Forums: Animation: What is the best anime ever?

 
  • Avatar of Foggle

    Foggle

    [141]Nov 16, 2007
    • member since: 02/05/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,824
    Otaku_ex wrote:

    4. Perfect Blue - Superb direction, one fo the few animated films i can say that truly surpassed the medium

    Wow, I thought I was the only person on this board who had seen it.

    Edited on 11/16/2007 6:28pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vegetarian_jcer

    vegetarian_jcer

    [142]Nov 17, 2007
    • member since: 07/27/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 3,832
    az_0k wrote:
    "god who has the power to destroy the world if she gets bored with it and an alien, big-breasted time traveler, and an ESPer come to try to keep her from being bored while the entire time some random ordinary high school student has to take in all this information"

    It has a point...?


    You praised Bleach for having a point, here's a pretty accurate summary of it:

    Guy gets special powers and a sword as big as he is when he meets a girl who claims to be a soul reaper. Adventure and filler ensues.

    'sides, it doesn't need a "point" to be good.

    az_0k wrote:
    What message do the producers exactly try to send to the audience...?


    Message?... what? It doesn't need a message. It's just supposed to be entertaining. Although, if you really need your special "message". I suppose of the themes is how Haruhi (and Kyon, a little) really wants awesome things to happen in this plain, dull, world, even though deep down they know that these things like aliens, time travelers, and ESPers shouldn't exist. We all go through that. I guess it kinda involves growing up, a little. (I just grasped that out of thin air, so don't be too overly-analytical about it)

    az_0k wrote:
    PS I was implying that other people might think it is.


    So, because other people like it, you don't?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of az_0k

    az_0k

    [143]Nov 17, 2007
    • member since: 07/04/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 421
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:
    "god who has the power to destroy the world if she gets bored with it and an alien, big-breasted time traveler, and an ESPer come to try to keep her from being bored while the entire time some random ordinary high school student has to take in all this information"

    It has a point...?


    You praised Bleach for having a point, here's a pretty accurate summary of it:

    Guy gets special powers and a sword as big as he is when he meets a girl who claims to be a soul reaper. Adventure and filler ensues.

    'sides, it doesn't need a "point" to be good.



    don't feel like repeating myself but here it is.

    The entire SS arc revolved around Ichigo trying to save Rukia, and more importantly, unlike other Shonen works where the initial motives are soon buried in the intense actions, Kubo actually placed a lot of emphasis on this theme throught Ichigo's thoughts and dialogues. Every five chapters you can see something like "I must save Rukia". I'm not saying Bleach has the best storyline but it's definitely not as simple as levelling up IMO.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of az_0k

    az_0k

    [144]Nov 17, 2007
    • member since: 07/04/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 421
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:
    PS I was implying that other people might think it is.


    So, because other people like it, you don't?


    I don't understand what you are trying to say...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of az_0k

    az_0k

    [145]Nov 17, 2007
    • member since: 07/04/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 421
    I don't understand where your animosity comes from. I like shows that contain a message, you like shows that are entertaining, it's only a matter of preference really.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vegetarian_jcer

    vegetarian_jcer

    [146]Nov 17, 2007
    • member since: 07/27/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 3,832
    as_OK wrote:
    The entire SS arc revolved around Ichigo trying to save Rukia, and more importantly, unlike other Shonen works where the initial motives are soon buried in the intense actions, Kubo actually placed a lot of emphasis on this theme throught Ichigo's thoughts and dialogues. Every five chapters you can see something like "I must save Rukia". I'm not saying Bleach has the best storyline but it's definitely not as simple as levelling up IMO.


    And like I said, it doesn't need a message to be good. And criticizing Haruhi for lack of a "message" is not really a reason say it's not good.

    az_0k wrote:
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:
    PS I was implying that other people might think it is.


    So, because other people like it, you don't?


    I don't understand what you are trying to say...


    One of your grievances against the show appear to be that other people claimed it was the "King of Comedy".

    That's no reason to dislike a show.

    :
    I don't understand where your animosity comes from. I like shows that contain a message, you like shows that are entertaining, it's only a matter of preference really.


    Truthfully, if had said something along the lines of "MHS just isn't my cup of tea" I would have left it at that. It was your "King of Comedy" and "Pointless" comment that threw me off.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of az_0k

    az_0k

    [147]Nov 17, 2007
    • member since: 07/04/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 421
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    as_OK wrote:
    The entire SS arc revolved around Ichigo trying to save Rukia, and more importantly, unlike other Shonen works where the initial motives are soon buried in the intense actions, Kubo actually placed a lot of emphasis on this theme throught Ichigo's thoughts and dialogues. Every five chapters you can see something like "I must save Rukia". I'm not saying Bleach has the best storyline but it's definitely not as simple as levelling up IMO.


    And like I said, it doesn't need a message to be good. And criticizing Haruhi for lack of a "message" is not really a reason say it's not good.

    az_0k wrote:
    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_0k wrote:
    PS I was implying that other people might think it is.


    So, because other people like it, you don't?


    I don't understand what you are trying to say...


    One of your grievances against the show appear to be that other people claimed it was the "King of Comedy".

    That's no reason to dislike a show.

    :
    I don't understand where your animosity comes from. I like shows that contain a message, you like shows that are entertaining, it's only a matter of preference really.


    Truthfully, if had said something along the lines of "MHS just isn't my cup of tea" I would have left it at that. It was your "King of Comedy" and "Pointless" comment that threw me off.


    OMG...When did I say I hate this show? I enjoyed watching MHS, but I just don't understand why some ppl call it the best show or "the next evolution step of the anime business". Look, I'm not criticizing MHS, I like it, and what I wrote about MHS being "the king of comedy" was a compliment because I remember someone saying that before.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vegetarian_jcer

    vegetarian_jcer

    [148]Nov 17, 2007
    • member since: 07/27/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 3,832
    az_OK wrote:
    MHS might be the king of comedy (which I doubt it) but it doesn't have a point.


    Sure as hell doesn't sound like a compliment.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of genremixer

    genremixer

    [150]Nov 17, 2007
    • member since: 03/16/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 941

    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    az_OK wrote:
    MHS might be the king of comedy (which I doubt it) but it doesn't have a point.
    Sure as hell doesn't sound like a compliment.

    It doesn't sound like a compliment because it is not a voice recording.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vegetarian_jcer

    vegetarian_jcer

    [151]Nov 17, 2007
    • member since: 07/27/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 3,832
    ...Your point?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of genremixer

    genremixer

    [152]Nov 17, 2007
    • member since: 03/16/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 941

    vegetarian_jcer wrote:
    ...Your point?

    You just heard it lol.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Otaku_ex

    Otaku_ex

    [153]Nov 17, 2007
    • member since: 05/02/04
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 233
    Foggle wrote:
    Otaku_ex wrote:

    4. Perfect Blue - Superb direction, one fo the few animated films i can say that truly surpassed the medium

    Wow, I thought I was the only person on this board who had seen it.



    ...So did I xD
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Spike021

    Spike021

    [154]Dec 10, 2007
    • member since: 01/18/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 11

    Cowboy Bebop is without a doubt the best.. the consistency is incrediable.. nearly all animes suffer from dragging on and on.. DBZ, Naruto, etc. PLUS it has the best ending ever.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Onizuka1000

    Onizuka1000

    [155]Dec 10, 2007
    • member since: 11/21/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 567
    Hunter X Hunter, Naruto or Bleach.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Foggle

    Foggle

    [156]Dec 10, 2007
    • member since: 02/05/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,824
    Spike021 wrote:

    Cowboy Bebop is without a doubt the best.. the consistency is incrediable.. nearly all animes suffer from dragging on and on.. DBZ, Naruto, etc. PLUS it has the best ending ever.

    I agree. While it's not my favorite anime (it's my second favorite, actually), it's probably the best I've ever seen.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Darkknight314

    Darkknight314

    [157]Dec 10, 2007
    • member since: 12/07/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 306
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ReflectTheStorm

    ReflectTheStorm

    [158]Dec 11, 2007
    • member since: 08/22/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 2,853
    Cowboy Bebop. I don't have much anime under my belt but that show is full of so much win.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DC-CAPO

    DC-CAPO

    [159]Dec 11, 2007
    • member since: 10/18/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 474
    Bebop. Its almost flawless, the animation, characters, action scenes, directing, music, style ect. where all good.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ensatsu-ken

    ensatsu-ken

    [160]Dec 11, 2007
    • member since: 10/24/06
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 6,686
    Cowboy Bebop is definitely one of my favorites. However, my top 2 anime still stand as Yu Yu Hakusho (which is not simply just an average shounen, to me) and Death Note.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.