Forums: Animation: What is the best anime ever?

Angus_Mac

[121]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 71
    Well having just started the D. Gray-man manga, I can see Allen Walker dealing with a developing raw talent or untapped potential. Ichigo in Bleach is all about that. I just remember reading something about Shonen Jump having growth as one of their themes. Or maybe that was just the US version that pushed that idea?
    Edited on 11/14/2007 9:41pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

az_0k

[122]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 8
    Angus_Mac wrote:
    Well having just started the D. Gray-man manga, I can see Allen Walker dealing with a developing raw talent or untapped potential. Ichigo in Bleach is all about that. I just remember reading something about Shonen Jump having growth as one of their themes. Or maybe that was just the US version that pushed that idea?

The entire SS arc revolved around Ichigo trying to save Rukia, and more importantly, unlike other Shonen works where the initial motives are soon buried in the intense actions, Kubo actually placed a lot of emphasis on this theme throught Ichigo's thoughts and dialogues. Every five chapters you can see something like "I must save Rukia". I'm not saying Bleach has the best storyline but it's definitely not as simple as levelling up IMO.

az_0k

[123]Nov 14, 2007
    Actually the best thing about Bleach is that it actually has a point...which just shows you how pathetic this genre has become these days.

ReflectTheStorm

[124]Nov 15, 2007
    • level: 6
    Holy crap Batman, I haven't posted in this one yet! Cowbop Bebop.

vegetarian_jcer

[125]Nov 15, 2007
    • level: 11
    az_0k wrote:
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:

If 2000 is all about MHS then I don't know what to say.

Now, what's that supposed to mean?

MHS might be the king of comedy (which I doubt it) but it doesn't have a point.

I'm sorry... what?

King of comedy? Are you f****** kidding me? I mean, yeah, it's funny at times, but it's not intended to be a flat-out comedy. (Did you ever even notice the sci-fi/drama/action/not comedy in there?)

And Azumanga Daioh is pointless (awesome, but pointless). Haruhi actually has a plot. You know, the whole "god who has the power to destroy the world if she gets bored with it and an alien, big-breasted time traveler, and an ESPer come to try to keep her from being bored while the entire time some random ordinary high school student has to take in all this information"? Yeah, you must not have noticed that part. God I hate sounding like a bandwagoner.

az_0k

[126]Nov 15, 2007
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:

I'm sorry... what?

King of comedy? Are you f****** kidding me? I mean, yeah, it's funny at times, but it's not intended to be a flat-out comedy. (Did you ever even notice the sci-fi/drama/action/not comedy in there?)

And Azumanga Daioh is pointless (awesome, but pointless). Haruhi actually has a plot. You know, the whole "god who has the power to destroy the world if she gets bored with it and an alien, big-breasted time traveler, and an ESPer come to try to keep her from being bored while the entire time some random ordinary high school student has to take in all this information"? Yeah, you must not have noticed that part. God I hate sounding like a bandwagoner.

I'm confused now...are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me...?

vegetarian_jcer

[127]Nov 15, 2007
    az_0k wrote:
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:

I'm sorry... what?

Disagreeing. Criticizing it for people claiming it to be the "King of Comedy" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard because it's not supposed to be the "King of Comedy".

And as for the "pointless" thing. Yeah, I'm not sure how exactley you view it as pointless.

Foggle

[128]Nov 15, 2007
    • level: 18

vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:
    I'm sorry... what? King of comedy? Are you f****** kidding me? I mean, yeah, it's funny at times, but it's not intended to be a flat-out comedy. (Did you ever even notice the sci-fi/drama/action/not comedy in there?) And Azumanga Daioh is pointless (awesome, but pointless). Haruhi actually has a plot. You know, the whole "god who has the power to destroy the world if she gets bored with it and an alien, big-breasted time traveler, and an ESPer come to try to keep her from being bored while the entire time some random ordinary high school student has to take in all this information"? Yeah, you must not have noticed that part. God I hate sounding like a bandwagoner.
    Disagreeing. Criticizing it for people claiming it to be the "King of Comedy" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard because it's not supposed to be the "King of Comedy". And as for the "pointless" thing. Yeah, I'm not sure how exactley you view it as pointless.

I don't think he was implying that he thought it was the King of Comedy, he was implying that other people might think it is.

az_0k

[129]Nov 15, 2007
    "god who has the power to destroy the world if she gets bored with it and an alien, big-breasted time traveler, and an ESPer come to try to keep her from being bored while the entire time some random ordinary high school student has to take in all this information"

It has a point...? What message do the producers exactly try to send to the audience...?

PS I was implying that other people might think it is.

ensatsu-ken

[130]Nov 15, 2007
    • level: 19
    Angus_Mac wrote:

No, not really. Ichigo doesn't really care that much about fighting and getting stronger. He is just motivated to do so in order to protect his friends and loved ones. Its pretty much the same thing for Allen Walker. And I fail to see how that theme applies to Rurouni Kenshin, or Level E, or Hunter X Hunter, or dozens of other SJ series that probably nobody on this site has even heard of . That phrase was most likely only created for the American version of Shounen Jump. Otherwise, it is simply just a phrase, that doesn't really mean much, lol .

ensatsu-ken

[131]Nov 15, 2007
    az_0k wrote:
    Actually the best thing about Bleach is that it actually has a point...which just shows you how pathetic this genre has become these days.

Well, if you think about it, Bleach's point is really not different from Dragon Ball's. Past the SS arc, its basically about "bad guys" who want to do bad things, with no real obvious motives that have been seen yet. This is where YYH seems to be underrated. Sure, the beginning is pretty much the same as any other shounen (excluding the part where Yusuke's a ghost, which you must admit was a rather unique and orginal way to start off a series ). However, once villains like Toguro and Sensui came in, who were villains with actual understandable motives, YYH actually did have a clear point during that time. The 3 Kings arc, I must admit, was more of an aftermath kind of ac, rather than one with an actual set point to it. But still, it was the most emotional arc, and was still extremely enteraining for me.

Well, YYH is only one example. Stuff like Death Note, Rurouni Kenshin, Hunter X Hunter, D. Gray-Man, and other series, do have a lot more to them than what meets the eye.

BTW, when you said genre, were you referring to shounen in general again, or were you simply referring to the action/fighting based genre of shounen ?

az_0k

[132]Nov 15, 2007

ensatsu-ken wrote:
    az_0k wrote:
    Well, if you think about it, Bleach's point is really not different from Dragon Ball's. Past the SS arc, its basically about "bad guys" who want to do bad things, with no real obvious motives that have been seen yet.

I don't really care about what happened after the SS arc. What can I do if Kubo wants to sell himself out?

az_0k

[133]Nov 15, 2007
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    az_0k wrote:
    BTW, when you said genre, were you referring to shounen in general again, or were you simply referring to the action/fighting based genre of shounen ?
    action-based plotless idol-making subgenre.
    Edited on 11/15/2007 8:45pm

deckzone3000

[134]Nov 15, 2007
    • level: 20
    az_0k wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    az_0k wrote:
    action-based plotless idol-making subgenre.
    Are you saying shonen is becoming to shonen like? :/

Angus_Mac

[135]Nov 15, 2007
    • level: 71
    Well if that isn't the theme of Shonen Jump, what is it?

epayps2

[136]Nov 15, 2007
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    Angus_Mac wrote:
    And I fail to see how that theme applies to Rurouni Kenshin, or Level E, or Hunter X Hunter .
    How is level E ? That's another manga by Togashi right?

Halloween_Town

[137]Nov 16, 2007

HANDS DOWN!!!! : )

ensatsu-ken

[138]Nov 16, 2007
    epayps2 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    Angus_Mac wrote:
    And I fail to see how that theme applies to Rurouni Kenshin, or Level E, or Hunter X Hunter .
    How is level E ? That's another manga by Togashi right?

Yeah, but personally, from the little that I have read of it, I felt that it was rather boring (but I have only read the 1st chapter, and even though its an extremely short manga, spanning only a few volumes long, I still need to read more of it, to accurately judge it). The only reason that I mentioned it, was because it is very different from any other shounen that I have seen before. This, of course, just goes to show how original and unique the author keeps his manga works .

jamesfan5

[139]Nov 16, 2007
    Well gee,If I could pick anyone anime I like the most,it's probably Naruto.It's what got me back into anime when my intrest in it was slowly declining and helped broaden my taste inanimes

Otaku_ex

[140]Nov 16, 2007
    • level: 4

These are what I would consider to be the most well done animes ever.

1. Samurai X: Trust And Betrayal

2. Monster

3. Higurashi no naku koro ni kai, even though the first season is a favorite, the second takes everything that made the first season great, and improves on its downfalls

4. Perfect Blue - Superb direction, one fo the few animated films i can say that truly surpassed the medium