Forums: Canada: Canada vs USA

jrapaport

[1]May 5, 2008
    • level: 5

Open question to all,

I am a major TV and film watcher from the US that has a masters in Film and TV Theory, but very little international experience. I have visited Canada twice, but went skiing and watched very little TV while there. I was wondering (for those of you who may know) what are the major differences between TV in Canada and the USA? And how big is the entertainment industry in Canada? In America we follow celebs like they are endangered species, we read tabloids and articles on everything they do no matter how small. Occasionally, we get some news about Amy Winehouse, Kate Moss or someone in Britain that does something illegal or crazy. But I never hear anything about Canadian stars or their daily life. Now I know that Jim Carrey, Sharon Stone, Avril Lavigne, Alanis Morisette and many "American" actors are from Canada, but for all intensive purposes they are famous in America and that's why we cover them. I used to watch a lot of "Kids in the Hall" and loved that show. And I know Toronto has a major budding film industry. But are there any Canadian stars that are huge there that we don't cover? And what is the industry like over there? Answer any, all, or whatever questions you think I may want to know along these lines. I am just interested in what film and TV is like up there? How many Canadian movies get major releases in America? Thanks for your time and consideration.

Jared

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ladycanuck

[2]May 8, 2008
    • level: 7

Basically, we're in the shadows of the Americans here as far as TV/Film is concerned EXCEPT for Quebec. The Quebec film/television industry, which is French (because the majority of Quebecer's are French-speakers) has their own kind of Hollywood. Quebec film/television stars are famous in Quebec and the TV shows and films are extremely popular amongst Quebeckers.

However, in English-speaking Canada, our films and TV shows don't get that big of ratings but I equate that to lack of promotion by the networks not about quality of the shows themselves. For instance, CTV, our biggest net, will air a hundred commercials for Grey's Anatomy for every commercial they air of Whistler (a Canadian show). Basically the nets are in love with American shows, schedule them better and promote them better. They only air Canadian shows because they have to because of our cultural laws.

jrapaport

[3]May 9, 2008

Wow, that is pretty crazy, and it makes me ask another question; I loved "Kids in the Hall" more than life for many years, but I noticed it was on HBO here in America and produced by Saturday Night Live creator Lorne Micheals. Was Kids in the Hall" ever on Canadian TV? and how did it do? For a while, I thought it was better than SNL.

Jared Rapaport

maritimer00

[4]May 9, 2008
    • level: 71
    Kids in The Hall originally aired on CBC here in Canada...CBC airs quite a few comedy series up here that aren't bad (THis Hour Has 22 Minutes, which skewers politics and news...Little Mosque on The Prairie, which garnered a few news items in the States..).

All in all, CBC is probably the best place for Canadian programming right now with Global, the other national network, the worse. Global does lip service to Canadian content regulations up here (CanCon is the word many Canadians use for this reg.

Lots of stories about that regulation...

Idbeolderifiwas

[5]May 11, 2008
    • level: 20
    For the most part, I think actors like being here because they don't get harassed like they do in the States. We don't really have any Tabloids, other than the American ones, so there aren't all that many Paparazzi. I've noticed that Canadian Comedies seem to do a lot better than our Dramas do, with some even getting mention in the states, and even more amazingly, Corner Gas is actually aired there which is very rare. Also, Vancouver is sometimes called Hollywood North because a lot of content is filmed here, but mostly for American TV shows/Movies, because it's cheaper than filming in LA, New York, etc.

jrapaport

[6]Jun 9, 2008
    I live in South Florida and we get "Corner Gas" on a Chicago network station nightly. It gets some major advertising on that network (WGN). It looks really funny, but I've only seen one episode. I didn't know it was a Canadian show. I'll have to watch., The US has been terrible on live-action comedies lately. Only the comic-strip shows have been good lately on US TV (like Family Guy, Simpsons, and South Park).

ladycanuck

[7]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 7
    Comedies from the U.S. haven't really struck a cord among audiences up here in Canada. While American dramas and reality shows succeed up here, comedies don't. Corner Gas is the #1 comedy in Canada, it even beats American comedies.

Big_Evil666

[8]Jun 17, 2008
    • level: 3

ladycanuck wrote:
    Comedies from the U.S. haven't really struck a cord among audiences up here in Canada. While American dramas and reality shows succeed up here, comedies don't. Corner Gas is the #1 comedy in Canada, it even beats American comedies.

I disagree, I like alot of American comedies, and Corner Gas is just one of very few Canadian comedies there are, and it's almost done

xlovedust

[9]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 45
    Canadian comedy is alright, but I don't enjoy the realities shows that Canadians "take" from the Americans. For example, Canada's Next Top Model and Canadian Idol. There's also going to be a Canada's So You Think You Can Dance so.. whatever. I am proud to live in B.C. though.
    Edited on 07/30/2008 4:16pm

efc91

[10]Aug 17, 2008
    • level: 39
    British comedy is the best actually its not America is but were second best.

dziner8

[11]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 2

What's crazy is that a ton of the weekly shows are filmed in Canada, due to the tax incentives to US production companies and performers.

I worked on the set of the series of Lonesome Dove when it was being filmed in Calgary during the 1990's, Stargate SG1 was filmed in Vancouver, as was X-Files and a pile of other sci-fi programming. Movies are always being filmed in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary (the original Superman was the first one up in Calgary, I think).....

I saw Lorne Michaels speak at an event in NYC years ago called, What Makes Canadians So Funny (on the panel were him, Michael J. Fox, Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, and Martin Short) and he said he moved the US when he was told that CBC would not be able to make a show like SNL a success up in Canada, so he should move south.....!

Also, Canada has requirements for Canadian programming on TV and radio, so there are incentives for original programming to developed for the Canadian market, and limits to amount of US programming aired up there.

SeaforthRinger

[12]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 1

Everything that is aired in Canada is American on the networks here. It's annoying because we do try to watch American shows directly, but the Canadian channel takes over the original American network, and often times screws things up, and cuts out the original commercials and promos, and even the ends of shows or previews for next week.

Take a look at the schedule of 4 big broadcasters in Canada:

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs232&d=08400&f=a-channel_hijacks204.jpg

SeaforthRinger

[13]Oct 5, 2008

Here they are:

peacelovex

[14]Apr 5, 2009
    ive totally got to agree with absolutely everything ladycanuck said.
    id say it myself... but i`d be repeating, nearly word-for-word haha.

although, toronto and vancouver also have made their own splash with hollywood. same with victoria [bc]... its small, but... a lot of films are made in vancouver & victoria, and most people would NEVER guess it.
    [part of twilight - new moon specifically- is being filmed in both places! not that i`m a fan, but that series is huge] and in the land of women [also with kristen stewart] is completely filmed here, besides two scenes in california.

peak_a_bu

[15]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 6
    Yes you are right about Lorne Michaels cause I believe he is Canadian but the best news is that Kids In The Hall is supposed going back into production. I know I can't wait that show was preety funny.

athenaferreira

[16]Apr 21, 2009
    Dearest Jared,

All I can say is that in my opinion Cananda has some of the most awesome actors; namely STEVE BACIC who by far is the man to watch! Worldwide, American actors are given way too much exposure. Steve has starred in many Canadian and American shows and chances are you've seen his work but never noticed him. I live in South Africa and we are flooded with American shows but Canada and the Canadian film industry is definately tops in my books. Oh, and you might have noticed I'm a huge Steve Bacic fan!!

Rgs,
    Athena Ferreira

Glasgowlass

[17]Apr 26, 2009
    Does the Canadian Broadcasting Networks control the content that Canadian viewers have access to on the net or are the area restrictions on tv show episodes restricted from CBS side of the table. I have tried to view many shows, an example being Star Trek TOS, and most of the episodes listed are unavailable in my area, which is Toronto. Am I doing something wrong when trying to view or are these shows only available to Americans, or should I say people in the USA.