TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: Animation: Milking the Series (DBZ Kai Style!)

DaVulture

[1]May 26, 2010
    • level: 23

I just turned on DBZ Kai a few days ago and it was the same exact thing I've seen a numerous amount of times the episode with Radditz's arrival, gee whiz I remember seeing that all the way back in 1996 (when I was a whee lad) when it was on FOX. Then in constant repeats in Cartoon Network, and of course who can forget the DBZ uncut series in like 2005.

I mean what's so special about DBZ Kai and generally milking this series? I get it there is no filler, but seriously why do these major anime companies keep trying to go back and milk every series for every single dollar it's worth. Did the Star Wars prequels need to be made? Honestly no, the Original were amazing (yet they did it for the money).

Same thing for DBZ Kai it's the same thing minus the filler, what's next making a Dragon Ball Z series without color during the Freeza Saga. What are your thoughts on "milking an anime for everything it's worth."

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ZaleIsBackAgain

[2]May 26, 2010
    • level: 47
    DaVulture wrote:
    I get it there is no filler, but seriously why do these major anime companies keep trying to go back and milk every series for every single dollar it's worth.

That's the reason. They know people are going to watch/buy it. Anything to make a profit.

DaVulture

[3]May 27, 2010
    ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:
    DaVulture wrote:
    I get it there is no filler, but seriously why do these major anime companies keep trying to go back and milk every series for every single dollar it's worth.

That's the reason. They know people are going to watch/buy it. Anything to make a profit.

That's kind of sad in itself.

Angus_Mac

[4]May 27, 2010
    • level: 71
    Isn't that what a business is supposed to do? Make tons of money and take advantage of its cash cows?

ZaleIsBackAgain

[5]May 27, 2010
    Angus_Mac wrote:
    Isn't that what a business is supposed to do? Make tons of money and take advantage of its cash cows?

Exactly, if they're making money, they're only doing their job. You can't fault people for trying to make a living.

DaVulture

[6]May 27, 2010
    ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:
    Angus_Mac wrote:

Exactly, if they're making money, they're only doing their job. You can't fault people for trying to make a living.

Their such a thing as artistic creativity as well, most of the good Anime's usually have these. Dragon Ball Z granted is a commercial entity, but seriously they just keep milking the same idea and probably will for the next like 30 years.

ZaleIsBackAgain

[7]May 27, 2010
    DaVulture wrote:
    ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:

Their such a thing as artistic creativity as well, most of the good Anime's usually have these. Dragon Ball Z granted is a commercial entity, but seriously they just keep milking the same idea and probably will for the next like 30 years.

It's not like I'm condoning they be more creative, but if it's the same rehashed stuff over and over again, and people buy into it, the companies are only doing their job. Besides, Kai is just one of many animes out there; it's not like this is the norm.

Waggytoon

[8]May 28, 2010
    • level: 13

And why are viewers being stuck with a hyper reworking of "DBZ" and that particular "Naruto Shippuden" yet are being denied the long-wanted 'Stitch! The Anime'? I would rather have new appearances by the legendary Angel than be subject to the same old but missing some major subplotted "DBZ" stuff that fans are tired of!

"Waggytoon"

DaVulture

[9]May 29, 2010
    Waggytoon wrote:

And why are viewers being stuck with a hyper reworking of "DBZ" and that particular "Naruto Shippuden" yet are being denied the long-wanted 'Stitch! The Anime'? I would rather have new appearances by the legendary Angel than be subject to the same old but missing some major subplotted "DBZ" stuff that fans are tired of!

"Waggytoon"

Forget Goku! It's all about Angel! That's where it's at. LOl, Waggytoon you crack me up for all the wrong reasons.

Waggytoon

[10]May 29, 2010

How much "DBZ Kai" will actually end up airing? I mean, there are over 450 half-hours of the series! We're talking over a year's worth of programming everyone has seen a few times! And not to be nit-picky, but I think the segments with Majin Buu had some funny moments. I hope we don't lose those!

Oh, and I appreciate making fans laugh. Especially fans of Angel! And there are millions of those around! They just don't appear at this site like they should. The entire site in specific Forums, to be more precise.

"Waggytoon"

DaVulture

[11]May 30, 2010
    Waggytoon wrote:

How much "DBZ Kai" will actually end up airing? I mean, there are over 450 half-hours of the series! We're talking over a year's worth of programming everyone has seen a few times! And not to be nit-picky, but I think the segments with Majin Buu had some funny moments. I hope we don't lose those!

Oh, and I appreciate making fans laugh. Especially fans of Angel! And there are millions of those around! They just don't appear at this site like they should. The entire site in specific Forums, to be more precise.

"Waggytoon"

I'll agree with you one thing though, there really was no purpose to make this other then DBZ began like 20 years ago. Toei is doing this just for the sake of making money of one of the most profitable anime franchises. This is the same company that greenlit the awful DBGT (Seriously it was one of the stupidest concepts I ever heard of), and this again? I mean I liked the one off special in 2008, but their just milking this series for everything it's worth. Probably a future trend in anime as well.

Waggytoon

[12]Jun 1, 2010

The only reason nickToons is airing 'DBZ Kai' is just so they could have an anime series in their lineup! It has nothing to do with fanbases or anything like that! nickToons wanted to emulate Disney XD who has "Naruto Shippuden", only with a more general audience anime!

And the "Kai" in "DBZ Kai" would have to refer to the famed King KAI in the series. Imagine that!

"Waggytoon"

DaVulture

[13]Jun 3, 2010
    Waggytoon wrote:

The only reason nickToons is airing 'DBZ Kai' is just so they could have an anime series in their lineup! It has nothing to do with fanbases or anything like that! nickToons wanted to emulate Disney XD who has "Naruto Shippuden", only with a more general audience anime!

And the "Kai" in "DBZ Kai" would have to refer to the famed King KAI in the series. Imagine that!

"Waggytoon"

I disagree with your second point (Don't think it was name after King Kai) but you have a point Nicktoons wanted to compete with Disney XD by bringing in Dragon Ball Z Kai. I was reading online that Disney XD has had some record breaking ratings, probably because of Naruto Shippuden.

That being said, Nick made a smart move getting DBZ Kai, I mean what other original programming does Nicktoons have except Wolverine and the X-Men (Well that I know of) and that's canceled. It's a good way to counter Naruto Shippuden, but it would make more sense if DBZ Kai was on Nickelodeon. I mean that network only has I-Carly, Spongebob, and Victorious, it wouldn't hurt them to add variety.

It's an interesting battle though cause both are shows filled with a ton of episodes, but Dragon ball Z still has more fans in my opinion then Naruto. Nonetheless, DBZ is still an older show I mean I saw the Raditz saga back in 1996, Naruto Shippuden is at least showing newer stuff. Though my money still on DBZ.

DaVulture

[14]Jun 5, 2010

DaVulture wrote:
    Waggytoon wrote:

"Waggytoon"

I disagree with your second point (Don't think it was name after King Kai) but you have a point Nicktoons wanted to compete with Disney XD by bringing in Dragon Ball Z Kai. I was reading online that Disney XD has had some record breaking ratings, probably because of Naruto Shippuden. That being said, Nick made a smart move getting DBZ Kai, I mean what other original programming does Nicktoons have except Wolverine and the X-Men (Well that I know of) and that's canceled. It's a good way to counter Naruto Shippuden, but it would make more sense if DBZ Kai was on Nickelodeon. I mean that network only has I-Carly, Spongebob, and Victorious, it wouldn't hurt them to add variety. It's an interesting battle though cause both are shows filled with a ton of episodes, but Dragon ball Z still has more fans in my opinion then Naruto. Nonetheless, DBZ is still an older show I mean I saw the Raditz saga back in 1996, Naruto Shippuden is at least showing newer stuff. Though my money still on DBZ.

Well the ratings came out, and looks like Dragon Ball Z Kai came out on top.

"Nicktoons record-setting performance was driven by the premiere of Dragon Ball Z Kai(Monday, May 24, 8–9 p.m. ET), which set a new record as the highest-rated series premiere in the network's history with total viewers, T9-14 and B9-14."

It's interesting to note the viewers are 9-14, if I'm correct the original Dragon Ball Z ended on Toonami in like 2003? Actually April 7th 2003, which means that some of these kids watching DBZ now were like 2 years old when the show ended. How crazy is that? I guess DBZ is one of those successful anime's to bridge the gap between different generations, sorry Pokemon.

I read somewhere online that Disney XD has had a record setting year but that is mostly attributed to Zeke and Luther, Phineas and Ferb, etc....etc..... It looks like DBZ Kai won the ratings battle, and probably will win the war.

Edited on 06/05/2010 12:40am
    Edited 2 total times.

Waggytoon

[15]Jun 7, 2010

A couple items to note:

1. Although nickToons promotes the Weeknight 8:00 PM airings of 'Dragon Ball Z Kai", it should be interesting to note that Weeknights at 11:00 PM, nickToons has an encore of that night's "DBZ Kai" ep going up against Disney XD's reruns of "Naruto Shippuden". So, somehow, nickToons' acquisition of 'DBZ Kai' WAS actually intended to compete against "Naruto Shippuden" to begin with.

2. Disney XD's record-breaking ratings are courtesy of 'Kid Vs. Kat', which has had record ratings in every time period it has aired in since its premiere on February 21, 2009. And the 'Kid Vs. Kat' Masterpiece Episode "The Kitty Vanishes" is the highest-rated episode on Disney XD overall!

3. Viewers actually have the genuine end credits for the Weekday morning 7:30 AM, Weeknight 2:00 AM, and Friday morning block at 7:00 AM airings of "DBZ Kai" on nickToons. All the other airings have the lousy promo/'tailored' end credit segments featured. Meanwhile, Disney XD has always had the genuine end credits for 'Naruto Shippuden', though shrunk to the upper left corner of the screen so Disney XD could have a promo for upcoming programming on that network in the upper right corner of the screen!

"Waggytoon"

DaVulture

[16]Jun 7, 2010

Waggytoon wrote:

A couple items to note:

1. Although nickToons promotes the Weeknight 8:00 PM airings of 'Dragon Ball Z Kai", it should be interesting to note that Weeknights at 11:00 PM, nickToons has an encore of that night's "DBZ Kai" ep going up against Disney XD's reruns of "Naruto Shippuden". So, somehow, nickToons' acquisition of 'DBZ Kai' WAS actually intended to compete against "Naruto Shippuden" to begin with.

2. Disney XD's record-breaking ratings are courtesy of 'Kid Vs. Kat', which has had record ratings in every time period it has aired in since its premiere on February 21, 2009. And the 'Kid Vs. Kat' Masterpiece Episode "The Kitty Vanishes" is the highest-rated episode on Disney XD overall!

3. Viewers actually have the genuine end credits for the Weekday morning 7:30 AM, Weeknight 2:00 AM, and Friday morning block at 7:00 AM airings of "DBZ Kai" on nickToons. All the other airings have the lousy promo/'tailored' end credit segments featured. Meanwhile, Disney XD has always had the genuine end credits for 'Naruto Shippuden', though shrunk to the upper left corner of the screen so Disney XD could have a promo for upcoming programming on that network in the upper right corner of the screen!

1. It's reruns, who cares 2. The point is Disney XD is doing pretty well 3. It's credits man, honestly who cares

Edited on 06/08/2010 10:04pm

DOMOJITA

[17]Jun 8, 2010
    • level: 18
    DBZ KAI FTW.

getto_saiyan

[18]Jun 18, 2010
    • level: 8
    I know I'm quite late... but Kai isn't named after king Kai... Kai in japanese can mean several things but in this instance toei animation confirmed that KAI stands for revised... Hence DB Kai/DB Revised...

DawnBrockman

[19]Jun 26, 2010
    • level: 1
    I understand making dragon ball,dragon ball z,dragon ball gt,and all the movies but they keep making the same thing over and over.

like dragon ball z on vcr tape(vhs) I understand upgrading from vcr tapes to dvds they have the menus and all the extras and you can skip the previews and the beginning song and all of that.

but remaking the dvds over and over is a bit much.

I looked at the kai version at my local wal-mart and I think it only had like half the episodes that the dragon ball z seasons had.and for a bigger price its bull.

I understand things get better within 10 or more years.

take for instance paper money they have a $1.00 bill and a $1.00 coin now there going from paper to coins from vhs to dvd from cd-rom to ubs flash drives and from atari to playstation 1/2/3 and even psp.but with each of these thing they keep getting better and better.

But the thing about dragon ball z they don't make anything different shore they might use different word but.IT NEVER CHANGES ANYTHING.

if they where going to be putting so much into the dragon ball series by making dragon ball kai.They should have went with pan and her grand son goku jr. and vegeta jr.

It would have been pretty good I think.