that the CN website still clings to ancient, off-the-air programs is testimony to some level of desperation). As such, faux reality shows, proven to be cheaper to produce and, therefore, easier to make money from advertisers, it does seem that the public needs a true all-cartoon and/or all-anime network (I won't get into a discussion on the differences between the two, here). However, if CN and AS are any indication, it is, apparently, expensive and/or difficult finding quality programs, so don't hold your breath!

DaVulture

[5]Feb 4, 2010
    • level: 23

There were 2 of them actually. There was the Anime Network a 24/7 anime station, and the Funimation Channel another 24/7 channel. I think both were available in only some selected markets. Now both of them are on V.O.D (Video on Demand) for cable and satellite companies, although I think Comcast discontinued their relationship with Anime Network, and Funimation is only available in a few affliate networks.

I mean I like some anime, but the idea of having a 24/7 channel seems like a bad idea. The economy is bad, first of all, and you think there'd be enough people to care about watching anime? It's very difficult to have an anime channel especially considering how bad most new animes are.

DOMOJITA

[6]Feb 8, 2010
    • level: 18
    i would love it if thay would do that.

EricDent1

[7]Feb 12, 2010
    • level: 7
    There used to be some of the FUNImation stuff on a Dish Network channel called "Colors", it was on rather late at night on weekends.

Anime Network is still availible as a Video On Demand network through DirectTV (and perhaps others).

There is also an "Adult Swim" on Demand channel as well, and they do have some of the anime stuff on it.

The main problem in getting a fully 24 hour anime channel is that eventually you will run out of stuff to show, unless they can get stuff from more than one distributor of anime (which would be pretty hard to do).

LSyd

[8]Feb 14, 2010
    • level: 17
    EricDent1 wrote:
    The main problem in getting a fully 24 hour anime channel is that eventually you will run out of stuff to show, unless they can get stuff from more than one distributor of anime (which would be pretty hard to do).

That's why I think if it's going to start anywhere, it's going to be in Australia and New Zealand, since the one company (Madman Entertainment) holds a near monopoly over anime distribution in those markets. The problem there is that the market is about 1/15 of that you'd potentially get in the US.

That said, the charm of Animax is that it's a consortium of the Japanese anime companies. From what I can tell, the Japanese companies technically "own" the dub, but the dubbing companies have distribution rights in English-speaking markets, as well as permission to license their stuff to distributors in other such countries. If the license does not include TV rights, Animax can do whatever they want, and if the contract has expired they're free to use it. Also, it's not entirely unheard of for companies to go to the Japanese licensors directly if the dubbing company is being a pain. There was a stage when Madman was doing that for things dubbed by Viz (the speculated reason being that there was another less reputable company which made heaps of money in Australia selling bootleg Viz-dubbed anime and they were scared off by that).

Lookinthemirror

[9]Feb 18, 2010
    • level: 2

If they did such a thing, that would be interesting and enjoyable. I would personally enjoy them playing the older animes, like Ronin Warriors, Samurai Pizza Cats, Speed Racer, Tekkaman, Yatterman, Sailormoon, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, etc.

Some good modern animes would work too, like Death Note, and Wolf's Rain.

Angus_Mac

[10]Feb 18, 2010
    • level: 71
    Outside of Asia, I just don't see Cartoon Network or SyFy leading the way for a 24-hr all-anime network. Colors is still a limited block, and Funimation Channel isn't getting broadcasted extensively. Dunno what happened to The Anime Network after the end of ADV. The On Demand and Broadband services seem to satisfy most folks who are still waiting for the videos.

DOMOJITA

[11]Feb 20, 2010
    • level: 18
    i would love to see some old animes and new animes get dubbed like the bomberman animes and some others ones that i thot where good.

EricDent1

[12]Feb 26, 2010
    • level: 7
    Like I said Anime Network is still around. They actually are separated from ADV now IIRC. They actually are showing some "new" stuff like Destiny of the Shrine Maiden. Also they are showing stuff that is now owned by FUNImation (like Popotan). Or at least they were about 2 months ago when I was looking on that channel (when I was watching the house for my parents who have Direct TV).

DaVulture

[13]Feb 27, 2010
    • level: 23

The economy is kind of bad, and not to mention there really isn't a 24/7 cartoon channel anymore. A more mainstream anime channel will have to wait.