Forums: Animation: RIP Spectacular Spiderman and Wolverine and the X-Men

DaVulture

[1]May 1, 2010
    • level: 23

http://marvel.toonzone.net/news.php?action=fullnews&id=518

Apparently they are getting rid of Spectacular Spiderman to make an Ultimate Spiderman series, and due to lack of financing Wolverine and the X-Men is pretty much over. It's a shame because they were two really good cartoons, that reminded of the good ole 90's action oriented cartoons. I was looking forward to the future of both of them, oh well I guess that's the way life goes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

elpaquilloloco

[2]May 1, 2010
    • level: 27

DaVulture wrote:

http://marvel.toonzone.net/news.php?action=fullnews&id=518

Apparently they are getting rid of Spectacular Spiderman to make an Ultimate Spiderman series, and due to lack of financing Wolverine and the X-Men is pretty much over. It's a shame because they were two really good cartoons, that reminded of the good ole 90's action oriented cartoons. I was looking forward to the future of both of them, oh well I guess that's the way life goes.

**** Disney. It's very sad because The Spectacular Spider-Man was arguably the best Marvel show ever. Too bad, too bad.

transanime

[3]May 2, 2010
    • level: 5
    nnnnnnoooooooooooooo O COME ON! What is wrong with them *******
    two great shows evening better than the 90's shows.
    that lefts only IRON MAN how long it they destory it as well?

transanime

[4]May 2, 2010
    sorry its.
    how long til they destory it as well?

DaVulture

[5]May 2, 2010

I blame the Spectacular Spiderman's cancellation on Disney, once Walt Disney grabbed the rights to Marvel Entertainment this was one of the shows they chose to let go. Why? Is it because it has something no other Disney program has? Quality. I swear Disney is only looking for trying to market the next tween form of entertainment, and get rid of anything that seems even remotely intelligent. Hence why the Spectacular Spiderman was canceled.

Also this "Ultimate Spiderman" series supposedly coming up correlates with the release of the new Spiderman reboot movie. Coincidence? I think not. Clearly Disney realizes the best way to bring back Spiderman is when they are promoting a new movie, hopefully this one will be good but knowing Disney and the direction of the current trend to make things "Kid-Friendly" I'm seeing something along the lines of "Batman: Brave and the Bold" and less like "Spectacular Spiderman."

I also blame Nickelodeon for the shows lack of success, putting it on the Nicktoons network instead of a broad based Nick channel where they show nothing but I-Carly and Spongebob, are you kidding me? You're willing to put that Victorious garbage on the television airwaves but not give a chance to allow Wolverine and the X-Men to gain a fan-base? Shuffling the series around various time-slots and not making it broad enough for a mainstream audience is what ultimately destroyed this show. Is it any wonder they didn't get any financing?

What also ticks me off is these loser internet X-Men geeks who are happy to see this show canceled because they don't want to see Wolverine as the leader, "He's not supposed to be a leader! Cyclops is! This show is awful." That's the type of publicity the X-Men fans gave this series, I swear these people have no creativity in their souls and aren't willing to give something new and bold a chance, which is one of the reasons this show was never as popular as X-Men Evolution or the original X-Men series (less internet fanboys crushing a television shows credibility).

Edited on 05/02/2010 12:36pm

EricDent1

[6]May 2, 2010
    • level: 7
    I agree that Wolverine & The X-Men was really good. I only saw a very little bit of it (due to not having Nicktoons). However from what I saw it looked cool. I never saw any of the new Spiderman show, but I heard good things about it.

At least Mr. Blum (who was the voice for Wolverine) can always go back to anime voices...

IMO Wolverine was a more interesting (and more deserving) leader of the team than Cyclops anyway.

DaVulture

[7]May 2, 2010
    EricDent1 wrote:
    I agree that Wolverine & The X-Men was really good. I only saw a very little bit of it (due to not having Nicktoons). However from what I saw it looked cool. I never saw any of the new Spiderman show, but I heard good things about it.

At least Mr. Blum (who was the voice for Wolverine) can always go back to anime voices...

IMO Wolverine was a more interesting (and more deserving) leader of the team than Cyclops anyway.

Steven Blum is also the voice of the Green Goblin on the Spectacular Spiderman. Speaking of which the 26 episodes I believe are all available on youtube just got to look for them. I don't know if Disney cares much about the copyright of this program as it's already canceled.

cube2k8

[8]May 3, 2010
    • level: 14

that stinks that there getting rid of thos two cartoons they were pretty good

Waggytoon

[9]May 6, 2010
    • level: 13

You can still catch back-to-back episodes of 'Spectacular Spider-Man' on Disney XD Saturday nights at 8:00 PM, right before the 'Naruto Shippuden' 'Super Stack" at 9:00 PM (Why did Disney XD bring back this lousy combination on Saturday nights? Their prime-time encores of the Saturday morning block was much better! At least when they properly had "Kid Vs. Kat" in that lineup! In fact, that's why Disney XD's Saturday night encore block failed- because "Kid Vs. Kat" was unfairly yanked from the block!! And now they brought back this stupid combo in the Saturday night schedule!! Yow!!!). And there may still be 'Weekday Daytime Super Stacks' of 'Spectacular Spider-Man' in Disney XD's schedule for a while before it finally gets pulled.

And nickToons will soon have a week of 'Wolverine' episodes with info popping up during each episode. Then again, nickToons did that with 'Wolverine' once before.

"Waggytoon"

DaVulture

[10]May 6, 2010
    Waggytoon wrote:

You can still catch back-to-back episodes of 'Spectacular Spider-Man' on Disney XD Saturday nights at 8:00 PM, right before the 'Naruto Shippuden' 'Super Stack" at 9:00 PM (Why did Disney XD bring back this lousy combination on Saturday nights? Their prime-time encores of the Saturday morning block was much better! At least when they properly had "Kid Vs. Kat" in that lineup! In fact, that's why Disney XD's Saturday night encore block failed- because "Kid Vs. Kat" was unfairly yanked from the block!! And now they brought back this stupid combo in the Saturday night schedule!! Yow!!!). And there may still be 'Weekday Daytime Super Stacks' of 'Spectacular Spider-Man' in Disney XD's schedule for a while before it finally gets pulled.

And nickToons will soon have a week of 'Wolverine' episodes with info popping up during each episode. Then again, nickToons did that with 'Wolverine' once before.

"Waggytoon"

It's a re-run, and I'm beginning to think your an infomercial Waggytoon.

ChucklesGotCash

[11]May 7, 2010
    • level: 1

spectacular spider-man wasnt bad, not a fan of wolverine and the x-men though

DaVulture

[12]May 7, 2010
    ChucklesGotCash wrote:

Any particular reason why?

ChucklesGotCash

[13]May 7, 2010
    • level: 1
    DaVulture wrote:
    ChucklesGotCash wrote:

Several reasons. Perhaps the biggest was the lack of any originality, it just felt generic. You know, when watching a cartoon, its hard for me to get into them cause most are for kids. But there are certain cartoons, that are just so original, creative, with underlying adult themes that will grab my attention. It wasn't horrible or anything, it just failed to grab my attention and really wow me. Spectacular was about the same, but it was entertaining at least. Although Im not too disappointed in either show being canceled. Hopefully they can produce something as good as the 90's X-Men series, which was awesome. My opinion, the three superhero animated series that all should model after, 1. Batman: The Animated Series 2. Justice League & JL:U 3. X-Men(90's)

DaVulture

[14]May 8, 2010
    ChucklesGotCash wrote:
    DaVulture wrote:
    ChucklesGotCash wrote:

Several reasons. Perhaps the biggest was the lack of any originality, it just felt generic. You know, when watching a cartoon, its hard for me to get into them cause most are for kids. But there are certain cartoons, that are just so original, creative, with underlying adult themes that will grab my attention. It wasn't horrible or anything, it just failed to grab my attention and really wow me. Spectacular was about the same, but it was entertaining at least. Although Im not too disappointed in either show being canceled. Hopefully they can produce something as good as the 90's X-Men series, which was awesome. My opinion, the three superhero animated series that all should model after, 1. Batman: The Animated Series 2. Justice League & JL:U 3. X-Men(90's)

Interesting, but I don't think Spectacular Spiderman was as much for kids as you believe, I mean Harry Osborn became a drug addict during the course of the series. I don't know how that makes it that much for kids, and I didn't think it was that generic I mean for a cartoon I think it was pretty good, creative, original and probably on par with the 3 great shows you listed above.

Wolverine was still pretty good, I mean it did was a bit "kiddie" but still I thought it was pretty creative, especially compared to most of the cartoons. I think it got a bum rap cause of the popularity and superiority of the 90's cartoon, people didn't really give it a chance especially the comic book geeks who were against Wolverine centered storyline's as well as a cartoon that wasn't the 90's version of the X-Men.

transanime

[15]May 13, 2010
    Buying x-mens titles from the 80s.
    Watched the 90s series when it came out.
    It wsa ok but was happy when it ended.
    Felt it tried too much to be like the comics.
    X-men evoultion and Wolverine and the X-men tried to be different.
    WHAT WRONG WITH BEING DIFFERENT?

DaVulture

[17]May 14, 2010

transanime wrote:
    Buying x-mens titles from the 80s. Watched the 90s series when it came out. It wsa ok but was happy when it ended. Felt it tried too much to be like the comics. X-men evoultion and Wolverine and the X-men tried to be different. WHAT WRONG WITH BEING DIFFERENT?
    See that's the problem I have with comic book geeks or "fanboys" as they like to call themselves.

These fanboys hated Wolverine and the X-Men just because Wolverine was given the role of Savior and leader, Oh no! It's an awful show because Wolverine is the leader of the X-Men and Cyclops isn't. They never look at the story, characters, action or anything else they just look at that one point and continue to make disparaging remarks about the series.

I'm happy I never became a comic book person, I watched the shows and read a couple of them (I liked a few) but for the most part I never really found it that interesting. Thankfully manga came into my life and gave me a new opportunity to discover a new platform of comics, with interesting characters, good stories, and text short and condensed to the point.

I fell in love with it. Truthfully those fanboys are more like a fraternity, they are generally unaccepting people who only like their own clique and not as friendly as anime/manga fans. For them it's all about making sure everything is factually accurate, and of course looking at pictures of Megan Fox.

Edited on 05/13/2010 11:24pm

Waggytoon

[18]May 15, 2010
    • level: 13

Guess what? Disney XD has dropped 'Spectacular Spider-Man' from their Saturday night schedule. But you can still catch back-to-back episodes this afternoon starting at 5:00 PM- AFTER today's "Kid Vs. Kat Saturday Super Stack" whcih was pushed back an hour and a half to 3:30 PM.

And starting tonight and continuing all next week nickToons will have 'Massive Episodes' of "Wolverine" with trivia about the show appearing throughout the episodes, starting at 9:00 PM.

That is, if anyone is really interested in these lousy shows which were thankfully cancelled because they were, well, fanboy- bound. Or something of that note.

"Waggytoon"

DaVulture

[19]May 15, 2010
    Waggytoon wrote:

Guess what? Disney XD has dropped 'Spectacular Spider-Man' from their Saturday night schedule. But you can still catch back-to-back episodes this afternoon starting at 5:00 PM- AFTER today's "Kid Vs. Kat Saturday Super Stack" whcih was pushed back an hour and a half to 3:30 PM.

And starting tonight and continuing all next week nickToons will have 'Massive Episodes' of "Wolverine" with trivia about the show appearing throughout the episodes, starting at 9:00 PM.

That is, if anyone is really interested in these lousy shows which were thankfully cancelled because they were, well, fanboy- bound. Or something of that note.

"Waggytoon"

They weren't that lousy.

transanime

[20]May 25, 2010

DaVulture wrote:
    Waggytoon wrote:

"Waggytoon"

They weren't that lousy.

true

two series bites the dust because Disney brought the right to marvel animation and to the ones who thinks the 90s series were the best ever.

by the way I'm 40 in a couple of days how the hell can I be a fan-boy maybe a fat-boy but not a fan-boyTongue outLaughing

but then to each his/her own