Forums: Animation: Top 5 influential animated shows

 
  • Avatar of invaderzim17

    invaderzim17

    [1]Sep 17, 2007
    • member since: 06/04/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 127
    What does anyone think about this? I'm not asking for the best, just the most influential, in a “raising the standard” sort of way. Here's my list...

    5. Hey Arnold
    4. Looney Tunes
    3. The Ren and Stimpy Show
    2. South Park
    1. The Simpsons
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of az_0k

    az_0k

    [2]Sep 17, 2007
    • member since: 07/04/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 421
    Eureka Seven
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mother3_GBA

    Mother3_GBA

    [3]Sep 17, 2007
    • member since: 08/09/06
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 2,296
    invaderzim17 wrote:
    What does anyone think about this? I'm not asking for the best, just the most influential, in a "raising the standard" sort of way. Here's my list...

    5. Hey Arnold
    4. Looney Tunes
    3. The Ren and Stimpy Show
    2. South Park
    1. The Simpsons


    Actually, Ren and Stimpy influenced South Park, but hey, it's still a good list.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Angus_Mac

    Angus_Mac

    [4]Sep 17, 2007
    • member since: 04/29/05
    • level: 71
    • rank: Bad News Bear
    • posts: 6,487
    I'll pick old school influences

    Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
    The Flintstones
    Robotech
    Looney Tunes
    Gumby
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ImKagetsu

    ImKagetsu

    [5]Sep 17, 2007
    • member since: 01/05/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 911

    Crimany, I only get to pick five? I'll see if I can cross enough genres.

    1. Futurama, Largely inspired by "Simpsons" but was better.
    2. Code Lyoko, My first intro into the remarkable Eurome. With some of the best 3D digital I've seen short of feature films
    3. Kim Possible, probably one of the first girl centric cartoons I liked.
    4. Cowboy Bebop, the first anime that drew me into the whole genre.
    5. Daria, the first really mature comedy ever.
    I'm not going to bother with which crap shows inspired more crap shows because the generated ad revenue, or go so far back as to have the new tech change the form of animation. I'm not that detailed even with all my hauty arogance.
    Edited on 09/17/2007 8:11pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ensatsu-ken

    ensatsu-ken

    [6]Sep 17, 2007
    • member since: 10/24/06
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 6,686
    Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, South Park, Futurama, and a few other shows that I am currently forgetting .
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of qtwanderer

    qtwanderer

    [7]Sep 17, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 9,455
    Pokemon- it did bring kids closer to anime in the 90's

    dragonball z- same as above

    thundercats- for the 80's it brought up a standard

    Popeye- gave way for toons

    simpsons- that many years is an inspiration for animation

    There are others but five was the limit. I wish you would do one for films. and this list is not in anyway my personal favs (pokemon? not for me)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of frank_thetank

    frank_thetank

    [8]Sep 17, 2007
    • member since: 07/18/06
    • level: 25
    • rank: Coconut Phone
    • posts: 2,090

    1. FMA

    2. South Park

    3. Eureka Seven

    4. Dragon ball Z

    5. Gundam

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mlssangel

    mlssangel

    [9]Sep 18, 2007
    • member since: 06/27/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 5

    WITCH

    As Told by Ginger

    Avatar, The Last Airbender

    Azumanga Daioh

    Spirited Away

    Edited on 09/18/2007 3:34am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of darklordavaitor

    darklordavaitor

    [10]Sep 18, 2007
    • member since: 10/15/05
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 9,072

    Mother3_GBA wrote:
    invaderzim17 wrote:
    What does anyone think about this? I'm not asking for the best, just the most influential, in a "raising the standard" sort of way. Here's my list... 5. Hey Arnold 4. Looney Tunes 3. The Ren and Stimpy Show 2. South Park 1. The Simpsons
    Actually, Ren and Stimpy influenced South Park, but hey, it's still a good list.
    Beavis and Butthead, too. Matt & Trey even said that B&B was their major influence. I don't think a top 5 come to mind, although I will say if it wasn't for American Dragon, I would of probably given up on cartoons, and never found this site and all of my friends here.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Angus_Mac

    Angus_Mac

    [11]Sep 18, 2007
    • member since: 04/29/05
    • level: 71
    • rank: Bad News Bear
    • posts: 6,487
    I agree Popeye was a trendsetter for formula based 'toons. You could always rely on his getting out of trouble when he ate his spinach.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sylent_asassin

    sylent_asassin

    [12]Sep 18, 2007
    • member since: 06/19/05
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 9,402
    darklordavaitor wrote:

    Mother3_GBA wrote:
    invaderzim17 wrote:
    What does anyone think about this? I'm not asking for the best, just the most influential, in a "raising the standard" sort of way. Here's my list... 5. Hey Arnold 4. Looney Tunes 3. The Ren and Stimpy Show 2. South Park 1. The Simpsons
    Actually, Ren and Stimpy influenced South Park, but hey, it's still a good list.
    Beavis and Butthead, too. Matt & Trey even said that B&B was their major influence. I don't think a top 5 come to mind, although I will say if it wasn't for American Dragon, I would of probably given up on cartoons, and never found this site and all of my friends here.



    You beat me to it with Beavis & Butthead. "I am Cornholio!" As for the list:

    Superfriends (1970's)- Inspired all sorts of hero toons.

    Spiderman (1967)- Inspired the single hero toons.

    Looney Tunes- Nuff said.

    Star Blazers (1979)- Paved the way for Anime.

    Transformers- Any cartoon that featured sentient robots took bits and pieces from this show.

    Simpsons- There are at least 5 other shows that used this show's blueprints.

    Power Rangers- While not animated, it spawned all kinds of other shows.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SaiyanPhoenix

    SaiyanPhoenix

    [13]Sep 18, 2007
    • member since: 09/18/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 30
    Family Guy it tells us to look outside the box
    "Play wheels on the bus and get the hell out of my sight"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of darklordavaitor

    darklordavaitor

    [14]Sep 18, 2007
    • member since: 10/15/05
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 9,072
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    darklordavaitor wrote:

    Mother3_GBA wrote:
    invaderzim17 wrote:
    What does anyone think about this? I'm not asking for the best, just the most influential, in a "raising the standard" sort of way. Here's my list... 5. Hey Arnold 4. Looney Tunes 3. The Ren and Stimpy Show 2. South Park 1. The Simpsons
    Actually, Ren and Stimpy influenced South Park, but hey, it's still a good list.
    Beavis and Butthead, too. Matt & Trey even said that B&B was their major influence. I don't think a top 5 come to mind, although I will say if it wasn't for American Dragon, I would of probably given up on cartoons, and never found this site and all of my friends here.

    You beat me to it with Beavis & Butthead. "I am Cornholio!" As for the list:

    Superfriends (1970's)- Inspired all sorts of hero toons.

    Spiderman (1967)- Inspired the single hero toons.

    Looney Tunes- Nuff said.

    Star Blazers (1979)- Paved the way for Anime.

    Transformers- Any cartoon that featured sentient robots took bits and pieces from this show.

    Simpsons- There are at least 5 other shows that used this show's blueprints.

    Power Rangers- While not animated, it spawned all kinds of other shows.

    Good points, mind if I adda few more?

    Crusader Rabbit- Made televised animation possible.

    The Ruff & Reddy Show- Hanna-Barbera's first studio work.

    The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show- 'Nuff said.

    The Huckleberry Hound Show- First animated series to win an Emmy, plus it gave us Yogi Bear.

    The Flintstones- First animated series for television to not star animals, and the first prime time animated comedy. The famous "The Blessed Event', best known as the birth of Pebbles, matched the ratings of the birth episode of I Love Lucy.

    Jonny Quest- The first action-adventure cartoon, and far from the last.

    A lot more will come, I assure.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ImperialLegend

    ImperialLegend

    [15]Sep 18, 2007
    • member since: 06/19/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 18

    1) The Flintstones- First prime time animated program.This show influenced the Simpsons.

    2) Superman the show from the 40's I think or maybe the 50's- to my knowledge this was the 1st superhero cartoon

    3) Scooby Doo- it started in the 60's and still can be seen on tv today

    4) The Smurfs- Don't laugh in the early 80's Saturday morning cartoons where dead everything was a rehash from the 60's and 70's this allowed Saturday a life extension for another decade or so so said a former CBS exec.

    5) School House Rock- why the first E\I program

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Priest-Ohm

    Priest-Ohm

    [16]Sep 18, 2007
    • member since: 03/10/06
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 1,474
    frank_thetank wrote:

    1. FMA

    2. South Park

    3. Eureka Seven

    4. Dragon ball Z

    5. Gundam


    Agreed with everything on this list, just not in the right order.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tvssecondchild

    tvssecondchild

    [17]Sep 19, 2007
    • member since: 09/16/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,984

    The Simpsons

    The Flintstones

    Captian Planet

    Tom and Jerry

    Captian N: The GameMaster

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Master_M2K

    Master_M2K

    [18]Sep 19, 2007
    • member since: 10/27/05
    • level: 58
    • rank: Dead Parrot
    • posts: 2,032

    These are in no order but the Top 5 has got to be:

    • Cowboy Bebop
    • Fist of the North Star
    • Mushishi
    • Neon Genesis Evangelion
    • Tom and Jerry ^_^
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ultimate_Critic

    Ultimate_Critic

    [19]Sep 19, 2007
    • member since: 10/27/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 2,583
    The Flintstones

    The Simpsons

    South Park

    Cowboy Bebop

    X-Men
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of King_CGF

    King_CGF

    [20]Sep 19, 2007
    • member since: 09/03/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 449
    1.Dragonball series- basically any creator of an anime series who says they weren't inspired by this show is lying. It set the standard for action animes.

    2.Simpsons- I don't really even like the show, but the truth is, many shows have used the simpson's example to their advantage.

    3.Gundam- Set the standard for Mech animes.

    4.Death Note- I think this will be very influencial at some point in time. Never have I seen such an original or brilliant series....

    5.Looney Toons- Any cartoon using physical humore (Besides T&J) are modeling themselves after Looney toons.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.