Forums: Animation: Most popular anime in America ever

 
  • Avatar of Treykonian

    Treykonian

    [161]Apr 17, 2009
    • member since: 04/18/09
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    THANK YOU!!!! I am glad to know that someone other than me knows about the very first anime ever. ROBOTECH was the predecessor for the Mecha type anime like GUNDAM WING. I believe BLEACH is now the current most popular but ROBOTECH is the "ALL TIME BEST" anime.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of grimjow6

    grimjow6

    [162]May 4, 2010
    • member since: 05/05/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    All of you are wrong the 2 most popular are Naruto and Bleach. Pokemon sucks the main character allways win.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DaVulture

    DaVulture

    [163]May 5, 2010
    • member since: 07/08/05
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,445
    grimjow6 wrote:

    All of you are wrong the 2 most popular are Naruto and Bleach. Pokemon sucks the main character allways win.




    Yeah I'm sure that Naruto and Bleach had as big an opening weekend as Pokemon the first movie. Think before you speak.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LSyd

    LSyd

    [164]May 6, 2010
    • member since: 11/24/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 4,418
    Angus_Mac wrote:
    Come to think of it, when has a show that's mainly shojo in nature ever made it onto a US TV network (not counting Funimation channel or Anime on Demand)?

    What is it with people bumping old threads? Since it's been revived I guess the answer to that very pressing question would probably be Sailor Moon.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Evil_Dead_Ash

    Evil_Dead_Ash

    [165]May 8, 2010
    • member since: 01/17/04
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 108

    Yeah Pokemon was massive (that has to be the winner). But Dragon Ball Z was also very popular for awhile there.


    Darn it! I forgot about Sailor Moon. But that was almost exclusively enjoyed by girls only.

    Edited on 05/08/2010 12:27am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DaVulture

    DaVulture

    [166]May 9, 2010
    • member since: 07/08/05
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,445
    Evil_Dead_Ash wrote:

    Yeah Pokemon was massive (that has to be the winner). But Dragon Ball Z was also very popular for awhile there.


    Darn it! I forgot about Sailor Moon. But that was almost exclusively enjoyed by girls only.



    Yeah DBZ and Sailor Moon had "cult appeal." When I was a child (What is this Pink Floyd?)I remember that both shows had popularity amongst children, Sailor Moon with girls and DBZ with boys. The thing though is that neither of them got as much mass attention as Pokemon which is really a shame, DBZ at one period of time had a Burger King promotion in like early 2000. If anyone remembers that? I think the difference between Sailor Moon and DBZ was that Pokemon was concurrently running in Japan, while when DBZ and Sailor Moon came to America they were pretty much re-runs of episodes that ran during the early 90's.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Corona-Dark

    Corona-Dark

    [167]Jun 18, 2010
    • member since: 06/19/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 6


    How many of you Naruto or Fullmetal fanboys and fangirls actually do research?


    I found some of the posts here funny as hell.


    Whether some of you like it or not, Pokemon and Dragon Ball are both multi-billion dollar franchises. There are no other anime franchises that are making/have made that much money. Period. Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, YuYu Hakusho, Bleach, etc., are only multi-million dollar franchises.


    Dragon Ball Z was arguably the most commercially successful anime series across the entire world, reaching #1 in America,France, Mexico, and other countries. (Only Pokemon comes close)


    - Dragon Ball Z was one of the highest-rated animated programs in American history (only topped by Pokemon and a Ben 10 moviein recent years) (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2002-09-28/dragonball-z-tops-ratings)
    "It's official, Dragon Ball Z is the number 1 TV showon all of TV in the tweens 9-14, boys 9-14 and men 12-24 demographics"


    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i26961e5d2475534246bfef04bdf5ebfa


    "That makes "Ben 10" the most-watched telecast in network history, surpassing a 2002 telecast of "Dragon Ball Z."


    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0DIZ/is_41_13/ai_79195871/

    Edited on 06/19/2010 12:28am
    Edited 16 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DaVulture

    DaVulture

    [168]Jun 18, 2010
    • member since: 07/08/05
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,445
    Corona-Dark wrote:


    How many of you Naruto or Fullmetal fanboys and fangirls actually do research?


    I found some of the posts here funny as hell.


    Whether some of you like it or not, Pokemon and Dragon Ball are both multi-billion dollar franchises. There are no other anime franchises that are making/have made that much money. Period. Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, YuYu Hakusho, Bleach, etc., are only multi-million dollar franchises.


    Dragon Ball Z was arguably the most commercially successful anime series across the entire world, reaching #1 in America,France, Mexico, and other countries. (Only Pokemon comes close)


    - Dragon Ball Z was one of the highest-rated animated programs in American history (only topped by Pokemon and a Ben 10 moviein recent years) (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2002-09-28/dragonball-z-tops-ratings)
    "It's official, Dragon Ball Z is the number 1 TV showon all of TV in the tweens 9-14, boys 9-14 and men 12-24 demographics"


    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i26961e5d2475534246bfef04bdf5ebfa


    "That makes "Ben 10" the most-watched telecast in network history, surpassing a 2002 telecast of "Dragon Ball Z."


    - Dragon Ball and Pokemon have much larger audiences than any other anime (hence their billion dollar incomes) (http://anothercomicgeek.blogspot.com/2009/04/billion-dollar-franchise-known-as.html)


    "Dragonball" has exploded into a global phenomenon that has generated more than four billion dollars in merchandising sales"


    - Dragon Ball still outsells new anime (outsells Pokemon) (http://anime.suite101.com/article.cfm/anime_dvd_sales_down_20_in_2007/ http://www.mania.com/dragon-ball-z-owning-anime-sales-charts_article_85318.html)


    "Dragon Ball Z owning the anime sales charts"


    - Dragon Ball games outsell Naruto games by a landslide(just check www.vgchartz.com) (The Dragon Ball games have reached over 2 million copies in the U.S. alone... Naruto games have never even sold over 1 million)


    - Dragon Ball was the most-searched web-term for over4 years straight, beating the likes of Pokemon and Britney Spears (http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/2969.html) "The Only TV Series That's Done It"


    - Dragon Ball was, and is still referenced in American media; film and television "Two & a Half Men", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "The Tooth Fairy", "Criminal Minds", "South Park", "Codename: Kids Next Door", "Billy & Mandy", "Looney Toons""40 Year Old Virgin" .. (there justreally aren'treferences to other anime, other than Pokemon)(just check movie connections at www.imdb.com)


    - Dragon Ball toys were amongst the best-sellers in America (No other anime-based toys ever sold that well, other than Pokemon's) (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2001-10-31/dragonball-z-toys-amongst-the-best)


    - Dragon Ball Kai is the #4 most-watched television anime in Japan currently (Naruto and Bleach are no where in sight, and Pokemon only averages a 5.8 household rating)(This is an essentual re-run of Dragon Ball) (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-12/japan-animation-tv-ranking-may-24-30)


    - Dragon Ball Z Kai set a new record on Nicktoons in the month of May,with its series premiere, which took the throne from Wolverine and the X-Men (Naruto: Shipuuden has much less viewers, and Bleach doesn't average anywhere near the amount of viewers Naruto has) (http://blog.funimation.com/2010/06/nicktoons-may-10-ratings/)


    "Dragon Ball Z Kai sets a new record as the highest-rated series premiere in the network's history with total viewers"


    Do you actually think anime like Naruto even overshadowed Dragon Ball for that long? How do you explain Dragon Ball sales still outweighing Naruto's in America? Honestly? What could you cough up at that? Naruto was actually considered to be "The Next Dragon Ball", but its performances have been less than stellar on television...and it's doing little for anime in America, as it's creating this sort of sub-sub-genre type of entertainment particularily for the overly emotional and possibly suicidal teenager crowds, most commonly referred to as "emo", and only grabs the attentionof ahandful of such. Sad thing is, most "emo" kids have probably never even heard of Naruto.


    Dragon Ball actually covers a much bigger spectrum of things, and thus nabs a much bigger audience. Pokemon did so well with its target audience as a game, that an animated series was bound to happen. If you have such a massive original following, it's only normal for its later incarnations or adaptations to succeed as well. Even if it is a somewhat bigger audience than Dragon Ball, people still prefer Dragon Ball for its entertainment, and character-driven stories. Two things Pokemon really doesn't have to offer to people, over a certain age.


    Lastly, and sadly, that "Over 9,000!" meme nonsense alone is probably more popular than any other anime for that matter right now. It's actually been referenced on the Oprah Winfrey Show, and in videogames. "It's Over Nine Thousand!" is even a new Achievement in World of Warcraft, which you unlock when you gain over9,000 achievement points.


    Please people, take the amount of money you know Pokemon is making over any other Japanese-founded franchise (possibly more than all anime franchises combined), and apply that same thought process to Dragon Ball next to the rest of the anime world.


    It's like comparing people who inhabit planets to the planets themselves. There's no comparison.. there's an astronomical difference ... the difference is Dragon Ball and Pokemon are not only giants compared to the rest of the anime world, they're like Jupiter.. where the rest are Earth, or inhabitants of it.


    Japan was recently surveyed on Anime and other cultural exports, and Dragon Ball was still "Japan's Coolest"


    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-20/japan-surveyed-on-anime-manga-other-cultural-exports


    Naruto or Bleach didn't even make the list..



    You're right.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Corona-Dark

    Corona-Dark

    [169]Jun 19, 2010
    • member since: 06/19/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 6

    Well, I hope people can forgive some of the harsh things I said about Naruto and its fanbase. I should rephrase some of it. Naruto is the most popular manga/anime right now, but unless it reaches and exceeds the milestones reached by more mainstream anime like Pokemon or Dragon Ball, it will never be considered "The most popular anime in America ever". (With popularity and Shipuuden ratings on the decline, yet having reached the amount of popularity or success the two aformentioned have, and with the return of Dragon Ball Z to television, I would say it's rather doomed. Throw in the fact that Dragon Ball is also becoming a Massively Multiplayer Online game now, and you have a sealed deal).


    I remember in my day, fans of Dragon Ball Z would be under the belief that it was the biggest thing around, in the highest of senses. I guess it's understandable when the fan fervor for something is so intense, some people may tend to get a little delusional.



    (Anyone have any idea what's wrong with this site's message posting system? It keeps removing spaces I made, doesn't show 'URL' links as clickable, even though they appear clickable in the edit window, and sometimes when I edit and save my post, parts of the original message gets cut off ....... Terrible message board, to say the last -.-)

    Edited on 06/19/2010 2:17pm
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of getto_saiyan

    getto_saiyan

    [170]Jun 19, 2010
    • member since: 03/19/10
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 304
    DBZ is the most popular, how are we even discussing it...... It's completely illogical to think otherwise. Pokemon is big, but it NEVER was as popular as DBZ. Dbz is actually what popularised anime not just in US but in the rest of the world....
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DaVulture

    DaVulture

    [171]Jun 20, 2010
    • member since: 07/08/05
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,445
    getto_saiyan wrote:
    DBZ is the most popular, how are we even discussing it...... It's completely illogical to think otherwise. Pokemon is big, but it NEVER was as popular as DBZ. Dbz is actually what popularised anime not just in US but in the rest of the world....


    Pokemon never as big as DBZ? Dude do you know how much the first Pokemon movie made in the States or the Second? They were #1 in the American box office, do you think any DBZ movie could have that kind of popularity in the States? Heck no! Clearly Pokemon is the winner.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Corona-Dark

    Corona-Dark

    [172]Jun 20, 2010
    • member since: 06/19/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 6

    (Keep in mind most of this is referring to world-wide sales)


    All of the Pokemon movies combined made about $390,000,000 world-wide. And there were 5 films. That's not impressive next to other animated films meant for theatrical releases, but impressive for animated movies otherwise not necessarily intended for threatrical release, and for the amount of promotion they didn't receive.


    The 13 Dragon Ball Z movies opened to about $10,000,000 in Japan each (which is almost equivalent to Pokemon's theatrical success in theUnited States, given its movies opened to around $8,000,000 here). If Dragon Ball Z (as a property) was as popular as Pokemon in the U.S., it would have made those same amounts in theaters, and maybe more. But the Pokemon movies weren't even put in to theaters in Japan if I recall correctly, or if they were their ticket sales were undertracked or otherwise not important enough to cite.


    But anyway, Dragon Ball Z didn't need to make money from theater sales- Dragon Ball has made that amount in doubles and triples off its anime sales on VHS/DVD, and probably exceeded that $390m over the course of just several years. The Pokemon anime sales on VHS/DVD, etc. didn't maintain high enough sales world-wide to reach the popularity of Dragon Ball Z, and it didn't attract higher demographics like Dragon Ball Z did)(This is strictly as an "anime")


    They never put animated versions of X-Men, Iron Man, Batman (other than Mask of the Phantasm which only made $5m), Superman, Spider-Man, etc. in theaters. I think Pokemon was put in to theaters due to its massive success with its target audience; very young children.


    Plus, just because the Pokemon movies were put in to theaters doesn't necessarily make it more "popular" since we know the Pokemon anime didn't cause an erruption of interest in Japanese animation, or begin a hype due toits characters and stories. What we also know is that it sells on the merit that it's a game, and is a cultural phenomenon because of that fact. Dragon Ball Z, its anime and manga, however, sparked a public hype and became a pretty hot topic and property among a broader audience than Pokemon (but a smaller % in each age group, as Pokemon pretty much nabbed the total % of children in its target demographic).


    So, chances are "Pokemon" is a much more famous name than "Dragon Ball". More famous doesn't necessarily mean more popular, and sales don't always justify quality. There is a lot of misconception here- it's a rather touchy subject. But yeah, unfortunately Pokemon is somewhat more famous for what Dragon Ball should be.

    Edited on 06/20/2010 7:11pm
    Edited 8 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DaVulture

    DaVulture

    [173]Jun 22, 2010
    • member since: 07/08/05
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,445
    Corona-Dark wrote:

    (Keep in mind most of this is referring to world-wide sales)


    All of the Pokemon movies combined made about $390,000,000 world-wide. And there were 5 films. That's not impressive next to other animated films meant for theatrical releases, but impressive for animated movies otherwise not necessarily intended for threatrical release, and for the amount of promotion they didn't receive.


    The 13 Dragon Ball Z movies opened to about $10,000,000 in Japan each (which is almost equivalent to Pokemon's theatrical success in theUnited States, given its movies opened to around $8,000,000 here). If Dragon Ball Z (as a property) was as popular as Pokemon in the U.S., it would have made those same amounts in theaters, and maybe more. But the Pokemon movies weren't even put in to theaters in Japan if I recall correctly, or if they were their ticket sales were undertracked or otherwise not important enough to cite.


    But anyway, Dragon Ball Z didn't need to make money from theater sales- Dragon Ball has made that amount in doubles and triples off its anime sales on VHS/DVD, and probably exceeded that $390m over the course of just several years. The Pokemon anime sales on VHS/DVD, etc. didn't maintain high enough sales world-wide to reach the popularity of Dragon Ball Z, and it didn't attract higher demographics like Dragon Ball Z did)(This is strictly as an "anime")


    They never put animated versions of X-Men, Iron Man, Batman (other than Mask of the Phantasm which only made $5m), Superman, Spider-Man, etc. in theaters. I think Pokemon was put in to theaters due to its massive success with its target audience; very young children.


    Plus, just because the Pokemon movies were put in to theaters doesn't necessarily make it more "popular" since we know the Pokemon anime didn't cause an erruption of interest in Japanese animation, or begin a hype due toits characters and stories. What we also know is that it sells on the merit that it's a game, and is a cultural phenomenon because of that fact. Dragon Ball Z, its anime and manga, however, sparked a public hype and became a pretty hot topic and property among a broader audience than Pokemon (but a smaller % in each age group, as Pokemon pretty much nabbed the total % of children in its target demographic).


    So, chances are "Pokemon" is a much more famous name than "Dragon Ball". More famous doesn't necessarily mean more popular, and sales don't always justify quality. There is a lot of misconception here- it's a rather touchy subject. But yeah, unfortunately Pokemon is somewhat more famous for what Dragon Ball should be.



    First of all the topic was about the most popular anime in America EVER, not worldwide, now the Pokemon movies according to my estimate grossed around 412 million dollars to be exact but the first two movies were really the big deal, accordingly 85 million was grossed on the first movie which accounted for 52.4 % of it's gross total, the second movie grossed around 43 million in the States (accounting for 32.7% of it's total profit) but nonetheless the movies made a lot stateside.

    Now let's look at the other aspects of Pokemon, the video games. Pokemon's popularity stems off it's video games, trading cards as well as merchandise. Now did you know Pokemon is the 2nd best selling video game franchise after Mario? selling almost 200 million worldwide. Also interestingly enough, the Pokemon video games are some of the highest selling games for N64, GameCube, Game Boy, Gameboy Color and in fact Gameboy Advance's three top selling games are Pokemon. The argument however was Pokemon's popularity in the states, Pokemon Red and Blue sold over 9.8 million copies in the States, and Gold and Silver sold 7.6 million in the States (and the Japanese only sold 7.0 million)

    So the video games are huge commodities, now let's look at of course the trading card game. The Pokemon trading card game sold over 100 million copies, not to mention the other merchandise. In fact Pokemon apparently made 1 billion dollars in the US in 1999, and made an estimated 2.8-3.0 billion dollars in 2000 alone (that includes all merchandise).

    Now let's not forget the tv series popularity, it was probably one of the highest rated kids show and running against programs like the Today Show and CBS Early Morning, it defeated them and gave Good Morning America a run for it's money. Pokemon was a huge ratings success.

    Now I hate Pokemon with a passion, but I don't think any anime has come into public consciousness as much as Pokemon did during it's 1999-2000 peak. I love Dragon Ball Z, but it was mostly a show that aired on cable didn't get as solid promotion and though highly rated on the tv (with good dvd sales) it never had as successful a transition into the mainstream as Pokemon did. I mean in 1999 Pokemon was really on top of the world, I know as I was a child of the period (and I used to love it, I mean you'd turn on the Norm Show and see a Pokemon clip in the intro). DBZ is a much better program but I think the fact it ended by 1995, the rise of the internet and the fact most people could find the subbed episodes online never really drew in as Mainstream a public as Pokemon. All and all, Pokemon truly is the most popular anime in America ever.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Corona-Dark

    Corona-Dark

    [174]Jun 22, 2010
    • member since: 06/19/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 6

    Well, yeah, "Pokemon" is bigger than Star Wars as a franchise; recorded $30billion worth. It stood ahead of the crowd, and sparked an international craze over trading cards. Sure, that's a given. It's like with anything, really. Star Wars hit big as a movie franchise, and thus its branching format of products were big sellers, too.


    Dragon Ball was more of a temporary hit in the U.S., though maintained a steady cult following, and all across the globe. Came, out-sold and overshadowed some big franchises for awhile, and then nearly fell off the radar. But that goes the same for most comic/cartoon "action" series. The X-Men, Superman, Batmanetc. series' never really took off in places like Japan, and it took America 6 years toproduce their first live-action X-Men movie, longafter the public hype over the 1993 tv series died down.


    But you have to be more realistic. You can't credit Pokemon's anime for its success. Or its toy line, or its clothing. Its catapult was obviously the card and videogame.


    On the side of all this, the "Dragon Ball" series of videogames outsells pretty much all the Marvel and DC Comics based games. Should say something, at least. Most of the Dragon Ball games were very undertracked, but given the amounts added up over 15 years, the game franchise has sold almost 30,000,000 copies. Not bad for a game series based off an "action" cartoon. Hulk, Spider-Man, Superman, X-Men, etc. don't sell that well, despite all having movie-sized audiences now.


    And I don't know if the title of the thread is to trick people, but if you mean by "popular anime", Dragon Ball Z would probably be #1, considering it is of a higher demographic than Pokemon, and was constantly discussed. Where with Pokemon, the games/cards were.


    The web can also help you determine these kinds of things. "Naruto", and "Bleach" are easily more discussed and watched right now than Pokemon. People don't really care about the Pokemon anime.

    Edited on 06/22/2010 3:39pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DaVulture

    DaVulture

    [175]Jun 24, 2010
    • member since: 07/08/05
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,445
    Corona-Dark wrote:

    Well, yeah, "Pokemon" is bigger than Star Wars as a franchise; recorded $30billion worth. It stood ahead of the crowd, and sparked an international craze over trading cards. Sure, that's a given. It's like with anything, really. Star Wars hit big as a movie franchise, and thus its branching format of products were big sellers, too.


    Dragon Ball was more of a temporary hit in the U.S., though maintained a steady cult following, and all across the globe. Came, out-sold and overshadowed some big franchises for awhile, and then nearly fell off the radar. But that goes the same for most comic/cartoon "action" series. The X-Men, Superman, Batmanetc. series' never really took off in places like Japan, and it took America 6 years toproduce their first live-action X-Men movie, longafter the public hype over the 1993 tv series died down.


    But you have to be more realistic. You can't credit Pokemon's anime for its success. Or its toy line, or its clothing. Its catapult was obviously the card and videogame.


    On the side of all this, the "Dragon Ball" series of videogames outsells pretty much all the Marvel and DC Comics based games. Should say something, at least. Most of the Dragon Ball games were very undertracked, but given the amounts added up over 15 years, the game franchise has sold almost 30,000,000 copies. Not bad for a game series based off an "action" cartoon. Hulk, Spider-Man, Superman, X-Men, etc. don't sell that well, despite all having movie-sized audiences now.


    And I don't know if the title of the thread is to trick people, but if you mean by "popular anime", Dragon Ball Z would probably be #1, considering it is of a higher demographic than Pokemon, and was constantly discussed. Where with Pokemon, the games/cards were.


    The web can also help you determine these kinds of things. "Naruto", and "Bleach" are easily more discussed and watched right now than Pokemon. People don't really care about the Pokemon anime.



    First off, I notice you edit each of your posts at-least 2 times. It never hit me until now, don't know why I care so much but it's just interesting.

    The question once again was "The Most Popular Anime in America Ever", that includes 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. Lets say for example we are talking about the 60's and use something like Speed Racer, is it more popular then Bleach now? Nope, but at it's peak it probably had more popularity.

    As you alluded DBZ had only temporary popularity, and it's great it outsold some Marvel Games but it wasn't nearly as popular in it's peak as Pokemon. That's what this thread is trying to allude to.

    Now in terms of your demographics and everything, if you type Pokemon on google you get about (117,000,000 results) vs. (44,200,000 results) for Dragonball. What does that tell you? There are nearly double the amount of webpages releated to Pokemon then Dragon ball.

    The video game and trading card as a part of it's success and probably the main reason why Pokemon is the most popular anime in America ever. Yeah the anime is awful, and I love DBZ but sadly those are the facts. Right now DBZ is probably more popular then Pokemon (anime) but Pokemon still was the most popular in it's peak.

    I like to compare this to basketball when Michael Jordan was playing he was probably the most famous basketball player in the world, then when he retired that burden fell on Kobe Bryant. Nowadays Kobe is the most popular basketball player, does that mean he was more popular then Michael Jordan at his peak? Probably not.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Corona-Dark

    Corona-Dark

    [176]Jun 25, 2010
    • member since: 06/19/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 6

    If you're trying to make a point that Pokemon is the most successful thing out of Japan, the point was taken long before I knew who you were.


    "Famous" or "most popular". Pokemon is the most famous in the U.S., for sure. But, I do not think it matched the cult appeal Dragon Ball had, which had appealamong far older agegroups. It reached to older people, which means it's settled in places Pokemon never did.


    Don't cite google responses... Did you make sure more than 44,000,000 results yielded websites about its anime? That's kind of careless.


    The amount of TV viewers, comic readers, etc., increases by the year, in a general aspect.

    Edited on 06/26/2010 5:52pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DaVulture

    DaVulture

    [177]Jun 26, 2010
    • member since: 07/08/05
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,445
    Corona-Dark wrote:

    If you're trying to make a point that Pokemon is the most successful thing out of Japan, the point was taken long before I knew who you were.


    "Famous" or "most popular". Pokemon is the most famous in the U.S., for sure. But, I do not think it matched the cult appeal Dragon Ball had, which had appealamong far older agegroups. It reached to older people, which means it's settled in places Pokemon never did.


    Don't cite google responses... Did you make sure more than 44,000,000 results yielded websites about its anime? That's kind of careless.


    The amount of TV viewers, comic readers, etc., increases by the year, in a general aspect


    But, I do see your point. Pokemon averaged 7,000,000 viewers on Americantelevision,made it into theaters, and made millions and millions of dollars in the U.S. It was huge here, but ...


    Dragon Ball Z products made their way into places like GameStop, Software, Etc., GameCrazy, Sam Goody, where Pokemon did not. You could walk into a video-oriented store in the 2000-2003 period and find many Dragon Ball products, but no Pokemon products. You could walk into a "game" store and still see more of Dragon Ball than Pokemon. I mean, c'mon, "DBZ" was more discussed among much bigger agregroups than Pokemon.. that should merit something.


    Why would Pokemon the "anime" be more "popular" than Dragon Ball??!? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.... it makes no sense..



    I'm kind of getting bored of this argument, it seems to go nowhere. Just a bunch of statistics, so I'll point out the obvious, "This is in America" and this is "Most Popular Ever" not just right now.

    That being said, Pokemon in 1999 was the most popular anime ever, it makes plenty of sense. So therefore it's the most popular anime ever. See I can help you out a bit.

    Pokemon in 1999+ Popularity= Most Popular Anime in America Ever. That's about it, I'll make this short.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Corona-Dark

    Corona-Dark

    [178]Jun 26, 2010
    • member since: 06/19/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 6

    You sound like someone who just wants to be right for the sake of it, going as far as to defend that which you hate. That's funny.


    "Popular" can mean a number of things. In this case, Dragon Ball Z was still the most-talked aboutand probably most-bought anime in America ever.. thus making it the "most popular". Video, game, and other-type of merchandise stores still tended to carry more Dragon Ballvhs' and dvd's(anime of 'Dragon Ball', and itstoys, than Pokemon). You could walk intoGameStop and see posters of Goku, and shelves and shelves of Dragon Ball Ztoys. Some Pokemon, sure, but not nearly as much as Dragon Ball- that's because people (nomatter what their age), wanted to buy DragonBall toys and videos more than people wanted to buy Pokemon toys and videos. Pokemon's billion-dollarsuccesscomes from the games. People didn't storm intoGameStop to buy the toys of Pokemon. They stormed in to buy the games. Do you think they cared about its toys? The Dragon Ball fan frenzy over the anime and its products was heavier than Pokemon's- it created an erruption of interest in Japanese animation, and people of many agegroups starting searching after it---not bya fanbase that was strictly confined to one toddler agegroup.


    I'm voiding Pokemon's television success simply because the fan fervor over the games was so great, and because it was aired on a prime-time network which was capable of garnering some 8-10 million viewers by default. There are stations you have to pay for, that can garner half that many viewers these days, which is remarkable. Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network garnering almost 4,000,000 viewers was insanely remarkable 8 years ago. It had prime-time network potential.


    I thought you understood kids watched Pokemon because they played the games. That doesn't justify its anime's popularity or success. Dragon Ball "the anime" was searched after, by people of many ages; aged 9-24--a bigger audience than Pokemon. Pokemon was sought after by children primarily under 10 years of age. You can discard Pokemon as an anime since that is the case.


    Plus, if you want to get even further technical; "ever", or "all-time"--Dragon Ball's popularity has outlasted Pokemon's in the stretch(as an anime), which could even make Pokemon's theatrical success obsolete... thus again, making "Dragon Ball" the most popular "ever" in America..(In 2007, surveys and statisticsrevealed that Dragon Ball Z was the highest-selling anime to date, with Pokemon fairly far behind it).


    If you want to really put labels on things, I'd say Dragon Ball and Pokemon are pretty evenly matched in terms of overall popularity during certain time periods at the pinnacles of their successes.


    You can't seem to answer any of my questions. Do you even know what $100mil in ticket sales is equivalent to in DVD sales?

    Edited on 06/26/2010 7:47pm
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.