Forums: Canada: Not Avalible for my Geographic Region

Cagney1st

[1]Jan 2, 2011
    • level: 1

Can someone please explain why I can not view episodes of Cagney and Lacey ... or any other show for that matter, because I am IN CANADA??

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd appreciate it. C&L is avalible on iTunes US ... iTunes UK ... TV.com ... everywhere else, but Canada.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

brunabear

[2]Jan 2, 2011
    • level: 37
    This site is owned by CBS, which is an American company. I know it doesn't help much, but the fact of the matter is that you have to be in the US to view a show on an American site. There are things that I (also in Canada) can't watch on youtube, and I can't watch anything from cbs, abc, nbc or A&E, or any of the other American stations.

If the shows are shown on Canadian stations, and those stations post them on ~their~ websites, then you can view them.

And, if it makes you feel any better, the reverse is true as well. Americans (or people from any other country, for that matter) can't view Canadian shows on Canadian sites like ctv or cbc. And it's for the same reason... they are "out of the geographic region."

suzy3852

[3]Oct 7, 2011
    • level: 3

hope you can watch this in your country says 152 episodes listed. if not may have to get hulu plus for $7.99 a month

http://www.hulu.com/cagney-and-lacey

timgueguen

[4]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 13
    Hulu doesn't work in Canada.

Regional restrictions like that are to protect the airing rights or future airing rights for a market. If a foreign website allows you to watch show X in Canada that decreases the likelihood that you'll watch show X on a Canadian website or station, and hence deprive the Canadian rights holders of your potential ad revenue.

suzy3852

[5]Oct 18, 2011

bummer thought it would work in canada since its part of north amercia. i did find a site that has all the eps on dvd really a nice price. you do have to register and i have bought from this site and never had any problems with any discs. http://www.ioffer.com/search/items/cagney%20and%20lacey

i looked on amazon.com and they only have s1 so far.

suzy3852

[7]Feb 6, 2012

searching on the web for this show and found this one but asks you to d/l something and says its free if you want to check it out

http://www.tvchannelsfree.com/tvshows/393/Cagney----Lacey/1.html

try this one but use yidio site others have to pay for http://www.yidio.com/show/cagney-and-lacey

try these sites. i will try to see if i can find any more

you can now get netflix in canada and you might be able to watch the show there for 7.99 a month. not sure what the price is in canada if nothing else works. according to this one site encore suspense part of starz is carrying the show every so often, if you have it, starts 2/10 at 7:10 am et and again at 2:30 pm et http://www.starz.com/titles/cagneylaceythereturn only dish and uverse and xfinity are only ones carrying it

Edited on 02/06/2012 5:38pm

lroche101

[10]Feb 17, 2012
    • level: 1

Cagney1st wrote:

Can someone please explain why I can not view episodes of Cagney and Lacey ... or any other show for that matter, because I am IN CANADA??

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd appreciate it. C&L is avalible on iTunes US ... iTunes UK ... TV.com ... everywhere else, but Canada.

I feel you pain; that's like me three months ago. These channels block any access from an IP outside of the original country. This is not done only in the entertainment industry but also in many countries in middle east, China etc. If you do some research, there are actually ways to get around that likewww.unotelly.com, www. hidemy*ss.com just name a few. The funny thing is that the US government actually support these systems because they use the strategy to fool the blocking mechanism and access sites in those countries, so to speak the freedom of expression. Very ironic to see it being used the other way around nowadays.