Forums: Animation: Most popular anime in America ever

james21291

[61]May 18, 2006
    • level: 11

Priest-Ohm wrote:
    14howabj wrote:
    i beleve it would be a tie of zatch bell , dbz , full metal alchemist and poke'mon!!!! INHASHU AND YU YU HAHASHO ARE STUPID!!!!!!!!!

You should really learn how to spell.

You must not be an anime fan. Yu Yu HAKUSHO is one of the best anime ever. If you would pick Pokemon, and DBZ over it then well....... you must be pretty STUPID!!!!!!!!!
    not realy you are wrong  yuyu hakusho never even came close to dbz or pokemon in popularity
    Edited on 05/18/2006 12:25am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ZaleIsBackAgain

[62]May 18, 2006
    • level: 47
    james21291 wrote:
    Priest-Ohm wrote:
    14howabj wrote:
    i beleve it would be a tie of zatch bell , dbz , full metal alchemist and poke'mon!!!! INHASHU AND YU YU HAHASHO ARE STUPID!!!!!!!!!

You must not be an anime fan. Yu Yu HAKUSHO is one of the best anime ever. If you would pick Pokemon, and DBZ over it then well....... you must be pretty STUPID!!!!!!!!!
    not realy you are wrong yuyu hakusho never even came close to dbz or pokemon in popularity

He was referring to quality and not popularity.

lightning_kf

[63]May 18, 2006
    • level: 36
    -Silverstar- wrote:
    lightning_kf wrote:

Anten7 wrote:
    Pokemon then DBZ

What he said, only DBZ would be first

Again, we're not taling about which one you prefer, we're talking about which one was more commercially popular in America. I prefer DBZ over Pokemon as well, but DBZ's following was more 'cult' and secular overall. Pokemon was more commercially successful and overall more popular because it enjoyed a greater mainstream success. Pokemon sold more merchandise here in the States, and just about every kid in America has played some Pokemon game or purchased some Pokemon product at one time or another. DBZ was mainly popular with older kids and adults, and not as much DBZ merchandise was made or sold over here; much of it people had to import.

I know that.  I'm saying Pokemon and DBZ were extremely popular down there.  But I think DBZ was more popular, that's all.  I never said anything about which show I prefer.

-Silverstar-

[64]May 18, 2006
    • level: 9
    DBZ was popular, but not nearly as much as Pokemon. DBZ's following in America was more cult, whereas Pokemon had a stronger mainstream following.

lightning_kf

[65]May 18, 2006
    • level: 36
    Ya got a point there, SilverStar.  Pokemon were all over the place, sorta speak.  Chewing gums, TV, cards, giveaways.  You get the idea.

kingdom09

[66]May 18, 2006
    • level: 6
    ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:
    james21291 wrote:
    Priest-Ohm wrote:
    14howabj wrote:

not realy you are wrong yuyu hakusho never even came close to dbz or pokemon in popularity

He was referring to quality and not popularity.

Zatch Bell is pretty weak to even be considered great yet. But Yu Yu Hakusho is still one of the best.

CrazyCurtis05

[67]May 20, 2006
    • level: 5
    DBZ probably or Pokemon

Creme

[68]May 20, 2006
    • level: 3
    1. Dragonball Z
    2. Pokemon
    3. Yu-Gi-Oh
    4. Gundam Wing ()
    5. Inuyasha

Metalsand

[69]Jan 19, 2008
    madaki2 wrote:

well that i think is fullmetal alchemist becuz lotta people know about that then other anime shows here in my school

but its just my opinion

Full Metal Alchemist might be one of the best to hit usa, but it wasn't the most popular and known about...X(

Metalsand

[70]Jan 19, 2008
    madaki2 wrote:

well that i think is fullmetal alchemist becuz lotta people know about that then other anime shows here in my school

but its just my opinion

Full Metal Alchemist might be one of the very best to hit the united states, but it wasn't the most popular and known about...X(

DaVulture

[71]Jan 19, 2008
    • level: 23

Well if your talking about anime series then I'd say Pokemon became at one point it was a humongous world wide sentation. Although I must admit Pokemon just exploded onto the scene in like 98-99. The addition of Pokemon trading cards, the show, the toys, and video games. Even the first Pokemon movie made $163,644,662 world wide. Including a domestic total of $85,744,662 in the United States alone. Meaning that the first Pokemon movie sold about 52% of it's tickets in America alone. Pokemon the Second movie made $133,949,270 alone including $43,758,684 in America which is about 32%. Now if your talking about Anime movies, the highest rated anime movie was Spirited Away which made a total of $274,925,095 though the majority of those profits didn't come domestically from America but from the foreign market. So in terms of America I'd say Pokemon is probably the most popular anime ever.

alex4319

[72]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 7
    Naruto of course. lets not forget Japanese animation is not mainstream in the states remember when Yugioh the movie (which is really diffrent from the japanese version) was released in international theaters. It did very poorly in the box office and had very poor critical reception, Naruto as popular as it is in the foreign countries is still not as popular as it is in its native country simply because amercians do not take japanese animation seriously at all or it does not not appeal to the average american consumer,thats why anime can only be accessed through cable via satelites because the real networks (such as fox would not be interested in Japanese animation) or even sydicated it for that matter because the average amercian would not take anime seriously , animes Japanese references opr humor would not appeal to the amercians (not a Japanfreak aka otaku) because the american would not understand its humor (this does not apply to all amercians) just those certain type of americians who don"t take animation seriously and expect it to be always funny prime examples Family guy. majority of americans believe that animation is always comedy and not dramatic hence the reason why Anime is considered a underground success. while there are some exceptions such as the Miazaki films and the Pokemon franchise. Amercians think animation has tobe funny in order to be good which is certainly not true.
    Edited on 01/20/2008 12:47am
    Edited 2 total times.

ensatsu-ken

[73]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 19
    Pokemon, DBZ, and Naruto, have been the 3 most popular anime throughout America, IMO.

insomniac360

[74]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 21
    What's with all the thread necromancers? It's just better to make a new thread than to dig one up. Anyway, Pokemon was probably the most popular anime in America ever. There's also Speed Racer.

frank_thetank

[75]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 25
    Probably pokemon

Angus_Mac

[76]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 71
    Pokemon has cornered the kids' anime market in the US. Even my nephews and nieces watch the show and the older ones who won't give anime that we normally talk about here a chance will have already seen a bunch of Pokemon episodes.

SuperMeteor

[77]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 27
    Pokemon

DC-CAPO

[78]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 2
    DBZ. Pokemon anime never had 7 million viewers, unless you count Pokemon cards and Pokemon games, but that has nothing to do with anime though

SuperMeteor

[79]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 27
    DC-CAPO wrote:
    DBZ. Pokemon anime never had 7 million viewers, unless you count Pokemon cards and Pokemon games, but that has nothing to do with anime though
    Actually, I'd say DBZ is more popular in Japan than it is here. And that's saying a lot, considering it's ridiculously popular here . But how about judging the majority of how many people like DBZ better than Pokemon, or Pokemon better than DBZ.

dds_rules

[80]Feb 9, 2008
    • level: 7

ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:
    Definitely Pokemon. Dragonball Z follows pretty closely behind. Those are the first two animes that comes in the average American's minds when anime is brought up. Sailor Moon was only popular among young boys
    That applies directly to me.

Pokemon is the most known, Dragon Ball Z the most popular, Ummm Sailor Moon was a good ice breaker and is popular too but like its something that was popular to watch at home and tell ur best friend about but DBZ is what you would brag relentlessly about.

so:

1. Pokemon

2. DBZ

3. Sailor Moon