Forums: Animation: What is the best anime ever?

xenherc

[101]Oct 11, 2007
    • level: 10
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    darklordavaitor wrote:
    Anything Miyazaki, really. Well, I never really cared for Princess Mononoke, which, to be honest, I never really cared for. Put Eva, on, too. I honestly cannot see why anyone would ever want to watch Naruto. At all.

That's most likely because you are bit older, and more mature, than most Naruto fans, who seem to have gotten into the show as elementary or middle schoolers. The show loses a lot of its appeal for most older viewers, unless they started watching the show at a younger age, I would assume.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

darklordavaitor

[102]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 21
    warnerbroman wrote:
    pokemon
    Uh... No comment.

warnerbroman

[103]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 15
    darklordavaitor wrote:
    warnerbroman wrote:
    pokemon
    Uh... No comment.
    lol well back then it was to me

bryanoftoons

[104]Oct 13, 2007
    • level: 11
    championking wrote:
    One Piece! For anyone who hasn't seen the original version, you should give it a try, the dub is just horrible. Arcs are gone, character's personalities change, it's just horrible. I love the original version, and it probably would be a lot bigger in the states if 4kids didn't kill it.

But I like the dub. It's a lot better than the original version to me.

ensatsu-ken

[105]Oct 13, 2007
    • level: 19
    bryanoftoons wrote:
    championking wrote:
    One Piece! For anyone who hasn't seen the original version, you should give it a try, the dub is just horrible. Arcs are gone, character's personalities change, it's just horrible. I love the original version, and it probably would be a lot bigger in the states if 4kids didn't kill it.

But I like the dub. It's a lot better than the original version to me.

I like the FUNimation dub a lot better than the 4kids dub .

arx-7arbalest

[106]Oct 14, 2007
    • level: 2
    jasowaso wrote:
    McFrips wrote:
    yeah, Naruto was good for the first 40 episodes, but I cannot stand a show thats on that long (DbZ?)

Personally I loved Last Exile, GunGrave and Trigun. I prefer animes with a set story/scope in mind that realize it through the set episodes. Anything more than 40 episodes looses my interest. I am not saying that Naruto isn't good, but its not my cup of tea. Last Exile was fresh and intriguing. Gungrave brought up some pretty hefty ideas and commentary. And Trigun went from a comedic romp to a very serious action drama.

personally im sort of sick of most animes that just stop after 30 eps, never to be seen again. im glad bleach is at ep 77 and promises more soon. dont get me wrong, i think its great with set storylines for the entire series, but when done correctly, its possible for a anime to lead into different storys. so far bleach has done it all right, switched storys and recycled charcaters realli well, unlike DBZ (after frieza saga)

Are you serious?
    A. Bleach is actually on episode 143 with a gigantic filler arc. You won't believe how many noobs screaming "It'll get better when the filler is over." I sat through all of the filler and then what do I get. The exact same plot as the soul society arc with different powers. B. Most anime that have gone past the 26 episode mark have loads of filler and drag everything out. You seriously want something that has no conclusion. The never ending adventure. In any story, theres gotta be a conclusion. Almost any anime that has more than 100 episodes either doesn't have one or has a horrible cheesetastic ending. C. Every decade or so, experts on anime find that there is one revolutionary anime. The 80s had Akira. The 90s had Evangelion. They say 2000 is all about The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Akira is a movie. Evangelion had 26 episodes. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya had 14. You ever notice how Pokemon, Naruto, and One Piece have the same plot. I wanna be (insert title here). They are all overrated, childish, lack depth, horribly told, painfully dragged out, and completely unoriginal. Bleach is easily in the same boat as Naruto as being one of the most overrated titles today except it can slightly hold its own as a better shounen because it's for a more mature audience and is less cliche. Both of them are still a far cry from the best. Another overrated anime would be Death Note. Yeah, I said it. Death Note is overrated. I love Death Note, but the entire premise of it was that it was supposedly Genius vs. Genius. Never in any instance did I find them to be incredibly smart. Vigilant, cunning, shrewd, yes they are all of that. However, I never seen anything that they did that was so brilliant that I can say "OH Wow I would have never thought of that." The high point of Death Note is the story telling. It was brilliantly told, but it fell ever since L died. Not because I'm an L fanboy, but that the entire thing was basically supposed to reflect on their rivalry against eachother and then it just felt like they added Mellow and Near just so they can give the story a happy ending and sqeeze in a couple if extra dollars out of it. Also, I just found no character development whatsoever, which isn't actually necessary, but you feel more connected to a character that grows as you watch them. *Note Naruto never grows up and is completely static. The only way they make him seem like he's maturing is by making other characters say "Naruto is maturing" even though he really isn't.

I would say the Best would be along the lines of Monster, Mushishi, Samurai X:Trust and Betrayal, or maybe even Neon Genesis Evangelion. It wasn't a stretch to the last one 7 or 8 years ago. Heck.....it isn't that far of a stretch to say that even now.

luismegatron

[107]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 1

THE BEST KNOWN ANIME EVER IS THE ONE AND ONLY DRADONBALL Z GUYS I DONT CARE WHAT NOW ONE SAYS

Priest-Ohm

[108]Nov 5, 2007
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    epayps2 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    smilerooney wrote:
    i dont know how you can say just one series to be the best. its very hard to separate the top anime in order of quality. i personally have a lot of anime that i love that i cant say are different in how good they are. they include beck, death note, bleach, claymore and hikaru no go.
    As for Bleach, I suppose that it would be one of your favorites, if it was one of the first anime that you watched, however I saw it after watching quite a few anime, and while I really liked the SS arc, I feel that every other arc of the series so far is rather average. I have not yet seen Beck or Claymore.
    I actually liked the first arc better. I think it looked better, and darker. I think it started getting slow when it got to the SS arc, and after the Ichigo vs. Kenpatchi(sp?)fight it started going down in quality, IMO. Although I only watch the dub, so I am not up to date with it.

I personally found the beginning of Bleach to be rather boring. It was incredibly average with the first few episodes, and didn't to make itself more than a mediocre anime, until the SS arc, IMO.

People still watch Bleach right now despite it takes a whole episode for a group to walk a mile. The reason for this is because they expect the Arrancar fights to be as good as the SS fights. I too am hoping for this, yet I know it will probably not happen.

Bleach got lucky with Soul Society. The opening episodes were very boring but I heard it was a promising anime. Eventually it was. They should have ended it after Soul Society though.

frank_thetank

[109]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 25
    Were actually trying to figure out the answer to this question by having a tournament. Its already in the second round but you can still vote for your faves. just go to my profile to vote.

sekretoz006

[110]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 1

for me the top 5 best anime !

1. Initial D

2. Naruto

3. hunter x hunter

4. Samurai X

5. Bleach

Who want's to disagree?!

az_0k

[111]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 8
    arx-7arbalest wrote:
    jasowaso wrote:
    McFrips wrote:
    yeah, Naruto was good for the first 40 episodes, but I cannot stand a show thats on that long (DbZ?)

Personally I loved Last Exile, GunGrave and Trigun. I prefer animes with a set story/scope in mind that realize it through the set episodes. Anything more than 40 episodes looses my interest. I am not saying that Naruto isn't good, but its not my cup of tea. Last Exile was fresh and intriguing. Gungrave brought up some pretty hefty ideas and commentary. And Trigun went from a comedic romp to a very serious action drama.

personally im sort of sick of most animes that just stop after 30 eps, never to be seen again. im glad bleach is at ep 77 and promises more soon. dont get me wrong, i think its great with set storylines for the entire series, but when done correctly, its possible for a anime to lead into different storys. so far bleach has done it all right, switched storys and recycled charcaters realli well, unlike DBZ (after frieza saga)

Are you serious?
    A. Bleach is actually on episode 143 with a gigantic filler arc. You won't believe how many noobs screaming "It'll get better when the filler is over." I sat through all of the filler and then what do I get. The exact same plot as the soul society arc with different powers. B. Most anime that have gone past the 26 episode mark have loads of filler and drag everything out. You seriously want something that has no conclusion. The never ending adventure. In any story, theres gotta be a conclusion. Almost any anime that has more than 100 episodes either doesn't have one or has a horrible cheesetastic ending. C. Every decade or so, experts on anime find that there is one revolutionary anime. The 80s had Akira. The 90s had Evangelion. They say 2000 is all about The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Akira is a movie. Evangelion had 26 episodes. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya had 14. You ever notice how Pokemon, Naruto, and One Piece have the same plot. I wanna be (insert title here). They are all overrated, childish, lack depth, horribly told, painfully dragged out, and completely unoriginal. Bleach is easily in the same boat as Naruto as being one of the most overrated titles today except it can slightly hold its own as a better shounen because it's for a more mature audience and is less cliche. Both of them are still a far cry from the best. Another overrated anime would be Death Note. Yeah, I said it. Death Note is overrated. I love Death Note, but the entire premise of it was that it was supposedly Genius vs. Genius. Never in any instance did I find them to be incredibly smart. Vigilant, cunning, shrewd, yes they are all of that. However, I never seen anything that they did that was so brilliant that I can say "OH Wow I would have never thought of that." The high point of Death Note is the story telling. It was brilliantly told, but it fell ever since L died. Not because I'm an L fanboy, but that the entire thing was basically supposed to reflect on their rivalry against eachother and then it just felt like they added Mellow and Near just so they can give the story a happy ending and sqeeze in a couple if extra dollars out of it. Also, I just found no character development whatsoever, which isn't actually necessary, but you feel more connected to a character that grows as you watch them. *Note Naruto never grows up and is completely static. The only way they make him seem like he's maturing is by making other characters say "Naruto is maturing" even though he really isn't.

I would say the Best would be along the lines of Monster, Mushishi, Samurai X:Trust and Betrayal, or maybe even Neon Genesis Evangelion. It wasn't a stretch to the last one 7 or 8 years ago. Heck.....it isn't that far of a stretch to say that even now.

If 2000 is all about MHS then I don't know what to say. Recent shows are mostly horrible but they did make one miracle that's Eureka Seven IMO. PS I can't agree you more on "Note Naruto never grows up and is completely static. The only way they make him seem like he's maturing is by making other characters say "Naruto is maturing" even though he really isn't."

Angus_Mac

[112]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 71
    Woo hoo! Someone mentions Initial D!

It may be this year's cult-darling from Kyoto Animation, but to me, MHS isn't any more decade defining than Fruits Basket. As for Naruto and Bleach sharing the same themes of competition and overall goals of becoming great, that might be one of those theme requirements for it to appear in the Shonen Jump along with Yu Yu Hakusho, Yu-Gi-Oh, Prince of Tennis, and Hikaru no Go.

vegetarian_jcer

[113]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 11
    az_0k wrote:

If 2000 is all about MHS then I don't know what to say.

Now, what's that supposed to mean?

az_0k

[114]Nov 14, 2007
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:

MHS might be the king of comedy (which I doubt it) but it doesn't have a point.

Foggle

[115]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 18

az_0k wrote:
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:

MHS is definitely NOT the king of comedy. Excel Saga (manga version, volumes 6+) is hilarious and has a really good story. Don't judge the story, humor, or characters based on the f**king anime, which is comparable to the Hellsing TV anime and Samurai X by the fact that it ruins what makes the manga great and is basically non-canon. The Excel Saga manga beats all other gag anime and manga into the ground, but that's just my opinion.

Edited on 11/14/2007 3:30pm

az_0k

[116]Nov 14, 2007
    Foggle wrote:

az_0k wrote:
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:

MHS is definitely NOT the king of comedy. Excel Saga (manga version, volumes 6+) is hilarious and has a really good story. Don't judge the story, humor, or characters based on the f**king anime, which is comparable to the Hellsing TV anime and Samurai X by the fact that it ruins what makes the manga great and is basically non-canon. The Excel Saga manga beats all other gag anime and manga into the ground, but that's just my opinion.

...I wrote "might be" and "I doubt it"...I don't know what more you expect...

Foggle

[117]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 18
    az_0k wrote:
    Foggle wrote:

az_0k wrote:
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:

...I wrote "might be" and "I doubt it"...I don't know what more you expect...

I was agreeing with you...

soniccomics

[118]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 22

Angus_Mac wrote:
    Woo hoo! Someone mentions Initial D! It may be this year's cult-darling from Kyoto Animation, but to me, MHS isn't any more decade defining than Fruits Basket. As for Naruto and Bleach sharing the same themes of competition and overall goals of becoming great, that might be one of those theme requirements for it to appear in the Shonen Jump along with Yu Yu Hakusho, Yu-Gi-Oh, Prince of Tennis, and Hikaru no Go.

Never noticed that till you said it(I can't believe I didnt notice it either). Maybe it's just one thing a lot of Shonen manga share in general.

Priest-Ohm

[119]Nov 14, 2007
    sekretoz006 wrote:

for me the top 5 best anime !

1. Initial D

2. Naruto

3. hunter x hunter

4. Samurai X

5. Bleach

Who want's to disagree?!

I want to disagree... Naruto is on the list hehe.

ensatsu-ken

[120]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 19
    Angus_Mac wrote:
    Woo hoo! Someone mentions Initial D!

It may be this year's cult-darling from Kyoto Animation, but to me, MHS isn't any more decade defining than Fruits Basket. As for Naruto and Bleach sharing the same themes of competition and overall goals of becoming great, that might be one of those theme requirements for it to appear in the Shonen Jump along with Yu Yu Hakusho, Yu-Gi-Oh, Prince of Tennis, and Hikaru no Go.

I don't really see how either Bleach or Yu Yu Hakusho have the theme of people who want to become great. As far as I can see, Ichigo and the Bleach characters just want to stop the "bad guy's plot," and its pretty much the same thing with YYH (well, then again, YYH had the 3 Kings arc, which sort of dealt a bit more with the theme of getting stronger, but it also had many other themes to cover that up well enough ). And its not a theme requirement for manga to get into Shounen Jump.

I mean, Rurouni Kenshin doesn't really seem to fit that sort of theme, and neither does Hunter X Hunter, or D. Gray-Man. I would also like to say Death Note, because its so much more unique and original than any other series that I have seen (and that's not only limited to shounen), period. However, surprisingly enough, it does actually kind of fit that theme. Well, at least that's the way I see it, in that "trying to become a god of the new world," seems to be a pretty heavy goal to greatness . LOL