Forums: Animation: Running out of anime to watch. Help?

[1]Jan 17, 2012
    • level: 1

Hey, I've watch a ton anime and I think I've just about expended all the shows I'd enjoy watching, thus I turn to that which knows all: the internet. I've done a decent amount of searching this website along with several others to get ideas and so far these sites have paid off pretty well. Recently however I haven't been able to find an anime that has held my attention past the first 10 or so episodes. So now here I am asking you for help.

I'm searching for stuff geared towards 16+ yrs old with action, adventure, mystery, supernatural, mecha etc; that kinda stuff. Not too big on drama/romance and the shows that focus on the social life of some highschool student. Any suggestions?

Here is a list of what I've seen already to the best of my remembering capabilities (in no particular order):

Yu Yu Hakusho

One Piece

Naruto Shippuden

Rurouni Kenshin

Samurai X

Gurren Laggan

Death Note

Gundam 00

Gundam Wing

Gundam Seed

Devil May Cry

Full Metal Panic: the first raid, fumofu and the second raid

Full Metal Alchemist (and Brotherhood)

The original Yu-Gi-Oh (unfortunately)

Dragonball: original, Z and GT

Black Lagoon

Hellsing: and ultimate

.hack sign

.hack roots

cyborg 009

Ghost in the Shell: stand alone complex

Blood +

Trinity Blood

Big O

Code Geaaa: R1 & R2

Highschool of the Dead

Pilot Candidate

Elfen Lied

Ghost in the Shell SAC

Mobile Fight G Gundam

Mobile suid gundam: the 8th ms team

Neo Genesis Evangelion

Outlaw Star

Some Pokemon (which was too much pokemon...)

Queen's Blade

Blude Submarine No. 6

Samurai Champloo

Zoids: New and Chaotic Century

And that's all I can remember right now. Thanks in advance.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

[2]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 71
    Wow, that sure is a ton! I'll recommend:
    Soul Eater
    Fairy Tail (my current distraction from getting back onto One Piece)
    Hunter x Hunter / Level E (from the Yu Yu Hakusho author)
    Bakuman (from Death Note author)
    Sekirei (in case you need more fighting girls with large racks)

[3]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 17
    And now for some shows which aren't as widely known outside Japan yet (unfortunately it's easier to buy a Japanese issue Jump than most anime where I live!)

Maybe the schoolyard comedy Sket Dance. Three high school students form the Sket-dan, a group that helps fellow students out when they're having problems. It isn't dubbed yet, but the subbed version is available on legit streaming sites. It started last year and is still running.

Gintama is pretty good too. Although the main character is a twenty-something ex-samurai, it fits most of the other requirements. Set in 19th century Japan, rather than the closed state policy being toppled by the Americans, aliens invade Earth so you've got a historic/sci-fi setting. Because of a ban on swords, former samurai Gintoki starts doing free-lance work to pay his rent. Apparently some of it has been released as a sub-only DVD in the US, and most of it is also on legit streaming sites. The anime has been going for years (but it went on hiatus for a year in 2010 because they ran out of material from the manga) so if you like it you'll have 200+ episodes to watch.

The only problem is that both have a lot of Japanese in-jokes which people might not understand if they don't understand Japanese or haven't been watching Japanese TV.

[4]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 23

I'd say move toward "Young Justice" or "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" or even Spectacular Spiderman much more impressive then any anime I've seen recently then perhaps Death Note. Most of that junk their producing in Japan since FMA has been terrible.

Edited on 01/20/2012 9:32pm

[5]Feb 1, 2012
    • level: 13

There's only one anime I recommend: "Stitch! The Anime Series". The popular spinoff from the original "Lilo & Stitch" franchise is worth checking out. If you're a fan of Stitch, then these anime episodes are valued additions to your collection.

You'll have to check out the English Dub episodes on YouTube, because Disney XD yanked the series after only 4 episodes aired, and fans became very upset about that. They probably still are.

[6]Feb 3, 2012
    • level: 51

I've recently watched and highly recommend Desert Punk (available on Netflix), Gurren Lagaan (also available on Netflix) and Magical Shopping Arcade Kobenashi (on AnimeNetwork on Demand).
    I just started The World God Only Knows which is about a video game master that has to collect souls for a demon (also on AnimeNetwork).

[7]Feb 19, 2012
    • level: 7
    I think that is Abenobashi, not Kobenashi...

BTW TC why did you double space everything?

Outlaw Star
    Cowboy Bebop
    Redline (movie)

Scrapped Princess

Great Teacher Onizuka
    School Rumble
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Pani Poni Dash

Fanservice/Romantic Comedy:

Tenchi Muyo
    Ai Yori Aoshi

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Trigun Badlands Rumble
    Cowboy Bebop The Movie
    Summer Wars

[8]Mar 10, 2012
    • level: 21
    Detective Conan
    Deadman Wonderland
    The Law of Ueki
    Cromartie High School

[9]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 1
    Ao no exorcist
    Persona 4
    Guilty Crown
    Sacred Seven
    High School DxD
    those are new and good to watch

[10]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 10
    We just got done watching Steins;Gate, a really enjoyable and well crafted tale of time travel and its ramifications. For ultimate cuteness, Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki is a good choice. It is a little slice-of-lifer centering around a oblate spheroid cat named Poyo, and the family he adopted. A good runner up is Nyanpire, about a cat 'rescued' from death by the blood of a vampire. For a great school slice of life without all of the romantic encumbrance, hard to beat Azumanga Daioh, following the high school careers of six young women, mostly in a moe humorous way.

For action, try Michiko to Hatchin, a continuous chase through South American towns by prison escapee Michiko, and the little girl Hatchin that she rescued from an abusive foster family. Totally agree with those that recommended Black Lagoon. Pragmatism rules a lawless town of criminal factions in Gulf of Thailand. Drop into that the button down salaryman Rokuro Okajima who has to decided whether to return to his empty corporate existence in Japan, or start a new life in a skeevy town where danger and adventure are always just around the corner, (if it isn't standing right behind you.)

For funny and bizarre, try Thermae Romae. It follows the escapades of Lucius, a bath house architect in Hadrian's Rome, slips in the tub and wakes up in modern Japan. Lots of fish out of water humor.

For supernatural with a big dose of Japanese folklore, check out xxxHolic. Highschool student Watanuki can see ghosts, spirits, and demons, and he sure does smell good to them. A witch offers to remove this affliction, but in payment, he must work for her. Can't recommend this one highly enough.