Forums: Animation: Most popular anime in America ever

RodimusZoro

[81]Feb 9, 2008
    • level: 10

probably dbz or pokemon with naruto catching up to those too

also one piece would be the number one anime in america if it wasnt for 4krap

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

knight0017

[82]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 16
    its a tie between Pokemon and Dragonball Z

Darkknight313

[83]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 28
    Naruto

ensatsu-ken

[84]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 19
    RodimusZoro wrote:

probably dbz or pokemon with naruto catching up to those too

also one piece would be the number one anime in america if it wasnt for 4krap

No it wouldn't, mainly because most people would still be biased against it for its unique style of artwork and its overall design. Just because its one of the most popular shounen in Japan, doesn't mean that it would be the same in the U.S., even if it were aired unedited, because lots of people here have different tastes, and may not like certain things that may be more appealing to a wide variety of Japanese audiences.

With that said, I do like One Piece, and find it to be pretty good, for an action shounen, but personally, its not as amazing as other series which I have seen. Of course, I've only seen about the first 100 episodes of it (actually its less, since I skipped most of the filler episodes within the first 100 episodes). But, I've definitely seen enough to know that, even without the 4Kids dub, it still wouldn't be thought of very highly, by most anime fans in western countries.

talonmalon333

[85]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 27

ensatsu-ken wrote:
    Pokemon, DBZ, and Naruto, have been the 3 most popular anime throughout America, IMO.

The word "opinion" does not apply here.

There should not be any real doubt that Pokemon is the most popular.

Edited on 02/13/2008 2:19pm

Angus_Mac

[86]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 71
    I wonder where Speed Racer and Robotech fit in? Those were really popular among old school cartoon/anime folks. Nowadays if you're not counting the kids, it would be those Miyazaki films. People will say they saw Spirited Away rather than say they like to catch up with Naruto or Pokemon, but Pokemon is king for the under 12 year old group.

dkyuubi

[87]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 31
    either pokemon..I was one of the millons of kids to buy all the pokemon cards and games.I even owned 2 Pokemon GameBoy Colors.I would wake up every saturday morning just to watch one episode of pokemon. I would trade cards with my friends at school. It was so bad in our school that we couldnt have pokemon cards there. Then I would play the games for hours and hours at a time.So I would say that pokemon is the most popular anime to ever hit america.

ensatsu-ken

[88]Feb 13, 2008
    talonmalon333 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:
    Pokemon, DBZ, and Naruto, have been the 3 most popular anime throughout America, IMO.

Well then, if there's no such thing as opinion on this thread, than its a plain FACT that DBZ was, and still is, more popular than Pokemon. Remember to keep in mind that we're talking about the anime here. With Pokemon, not everyone watched the anime. I know this, because there were a bunch of kids in my school who hadn't seen a single episode of the anime, but still collected the cards and toys for it. To put it simply, the merchandise for Pokemon may have been extremely popular, and the anime was undeniably popular, but it definitely wasn't as popular as the DBZ anime was. Almost every kid in my class watched DBZ, and I didn't know a single person in my school who had never heard of it. Hell, even now, I don't really no anyone who hasn't at least heard the title DBZ, somewhere before .

talonmalon333

[89]Feb 13, 2008
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:

Well then, if there's no such thing as opinion on this thread, than its a plain FACT that DBZ was, and still is, more popular than Pokemon. Remember to keep in mind that we're talking about the anime here. With Pokemon, not everyone watched the anime. I know this, because there were a bunch of kids in my school who hadn't seen a single episode of the anime, but still collected the cards and toys for it. To put it simply, the merchandise for Pokemon may have been extremely popular, and the anime was undeniably popular, but it definitely wasn't as popular as the DBZ anime was. Almost every kid in my class watched DBZ, and I didn't know a single person in my school who had never heard of it. Hell, even now, I don't really no anyone who hasn't at least heard the title DBZ, somewhere before .

Well it is close between which of those two is more popular, but like I said, the word opinion does not apply when talking which is more popular. Saying that a show is more popular in your opinion is like saying that 7 is a bigger number than 10 in your opinion.

ensatsu-ken

[90]Feb 13, 2008
    talonmalon333 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:

Well it is close between which of those two is more popular, but like I said, the word opinion does not apply when talking which is more popular. Saying that a show is more popular in your opinion is like saying that 7 is a bigger number than 10 in your opinion.

Well, true, but using the term "IMO," has sort of become a habit of mine, whenever I come onto forums, or chat with my friends on AIM .

talonmalon333

[91]Feb 13, 2008
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:

Well, true, but using the term "IMO," has sort of become a habit of mine, whenever I come onto forums, or chat with my friends on AIM .

Then that's understandable. There are plenty of people who do that I bet .

Angus_Mac

[92]Feb 13, 2008
    Are you going to back up your claims with numbers then? Sampling the school seems like one way, but I could sample my nephews and nieces' opinions which span a larger age range, and Pokemon dominates all those answers.

talonmalon333

[93]Feb 14, 2008

Angus_Mac wrote:
    Are you going to back up your claims with numbers then? Sampling the school seems like one way, but I could sample my nephews and nieces' opinions which span a larger age range, and Pokemon dominates all those answers.

Who is this directed at?

MasterBender

[94]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 9
    In my perception, the top four are in this order- Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Naruto.

sasukejunky

[95]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 1
    Hey, I saw a site that has all of the Naruto episodes on it. It's www.NarutoForAll.com

Angus_Mac

[96]Feb 14, 2008
    That's with regards to ensatsu-ken's claim of DBZ anime being more popular than Pokemon anime as being a fact. I'd just like to know the criteria for that. If it's a fact, I want the quantitative reasons. Otherwise I'll just continue with the opinions

Is it:

Number of TV.com trackers: DBZ 3474 Pokemon 2803 Naruto 9771. Naruto wins.

Number of episodes viewed, including reruns/rewatches: DBZ had a lot of airplay for 10 years. So did Pokemon, but Naruto is catching up.

Number of different people familiar with the product and have seen at least one episode: Pokemon, definitely. It's got a stranglehold on all the casual viewers who could care less about watching anime. I'm still citing my family members as evidence. They own Pokemon cards, read the books, play the handheld video games, and because of that, they have seen at least one episode of the show, enough to know that it's out there. It's as pervasive as Power Rangers, even though I'd be very surprised if they saw a season or story arc's worth.

Number of people with a favorable impression of the product: Dragonball Z.

Overall revenue on anime sales: Hard to tell. I don't really see people buying TV series by the boxsets for any of those shows. But Pokemon grew the 4Kids empire, and DBZ definitely allowed Funimation to get into the anime dubbing business so they could take on other titles like Fruits Basket and Fullmetal Alchemist.

Nielsen ratings on a typical night: Naruto is the current favorite. If it wasn't then it'd be off CN's lineup and replaced by more Williams Street stuff.

If you're a TV exec and you had the option of showing a Pokemon or a Dragonball Z movie at the peak of the show's popularity in the US, what would you show?
    Edited on 02/14/2008 10:15am
    Edited 3 total times.

ensatsu-ken

[97]Feb 14, 2008
    Angus_Mac wrote:
    That's with regards to ensatsu-ken's claim of DBZ anime being more popular than Pokemon anime as being a fact. I'd just like to know the criteria for that. If it's a fact, I want the quantitative reasons. Otherwise I'll just continue with the opinions

Is it:

Number of TV.com trackers: DBZ 3474 Pokemon 2803 Naruto 9771. Naruto wins.

Number of episodes viewed, including reruns/rewatches: DBZ had a lot of airplay for 10 years. So did Pokemon, but Naruto is catching up.

Number of different people familiar with the product and have seen at least one episode: Pokemon, definitely. It's got a stranglehold on all the casual viewers who could care less about watching anime. I'm still citing my family members as evidence. They own Pokemon cards, read the books, play the handheld video games, and because of that, they have seen at least one episode of the show, enough to know that it's out there. It's as pervasive as Power Rangers, even though I'd be very surprised if they saw a season or story arc's worth.

Number of people with a favorable impression of the product: Dragonball Z.

Overall revenue on anime sales: Hard to tell. I don't really see people buying TV series by the boxsets for any of those shows. But Pokemon grew the 4Kids empire, and DBZ definitely allowed Funimation to get into the anime dubbing business so they could take on other titles like Fruits Basket and Fullmetal Alchemist.

Nielsen ratings on a typical night: Naruto is the current favorite. If it wasn't then it'd be off CN's lineup and replaced by more Williams Street stuff.

If you're a TV exec and you had the option of showing a Pokemon or a Dragonball Z movie at the peak of the show's popularity in the US, what would you show?

Well, this thread is about what the most popular anime in America has been. It never said that it currently has to be the most popular. As for DBZ, its not as popular as it was before, when it still aired on CN, but if you want real facts, rather than just going by what some websites say, go ask a bunch of people that you know about Naruto and DBZ. I'm willing to bet that a good deal of them may have at least heard of what DBZ is, while not everyone will know what Naruto is. As for me, I don't know a single person who has not at least heard of DBZ (that includes my parents, and other family members and friends, who don't even really know what anime is). On the other hand, I've enountered plenty of people who have never even heard of Naruto before.

If you want factual evidence to back up what I said, then go ask other people yourself, but don't limit it to just one range of people (as you apparently assumed that I did, just because I only mentioned my school). Of course, if we're talking about now, then Naruto would be the most popular, since DBZ's popularity has died down by quite a bit. But Naruto's current popularity isn't equal to that of what DBZ's was back in its prime days in the U.S. .

Also, you may not have read everything in my previous post, because as far as Pokemon goes, as I've said, its merchandise was what was much more popular than the actual anime itself. Tell me, how many people do you know that still watch Pokemon, as opposed to people who are still fans of DBZ ? As for me, I don't know too many, online or offline .

Anyways, as for your last question, I would easily pick a DBZ movie over a Pokemon Movie. The Pokemon Movie would be good for promoting the products, but it wouldn't even be close to the much higher level of ratings that I would get, if I were to show a DBZ movie (and with higher ratings, I would be able to charge even more for commercials ) .

talonmalon333

[98]Feb 14, 2008
    Naruto is currently the most watched, but overall I bet it does not come close to Dragon Ball Z or Pokemon in popularity.

Angus_Mac

[99]Feb 14, 2008
    It just defies what I've learned from asking around, but that's probably because I'm not in that coveted teen-young adult demographic anymore, so I'm more familiar with the parents of the kids exposed to anime, or the kids themselves, and when asked about the most popular cartoon to come out of Japan ever, they have told me Pokemon. Only people who watched Cartoon Network pre-Adult Swim would mention DBZ. One of my friends recommended FMA out of the blue, not caring at all about DBZ. But these are the same folks who either remember the Robotech and Speed Racer days, or would confuse Avatar as being an anime in today's world. There are also quite a few in that sample group that are women; that could have something to do with it as well.

warnerbroman

[100]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 15
    pokemon