Forums: Animation: What are some Anime channels?

DemonInuyasha24

[1]May 30, 2006
    • level: 12
    I am asking because I am always getting up late to adultswim and I have heard on channels like TV Tokyo but isn't it only in japanese?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Priest-Ohm

[2]May 30, 2006
    • level: 15
    You know you could just record the anime you like.

Magicalboy

[3]May 30, 2006
    • level: 28
    the anime channel

Dark_InuYasha17

[4]May 30, 2006
    • level: 24
    Magicalboy wrote:
    the anime channel

How do you get the Anime Channel and can it be bought in Canada? They say it's illegal to have this Channel due to the Canadian content law.

gunner_yuna123

[5]May 30, 2006
    • level: 13
    I know what your talking about Anime Network.

Magicalboy

[6]May 30, 2006
    Dark_InuYasha17 wrote:
    Magicalboy wrote:
    the anime channel
    How do you get the Anime Channel and can it be bought in Canada? They say it's illegal to have this Channel due to the Canadian content law.
    i dont know, i dont hav it, i dont think i can hab it cuz i got DirectTV

tvssecondchild

[7]May 30, 2006
    • level: 14

There's the Funimation channel (that few people get), some channels show anime like Azn network or Encore network. G4 used to show anime on Anime Unleashed.

Currently your only choices are Anime Network or the Funimation channel (whenever they get it up and running).

LSyd

[8]May 31, 2006
    • level: 17
    Dark_InuYasha17 wrote:
    Magicalboy wrote:
    the anime channel

I think he means the Anime Network. Now, this is a direct quote from the FAQ on their site:

The Anime Network FAQ wrote:
    Why isn't the Anime Network available on the frozen tundras of solitude known as Canada?

I don't know. I am totally wondering the same thing. You have me completely stuped. We ARE available on Rogers and Shaw, two of Canadas most popular cable distributors. Give 'em a ringy-dingy.

It seems to only be available on digital cable though, and I'd assume that the Canadian content laws don't apply to them for some reason.

ZaleIsBackAgain

[9]May 31, 2006
    • level: 47
    Anime is like banned in Canada, or so I've heard because they think all anime contains loads of fanservice, labeling it as a perverted form of entertainment.

Dark_InuYasha17

[10]May 31, 2006
    ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:
    Anime is like banned in Canada, or so I've heard because they think all anime contains loads of fanservice, labeling it as a perverted form of entertainment.

Well Canadian needs our anime fill too. Not just Americans. Canada needs to get a channel based on anime.

LSyd

[11]May 31, 2006
    Dark_InuYasha17 wrote:
    ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:

Well Canadian needs our anime fill too. Not just Americans. Canada needs to get a channel based on anime.

Everyone needs their fill of anime. But Canada may not have enough of an audience to make an anime channel viable. Australia might not either. That's why we should first support the anime that's shown on existing channels, and I know that there's some over there, just like we've got ours.

Only when there is enough interest would the networks consider making an anime channel, but first they need to be convinced that it's worth their money. The US has a large population and so they'd be able to cater to a much larger audience than Australia, Canada or probably even the UK. Sure, the licenses would be less for smaller countries, but the cost of running the station would be almost the same, and that's the big problem.

Magicalboy

[12]May 31, 2006
    Dark_InuYasha17 wrote:
    ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:
    well, at least be glad YTV shows kool anime 4 u guys

Magicalboy

[13]May 31, 2006

"DirecTV added Anime Network to channel 177 on February 1st, 2006.
    DirecTV dropped Anime Network on channel 177 on March 2006."

oh, this is just PEACHYY!!!

tvssecondchild

[14]May 31, 2006
    • level: 14

LSyd wrote:
    Dark_InuYasha17 wrote:
    ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:
    Everyone needs their fill of anime. But Canada may not have enough of an audience to make an anime channel viable. Australia might not either. That's why we should first support the anime that's shown on existing channels, and I know that there's some over there, just like we've got ours. Only when there is enough interest would the networks consider making an anime channel, but first they need to be convinced that it's worth their money. The US has a large population and so they'd be able to cater to a much larger audience than Australia, Canada or probably even the UK. Sure, the licenses would be less for smaller countries, but the cost of running the station would be almost the same, and that's the big problem.

Just because America has a larger population it doesn't mean that our anime devotion is that much larger. More often then not I think a lot of Americans are turned off to anime or consider it to be "weird cartoons" and can't understand it, therefore some dismiss it.

LSyd

[15]May 31, 2006

tvssecondchild wrote:
    Just because America has a larger population it doesn't mean that our anime devotion is that much larger. More often then not I think a lot of Americans are turned off to anime or consider it to be "weird cartoons" and can't understand it, therefore some dismiss it.

Perhaps, but I'd still expect the US to have a larger audience than Australia and Canada. Although the US probably does have more people wary of such shows, the population is considerably larger. The US has 220 million people, as opposed to Canada's 30 million and Australia's 20 million. I find it rather difficult to believe that as a proportion of the population, anime only has 8-12% of the popularity it would here and in Canada (to give around the same number of viewers).

The US doesn't have the same level of influence from foreign media, and so I'd understand if it was less popular as a proportion, but since the US has a booming anime market compared to other English-speaking countries, it would still have a fair amount of popularity with its larger population.

Dark_InuYasha17

[16]May 31, 2006
    YTV only shows a couple of good anime and Teletoon shows nothing at all! Canada needs a 3rd kids cartoon channel with MORE anime on it. No next bars or pushing of credits though.

LSyd

[17]May 31, 2006
    I agree that Canada should get more anime. I handed in my form for International Studies late, so rather than getting to go to Japan in 2009 I might be sent to Montreal instead...

Does Canada have a channel dedicated to multicultural broadcasts? The reason I ask is that over here we've got a channel that has a lot of shows from non-English speaking countries, and they've got quite a few anime movies on late at night. It's not a regular occurance, but they're sometimes worth watching.

Blazian4eva

[18]Jun 13, 2006
    • level: 1
    LSyd wrote:

tvssecondchild wrote:

Perhaps, but I'd still expect the US to have a larger audience than Australia and Canada. Although the US probably does have more people wary of such shows, the population is considerably larger. The US has 220 million people, as opposed to Canada's 30 million and Australia's 20 million. I find it rather difficult to believe that as a proportion of the population, anime only has 8-12% of the popularity it would here and in Canada (to give around the same number of viewers).

The US doesn't have the same level of influence from foreign media, and so I'd understand if it was less popular as a proportion, but since the US has a booming anime market compared to other English-speaking countries, it would still have a fair amount of popularity with its larger population.

there's tons and tons of anime lovers in canada and it's very popular here so alot of fans are pissed off at the channels not showing enough anime probably because of Canadas strict TV content regulation. YTV can't put on shows that are not Canadian based because half Canadian Channels have American shows and movies but not enough Canadian shows. That's why there are few canadian channels displaying other shows  that are not canadian. America does not have this problem because basically all their channels and shows are made there and everyone watches them for free or pays for cable i'm not sure whether or not americans pay for the Cartoon Network but people in canada certainly have to pay in order to watch this channel. So it's not because it's not popular in Canada it's because of the regulations there's just not enough TV channels that are canadian based the only ones i can think of are CBC, YTV,TELETOON,SUNTV,CLOBAL,OMNI1 & 2, CITYTV AND CP24 thats's all I can think of right now and some of these channels still show non-canadian shows which really in reality are more appealing to Canadian viewers than actual canadian content.

LSyd

[19]Jun 14, 2006

Blazian4eva wrote:
    there's tons and tons of anime lovers in canada and it's very popular here so alot of fans are pissed off at the channels not showing enough anime probably because of Canadas strict TV content regulation. YTV can't put on shows that are not Canadian based because half Canadian Channels have American shows and movies but not enough Canadian shows. That's why there are few canadian channels displaying other shows  that are not canadian. America does not have this problem because basically all their channels and shows are made there and everyone watches them for free or pays for cable i'm not sure whether or not americans pay for the Cartoon Network but people in canada certainly have to pay in order to watch this channel. So it's not because it's not popular in Canada it's because of the regulations there's just not enough TV channels that are canadian based the only ones i can think of are CBC, YTV,TELETOON,SUNTV,CLOBAL,OMNI1 & 2, CITYTV AND CP24 thats's all I can think of right now and some of these channels still show non-canadian shows which really in reality are more appealing to Canadian viewers than actual canadian content.

I know how that problem works, I live in Australia where there are similar local content laws. But YTV has apparently shown anime before, despite your insistence that it only shows Canadian content. The way they got around it was to show anime that was dubbed in Canada - it would seem that this makes it sufficiently Canadian to broadcast there.

One question that needs to be asked is this: if the other channels are prepared to show foreign shows as they are more appealing to the Canadian viewers, shouldn't they be able to use their allowance for imported programming on anime as well? If it's truly got as much of a following as you say it has, then the networks would probably be able to justify replacing a few of their other imported shows with anime that was not dubbed in Canada.

There are many reasons that the networks get programming from other countries (generally the US and UK). One of the main factors is that it's invariably cheaper to do so than to produce the shows locally, particularly when you aren't going to be able to sell them in other countries. One thing that the Canadian networks seem to have been doing lately that I've noticed (yes, we do get Canadian shows in Australia) is producing the shows in association with networks in other countries, resulting in it being cheaper to produce as well as keeping money in the two countries and helping the local talent get noticed elsewhere. Licensing foreign shows also reduces the risk the networks take, because they don't need to license the unsuccessful shows, only the good ones.

Maybe you guys could get the networks to play some anime instead of some of the American shows, but I'm not sure of the proportion they're allowed to have over there so I can't really say whether that would work properly.

peterg14

[20]Jun 14, 2006
    I wish they would get Anime Network on Comcast! They have it On Demand, but I want the whole channel.