Forums: Animation: Why are there so many animated cartoons based on animated movies?

Antique22

[1]Jan 13, 2010
    • level: 11

Lately it seems that in animation this year it seems like this year is the year that every single animated cartoon is based on a movie this year and this shocks me. Take for instance Nickelodeon has had great success with The Penguins Of Madagascar and this year Nickelodeon will have a cartoon based on Kung-Fu Panda and another one based on Monsters Vs Aliens and although they seem to be wonderful cartoons I think all this animated spin-offs are just so that Nickelodeon wants to overhype these movies. Disney is also jumping on the bandwagon too by creating a spin-off cartoon from Cars starring Mater the towtruck and all this is surprising to me because I can never turn on my cartoons in the morning without seeing an amimated cartoon based on a movie,

Do you think it's a trend this year in animated cartoons to make cartoons from movies,

Tiki

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LSyd

[2]Jan 13, 2010
    • level: 17
    Antique22 wrote:
    Do you think it's a trend this year in animated cartoons to make cartoons from movies?

Maybe, although this has been going on for quite a long time, not just based on animated movies, but for live action movies which were appealing to children.

Maybe the big companies have come to the realization that by having a nice, attention-grabbing movie, they can keep kids interested in their franchise for longer (and buying toys based around it) if they put on a cartoon series of it.

After all, if a kid sees a movie, he/she would be onto the next thing in a month or so, if not sooner. But combined with a TV series that runs for quite a while, they can hold the kid's attention longer.

Angus_Mac

[3]Jan 14, 2010
    • level: 71
    I don't know about this year (2009-2010). They've been making cartoon TV series out of movies for decades. What they haven't done much is cartoon the live-action movies as much as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. The Simpsons managed to hog up many of the cartooned celebrity guests.

I'm sure many of the current children toy companies would love a TV series, and many of them have so. They'll pilot it with a direct-to-video movie like Barbie or cartoon shorts along the lines of Shaun the Sheep, Buzz Lightyear, Barnyard, and Madagascar Penguins. And sometimes they'll try to fit it in the context of something loosely educational, and networks will be pressured to carry it as part of their E/I requirement.

Waggytoon

[4]Jan 14, 2010
    • level: 13

The most legendary animated series based on an animated feature is Disney Channel's still extremely popular "Lilo & Stitch: The Series". And there are those "Mater's Tall Tales 'Cars Toons'" airing after the early morning episode of "Phineas and Ferb" every other Weekday on Disney Channel (right before "Kid Vs. Kat" on Disney XD, in case you're wondering when Disney Channel has those "Mater's Tall Tales" shorts airing).

The only other animated series based on an animated feature airing on Disney Channel is "Disney's Little Mermaid".

And meanwhile, nickToons has both "The Penguins of Madagascar" and "Back At the Barnyard" in their schedule- both series based on recent animated features. And it's certain that once the new animated "Kung Fu Panda" series premieres, you can bet nickToons will carry that one as well.

But by flipping things around, there is the upcoming CGI-animated feature "The Last Airbender" based on the popular "Avatar" animated series to be released in movie theaters. So it goes both ways nowadays.

"Waggytoon"

EricDent1

[5]Jan 14, 2010
    • level: 7
    Yeah, also there are rumors flying around about upcoming Hollywood Live-Action (or maybe CGI) versions of Cowboy Bebop (with Keanu Reeves), Robotech (with Tobey McGwuire), Akira (produced by Leo Dicaprio), and even Gatchaman (CGI from the makers of Astroboy).

It's nothing new. When Batman (1989) came out, pretty soon after came Batman The Animated Series. When Spider-Man came out they had a couple of different shows, when Iron Man came out they had an Iron Man show, etc.

Really surprised there is no talks of a show based on the "Avatar" movie from James Cammeron (which is why they had to re-name the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie).

Waggytoon

[6]Jan 15, 2010
    • level: 13

I forgot to mention Disney's "The Emperor's New School" animated series based on the original animated feature "The Emperor's New Groove" which airs on Disney Channel overnight and Disney XD early Weekday mornings (however, the Disney XD broadcasts go head-to-head with the second half-hour of Disney Channel's animated smash "Lilo & Stitch: The Series").

Right now, Disney has no plans to release any more animated TV series based on animated features, especially since Disney TV Animation may be on its way out once production ends on "Phineas and Ferb". It's been a mostly great 25-year run for Disney TV Animation, but with nothing left to show of the once-popular animated TV studio, it's heading for its last days. More on that in a future topic.

"Waggytoon"

Sara_Marie_41

[7]Jan 15, 2010
    • level: 18
    i don't why... i guess it's to cash on the success. look what happened to Yie Ar Kung-Fu, from Konami, a Japanese based video game company behind Contra and Metal Gear, it was one of the first fighting games and soon other like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat came around. i think that's the same with an animated film spun tv shows.

skaizun

[9]Jan 16, 2010
    • level: 20
    Nothing new under the sun.

However, IMHO, the 5-minute animated shorts
    (e.g., Mater, Shaun of the Sheep,
    Genndy Tartakovsky's version of Star Wars, etc),
    are way better than most 30-minute (minus commercials) series.

What bugs me is when producers insist on making
    live-action versions of the shows, such as with Ben 10,
    to disastrous effect.

Besides, with the seemingly odd penchant of Cartoon Network,
    Nickelodeon, and Disney Channel, all striving toward expensive
    live-action series rather than the cheaper
    (but more time-consuming to produce)
    animated series, any argument, pro or con, might be moot.

TheTallCritic

[10]Feb 9, 2010
    • level: 4
    To make more money :3 who woulden't?