Forums: Animation: What are some Anime channels?

 
  • Avatar of DemonInuyasha24

    DemonInuyasha24

    [1]May 30, 2006
    • member since: 09/26/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 109
    I am asking because I am always getting up late to adultswim and I have heard on channels like TV Tokyo but isn't it only in japanese?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Priest-Ohm

    Priest-Ohm

    [2]May 30, 2006
    • member since: 03/10/06
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 1,474
    You know you could just record the anime you like.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Magicalboy

    Magicalboy

    [3]May 30, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 15,548
    the anime channel
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dark_InuYasha17

    Dark_InuYasha17

    [4]May 30, 2006
    • member since: 06/06/05
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 4,203
    Magicalboy wrote:
    the anime channel


    How do you get the Anime Channel and can it be bought in Canada? They say it's illegal to have this Channel due to the Canadian content law.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gunner_yuna123

    gunner_yuna123

    [5]May 30, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 4,844
    I know what your talking about Anime Network.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Magicalboy

    Magicalboy

    [6]May 30, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 15,548
    Dark_InuYasha17 wrote:
    Magicalboy wrote:
    the anime channel
    How do you get the Anime Channel and can it be bought in Canada? They say it's illegal to have this Channel due to the Canadian content law.
    i dont know, i dont hav it, i dont think i can hab it cuz i got DirectTV
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tvssecondchild

    tvssecondchild

    [7]May 30, 2006
    • member since: 09/16/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,984

    There's the Funimation channel (that few people get), some channels show anime like Azn network or Encore network. G4 used to show anime on Anime Unleashed.

    Currently your only choices are Anime Network or the Funimation channel (whenever they get it up and running).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LSyd

    LSyd

    [8]May 31, 2006
    • member since: 11/24/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 4,418
    Dark_InuYasha17 wrote:
    Magicalboy wrote:
    the anime channel


    How do you get the Anime Channel and can it be bought in Canada? They say it's illegal to have this Channel due to the Canadian content law.

    I think he means the Anime Network. Now, this is a direct quote from the FAQ on their site:

    The Anime Network FAQ wrote:
    Why isn't the Anime Network available on the frozen tundras of solitude known as Canada?

    I don't know. I am totally wondering the same thing. You have me completely stuped. We ARE available on Rogers and Shaw, two of Canadas most popular cable distributors. Give 'em a ringy-dingy.


    It seems to only be available on digital cable though, and I'd assume that the Canadian content laws don't apply to them for some reason.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ZaleIsBackAgain

    ZaleIsBackAgain

    [9]May 31, 2006
    • member since: 02/01/04
    • level: 47
    • rank: A-Teamer
    • posts: 3,044
    Anime is like banned in Canada, or so I've heard because they think all anime contains loads of fanservice, labeling it as a perverted form of entertainment.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dark_InuYasha17

    Dark_InuYasha17

    [10]May 31, 2006
    • member since: 06/06/05
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 4,203
    ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:
    Anime is like banned in Canada, or so I've heard because they think all anime contains loads of fanservice, labeling it as a perverted form of entertainment.


    Well Canadian needs our anime fill too. Not just Americans. Canada needs to get a channel based on anime.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LSyd

    LSyd

    [11]May 31, 2006
    • member since: 11/24/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 4,418
    Dark_InuYasha17 wrote:
    ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:
    Anime is like banned in Canada, or so I've heard because they think all anime contains loads of fanservice, labeling it as a perverted form of entertainment.


    Well Canadian needs our anime fill too. Not just Americans. Canada needs to get a channel based on anime.

    Everyone needs their fill of anime. But Canada may not have enough of an audience to make an anime channel viable. Australia might not either. That's why we should first support the anime that's shown on existing channels, and I know that there's some over there, just like we've got ours.

    Only when there is enough interest would the networks consider making an anime channel, but first they need to be convinced that it's worth their money. The US has a large population and so they'd be able to cater to a much larger audience than Australia, Canada or probably even the UK. Sure, the licenses would be less for smaller countries, but the cost of running the station would be almost the same, and that's the big problem.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Magicalboy

    Magicalboy

    [12]May 31, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 15,548
    Dark_InuYasha17 wrote:
    ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:
    Anime is like banned in Canada, or so I've heard because they think all anime contains loads of fanservice, labeling it as a perverted form of entertainment.
    Well Canadian needs our anime fill too. Not just Americans. Canada needs to get a channel based on anime.
    well, at least be glad YTV shows kool anime 4 u guys
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Magicalboy

    Magicalboy

    [13]May 31, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 15,548

    "DirecTV added Anime Network to channel 177 on February 1st, 2006.
    DirecTV dropped Anime Network on channel 177 on March 2006."

    oh, this is just PEACHYY!!!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tvssecondchild

    tvssecondchild

    [14]May 31, 2006
    • member since: 09/16/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,984

    LSyd wrote:
    Dark_InuYasha17 wrote:
    ZaleIsBackAgain wrote:
    Anime is like banned in Canada, or so I've heard because they think all anime contains loads of fanservice, labeling it as a perverted form of entertainment.
    Well Canadian needs our anime fill too. Not just Americans. Canada needs to get a channel based on anime.
    Everyone needs their fill of anime. But Canada may not have enough of an audience to make an anime channel viable. Australia might not either. That's why we should first support the anime that's shown on existing channels, and I know that there's some over there, just like we've got ours. Only when there is enough interest would the networks consider making an anime channel, but first they need to be convinced that it's worth their money. The US has a large population and so they'd be able to cater to a much larger audience than Australia, Canada or probably even the UK. Sure, the licenses would be less for smaller countries, but the cost of running the station would be almost the same, and that's the big problem.

    Just because America has a larger population it doesn't mean that our anime devotion is that much larger. More often then not I think a lot of Americans are turned off to anime or consider it to be "weird cartoons" and can't understand it, therefore some dismiss it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LSyd

    LSyd

    [15]May 31, 2006
    • member since: 11/24/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 4,418

    tvssecondchild wrote:
    Just because America has a larger population it doesn't mean that our anime devotion is that much larger. More often then not I think a lot of Americans are turned off to anime or consider it to be "weird cartoons" and can't understand it, therefore some dismiss it.

    Perhaps, but I'd still expect the US to have a larger audience than Australia and Canada. Although the US probably does have more people wary of such shows, the population is considerably larger. The US has 220 million people, as opposed to Canada's 30 million and Australia's 20 million. I find it rather difficult to believe that as a proportion of the population, anime only has 8-12% of the popularity it would here and in Canada (to give around the same number of viewers).

    The US doesn't have the same level of influence from foreign media, and so I'd understand if it was less popular as a proportion, but since the US has a booming anime market compared to other English-speaking countries, it would still have a fair amount of popularity with its larger population.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dark_InuYasha17

    Dark_InuYasha17

    [16]May 31, 2006
    • member since: 06/06/05
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 4,203
    YTV only shows a couple of good anime and Teletoon shows nothing at all! Canada needs a 3rd kids cartoon channel with MORE anime on it. No next bars or pushing of credits though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LSyd

    LSyd

    [17]May 31, 2006
    • member since: 11/24/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 4,418
    I agree that Canada should get more anime. I handed in my form for International Studies late, so rather than getting to go to Japan in 2009 I might be sent to Montreal instead...

    Does Canada have a channel dedicated to multicultural broadcasts? The reason I ask is that over here we've got a channel that has a lot of shows from non-English speaking countries, and they've got quite a few anime movies on late at night. It's not a regular occurance, but they're sometimes worth watching.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Blazian4eva

    Blazian4eva

    [18]Jun 13, 2006
    • member since: 06/13/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    LSyd wrote:

    tvssecondchild wrote:
    Just because America has a larger population it doesn't mean that our anime devotion is that much larger. More often then not I think a lot of Americans are turned off to anime or consider it to be "weird cartoons" and can't understand it, therefore some dismiss it.

    Perhaps, but I'd still expect the US to have a larger audience than Australia and Canada. Although the US probably does have more people wary of such shows, the population is considerably larger. The US has 220 million people, as opposed to Canada's 30 million and Australia's 20 million. I find it rather difficult to believe that as a proportion of the population, anime only has 8-12% of the popularity it would here and in Canada (to give around the same number of viewers).

    The US doesn't have the same level of influence from foreign media, and so I'd understand if it was less popular as a proportion, but since the US has a booming anime market compared to other English-speaking countries, it would still have a fair amount of popularity with its larger population.

    there's tons and tons of anime lovers in canada and it's very popular here so alot of fans are pissed off at the channels not showing enough anime probably because of Canadas strict TV content regulation. YTV can't put on shows that are not Canadian based because half Canadian Channels have American shows and movies but not enough Canadian shows. That's why there are few canadian channels displaying other shows  that are not canadian. America does not have this problem because basically all their channels and shows are made there and everyone watches them for free or pays for cable i'm not sure whether or not americans pay for the Cartoon Network but people in canada certainly have to pay in order to watch this channel. So it's not because it's not popular in Canada it's because of the regulations there's just not enough TV channels that are canadian based the only ones i can think of are CBC, YTV,TELETOON,SUNTV,CLOBAL,OMNI1 & 2, CITYTV AND CP24 thats's all I can think of right now and some of these channels still show non-canadian shows which really in reality are more appealing to Canadian viewers than actual canadian content.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LSyd

    LSyd

    [19]Jun 14, 2006
    • member since: 11/24/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 4,418

    Blazian4eva wrote:
    there's tons and tons of anime lovers in canada and it's very popular here so alot of fans are pissed off at the channels not showing enough anime probably because of Canadas strict TV content regulation. YTV can't put on shows that are not Canadian based because half Canadian Channels have American shows and movies but not enough Canadian shows. That's why there are few canadian channels displaying other shows  that are not canadian. America does not have this problem because basically all their channels and shows are made there and everyone watches them for free or pays for cable i'm not sure whether or not americans pay for the Cartoon Network but people in canada certainly have to pay in order to watch this channel. So it's not because it's not popular in Canada it's because of the regulations there's just not enough TV channels that are canadian based the only ones i can think of are CBC, YTV,TELETOON,SUNTV,CLOBAL,OMNI1 & 2, CITYTV AND CP24 thats's all I can think of right now and some of these channels still show non-canadian shows which really in reality are more appealing to Canadian viewers than actual canadian content.

    I know how that problem works, I live in Australia where there are similar local content laws. But YTV has apparently shown anime before, despite your insistence that it only shows Canadian content. The way they got around it was to show anime that was dubbed in Canada - it would seem that this makes it sufficiently Canadian to broadcast there.

    One question that needs to be asked is this: if the other channels are prepared to show foreign shows as they are more appealing to the Canadian viewers, shouldn't they be able to use their allowance for imported programming on anime as well? If it's truly got as much of a following as you say it has, then the networks would probably be able to justify replacing a few of their other imported shows with anime that was not dubbed in Canada.

    There are many reasons that the networks get programming from other countries (generally the US and UK). One of the main factors is that it's invariably cheaper to do so than to produce the shows locally, particularly when you aren't going to be able to sell them in other countries. One thing that the Canadian networks seem to have been doing lately that I've noticed (yes, we do get Canadian shows in Australia) is producing the shows in association with networks in other countries, resulting in it being cheaper to produce as well as keeping money in the two countries and helping the local talent get noticed elsewhere. Licensing foreign shows also reduces the risk the networks take, because they don't need to license the unsuccessful shows, only the good ones.

    Maybe you guys could get the networks to play some anime instead of some of the American shows, but I'm not sure of the proportion they're allowed to have over there so I can't really say whether that would work properly.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of peterg14

    peterg14

    [20]Jun 14, 2006
    • member since: 10/31/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,623
    I wish they would get Anime Network on Comcast! They have it On Demand, but I want the whole channel.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.