Forums: Children: Playhouse Disney Rebranding as Disney Junior, Launching New Network

agent_0042

[1]May 27, 2010
    • level: 66
    Jumping into the fray already occupied by networks such as PBSKids Sprout, Nick Jr. and Qubo, coming in 2012, Disney is launching Disney Jr., a 24 hour ad-free network of Disney programming targeted at the 2-7 age group. The network replaces SoapNet, a current 24-hour network dedicated to airing nothing but soap operas or "daytime dramas." Additionally, the existing Playhouse Disney block on Disney Channel will be rebranded as Disney Junior and the rebranding will also be applied to the Playhouse Disney channels and blocks currently airing in non-U.S. markets.

Current Playhouse Disney programming will make its way over to the network, including shows such as Handy Manny, Special Agent Oso, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Imagination Movers. It is also reported to include "several new series... based on the classic Disney movies like Peter Pan, Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid.

Note-- while Playhouse Disney has a huge library of programs they are no longer airing in the United States, none of the articles I can find mention anything about whether or not this network will include classic programming such as PB&J Otter, Bear in the Big Blue House or Out of the Box. So it remains unclear at this time whether any Playhouse Disney classics will be seen on this network.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Waggytoon

[2]May 28, 2010
    • level: 13

Okay, so I would have thought that this new Disney Junior network would actually end the Playhouse Disney pablum block on Disney Channel, which could have given Disney Channel more time for animated programming fans would prefer, like "Lilo & Stitch: The Series" and its anime spinoff or even acquisition of "Kid Vs. Kat" for Disney Channel. But its still early, so it could come about.

"Waggytoon"

Antique22

[3]May 29, 2010
    • level: 11

Disney really has a smart idea by finally launching a channel that both appeals to the infant and toddler group and I think that with the launch of Disney Junior it will be successful and become as successful as Nickelodeon did when Nick Jr debuted in the 80's and I also think that with the debut of Disney Junior what I think will happen is you'll see a lot of theme park tie-ins and merchandise that will make huge money for Disney. Take for instance when Playhouse Disney was launched in 1999-2000 I think the name alone was an excuse for Disney to make merchandse featuring characters that children in the 3-7 age range love and not only that Playhouse Disney launched a show with Disneyland and Walt Disney World called Playhouse Disney Live On Stage that is shown every day at the theme parks and because of that show Playhouse Disney became the king of the theme parks and I can bet that with the name change the show will be renamed Disney Junior Live On Stage. As for Disney Junior replacing Soapnet I think it's a real shame that Disney is planning to remove Soapnet and put this new channel in place because how can people be able to watch old reruns of Dynasty Knots Landing and other classic soap operas? But hopefully now that Disney plans to launch Disney Junior Disney Channel will return to it's family programming once again,

Tiki

Pablo_808

[4]Jun 3, 2010
    • level: 14
    Well, I know a hand full of people that won't like SoapNet being dropped, but I'm not surprised by this all too much. I expected as much for Disney to enter the fray that is the "Pre-School Playground". I'm just surprised they never claimed a piece of that pie sooner.

purplewowies

[5]Jun 20, 2010
    • level: 18
    I think it will turn out well. However, I do hope they decide to show some old series. Like how Nick Jr. shows Gullah Gullah Island in their graveyard hours, Disney Junior could air Out of the Box or Rolie Polie Olie or something. And hasn't Disney already made series out of Aladdin and Little Mermaid? Are they going to show those or make new ones? They used to show movie-based series in the transition from Playhouse to DC (like 12:00-2:00 a couple years ago).

Hmm... if Disney had started Junior this year, they SO could've cashed in on the old Buzz Lightyear of Star Command series. There must've been at least 20 little boys with Buzz somewhere on their body when I went to Toy Story 3. They were all so cute!

Which brings me to my next point: I hope Toy Story is one of these classic Disney movies. A Woody's Roundup series or something would get me to never ever stop watching Disney. Like EVER.

Pablo_808

[6]Jun 21, 2010
    As long as they get P,B, & J Otter, Bear and the Big Blue House and Rolie Polie Olie to air on the channel, they have won themselves over a loyal viewer in me. Hell, bring in the old Winnie the Pooh animated show series and I'd be more hooked on Disney Jr. than regular Disney. Although I would think they would just transfer their current shows and create new one, re-runs of old childhood classics for the new generation to enjoy would not hurt at all.

Copper40

[7]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 12
    Well, at least they got rid of that stupid imagination movers crap off of Disney Channel. Now give us our animation dose back! It's not that hard, Disney!

Jazz1706

[8]Jul 19, 2010
    • level: 1

I don't understand why Disney changed the time slot of the playhouse disney! What kid gets up at 4:00 a.m. to watch cartoons!!!!! My daughter and I got up every morning and watched playhouse together now by the time we get up which is between7:30 and 8:30 it is almost over with she enjoyed all the shows that are on there! Could someone PLEZZZZ tell me what Disney was thinking and if they are gonna change this back! I know that all the kids in my family (niece's and nephew's) all get up in the mornings and watch it to!

Pablo_808

[9]Jul 19, 2010
    It could just be another sick, twisted attempt on Disney's part to entice more people to buy the new channel, but that's just me. I could say the same thing about Nick Jr. Where I live at least, it comes on at about 4 in the morning and ends at 7 a.m. I'm not as big of a fan of Nick Jr. as i was back when I was a kid, but that is just way too early and short for any kid these days to watch their shows without having the Noggin/Nick Jr. channel. Hell, when I was young, it started at around 7 and went straight through to the afternoon, same with Playhouse Disney.

NatalieTV100

[10]Aug 10, 2010
    • level: 10

I always thought it was dumb for Disney and Nick to showPlayhouse Disney/Nick Jr shows at 5:00 in the morning when most little kids wake up at atleast 8:00. When I was young I remember having Nick Jr playing shows at 6:00 to around 1 or 2 o'clock.

Waggytoon

[11]Aug 25, 2010

Guess what? Disney Channel realized it WAS dumb to have the bland Playhouse Disney pablum airing at 4:00 in the morning! Because starting Tuesday, September 7, the Weekday Playhouse Disney lineup is returning to the period where it all started over a decade ago! That's right, Playhouse Disney is returning to the midday hours, where it will air from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM!

Hopefully it will mean Disney Channel will have an early morning animation block starting at 6:00 AM as of September 7. We can only hope.

"Waggytoon"

Pablo_808

[12]Aug 25, 2010
    I just know the kids of this generation will be squeeing with joy...

purplewowies

[13]Aug 26, 2010
    • level: 18
    Waggytoon wrote:

Guess what? Disney Channel realized it WAS dumb to have the bland Playhouse Disney pablum airing at 4:00 in the morning! Because starting Tuesday, September 7, the Weekday Playhouse Disney lineup is returning to the period where it all started over a decade ago! That's right, Playhouse Disney is returning to the midday hours, where it will air from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM!

Hopefully it will mean Disney Channel will have an early morning animation block starting at 6:00 AM as of September 7. We can only hope.

"Waggytoon"

I'm seeing it as 4:00 to 2:00, but perhaps they're going to do some kind of transition for a week. Ten hours of Playhouse is just too much. I hope that they go back to their old (read: regular) lineup. I was actually hoping they'd return to it the second the Camp Rock 2 premiere weekend was over (because, in my mind, that probably marked the end of their "summer" promotion).
    Edited on 08/26/2010 4:23pm

Waggytoon

[14]Nov 11, 2010

Well, as everyone knows by now, the bland Playhouse Disney preschool pablum has been on from 4:00 AM to 2:00 PM Weekdays and 4:00 AM to 9:00 AM Weekends. And the rebranding of Playhouse Disney into Disney Junior is coming in February.

"Waggytoon"

agent_0042

[15]Jan 15, 2011
    Yeah, as Waggytoon says, Disney Junior rebranding begins in February. Confirmed programming includes Chuggington, Jungle Junction, Little Einsteins Imagination Movers, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and more. New shows will include Doc McStuffins, Jake and the Neverland Pirates and the new CGI Babar series. Disney Junior full network launches in the U.S. in 2012 - non-U.S. markets will have the rebranding applied over time to existing channels in 2011.

http://www.disneyjunior.com

Oh, and yes, I'm also surprised that they didn't do this a lot sooner. Sprout, Nick Jr. and Qubo are killing them. If I were them, I wouldn't wait until 2012 to launch the full network. I would do it now.

Edit: Exact start date for Disney Junior is February 14.
    Edited on 01/16/2011 3:49am
    Edited 2 total times.

Waggytoon

[16]Jan 19, 2011

At 4:00 AM Eastern Time February 14 it will still be Playhouse Disney, but from 8:30 AM on it will be rebranded Disney Junior, launching with its new series "Jake and the Never Land Pirates" at that time. The movie 'Finding Nemo' will lead into the Disney Junior launch.

"Waggytoon"

Waggytoon

[17]Feb 17, 2011

Big news! The Disney Junior block will be bringing back the famed "Dalmatians" animated TV series at 4:00 AM starting early tomorrow morning. Fans of the legendary pup Cadpig should be excited to know this! It's possible the 'Dalmatians' TV series will be airing Weekend mornings, but I'm not sure about that right now.

"Waggytoon"

agent_0042

[18]Feb 18, 2011
    I think the new network looks great and I love the new shows!

Waggytoon

[19]Feb 23, 2011

Unfortunately, a few minutes before Disney Channel was going to bring back the 'Dalmatians' animated series, some lousy programmer at the network aborted the return of the show and decided to rerun the bland 'Charlie and Lola' instead on the weekends! Talk about being mean and heartless! The Disney Junior block was about to receive an audience boost, but instead it's become an audience bust!

Thanks a lot, Disney Channel, for ruining the opportunity to improve the Disney Junior block intensely!

"Waggytoon"

agent_0042

[20]Feb 23, 2011
    I like Charlie & Lola, but that is a shame for those of you who were hoping for Dalmatians.