Forums: Children: Playhouse Disney Rebranding as Disney Junior, Launching New Network

purplewowies

[21]Feb 24, 2011
    • level: 18
    Where did you hear the Dalmatians news? 'Cause they've been airing Charlie and Lola since before the switchover, and I actually checked my guide after the switchover and it listed Charlie and Lola since the beginning.

No "lousy programmer" decided to "abort the return" of the show "moments before it aired." This stuff is planned weeks in advance, and they normally don't change it unless it's an emergency.

If they wanted to put in older series like Dalmatians, I think it would be best if they took away one slot from a show that airs twice a day (especially if that show is nothing but reruns). That way, they could fit in older series (and in the middle of the day, too), and the newer series that today's children already know and love wouldn't be kicked out.

After a quick look at the online guide, it appears that Dalmatians SHOULD be airing on Fridays in the 4-4:25 timeslot and no other time.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Waggytoon

[22]Feb 24, 2011
    • level: 13

It is. I checked my TV GUIDE On-screen listings and the 'Dalmatians" animated series is airing Friday mornings at 4:00 AM. I stand corrected.

It is nice to have Cadpig and the other pups back on, if for only one morning a week. I'd rather have it every morning.

Anyway, I believe Disney Channel is relegating the 'Dalmatians' animated episodes to those full-length half-hour stories that were done for the show. At least, that's what I think.

Welcome back, Dalmatians! We've missed you a lot.

Now if only Angel can make a comeback.

"Waggytoon"

agent_0042

[23]Feb 26, 2011
    • level: 66
    So you guys do get to have Dalmatians after all. And remember, the Dalmatians were part of the logo in the animated Disney Junior promo, so they will likely be a big part of the 24 hour network. In fact, they might even be planning a new show based on them.

Waggytoon

[24]Feb 28, 2011

Either that or the network will finally have the original series earn a new legion of fans while reclaiming former fans of the show.

And by the way, Cadpig was the most popular of the TV pups in the series. She paved the way for the beloved Angel who arrived a few years later in the Disney animated TV menagerie of favorite characters.

"Waggytoon"

agent_0042

[25]Feb 28, 2011
    It's a Cartoon Pizza series, isn't it? I think a lot of people were surprised and pleased that they decided to air it, given the bad blood between Cartoon Pizza and Disney. None of their other shows are airing on Playhouse Disney anymore - Doug, Stanley, PB&J Otter, JoJo's Circus...

Waggytoon

[26]Mar 1, 2011

No, the animated "Dalmatians" series has always been Disney TV Animation. You must be confusing this popular animated series with "My Friends Tigger and Pooh" which featured a Dalmatian pup named Buster.

"Waggytoon"

agent_0042

[27]Mar 2, 2011
    Tigger & Pooh is entirely Disney. Cartoon Pizza didn't have anything to with it. And Buster isn't a Dalmatian, he's a mutt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_Pizza -- See, right on the page -- 101 Dalmatians - "co-production with Walt Disney Television Animation."
    Edited on 03/02/2011 4:56pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Waggytoon

[28]Mar 3, 2011

Okay, I need some clarification. Is Cartoon Pizza one of those overseas animation companies that worked with Disney TV Animation in the 1990s?

Also, "Dalmatians" viewers are probably realizing that Disney Channel is only airing the full-length half-hour episodes and none of the shorts in the series, for some odd reason.

"Waggytoon"

agent_0042

[29]Mar 3, 2011
    No, Cartoon Pizza is a U.S. company, originally known as Jumbo Pictures, that was also known for their work on Doug, PB&J Otter, Stanley and JoJo's Circus, among other programs. Surely you recognize the names of some of those shows? They were some of Playhouse Disney's most popular programs. Didn't you look at the Wikipedia link?
    Edited on 03/03/2011 4:38pm

Waggytoon

[30]Mar 4, 2011

Okay, now I understand. I recall the former Jumbo Pictures logo at the end of both versions of 'Doug'. But I don't recall that company ever doing animation for Disney's 'Dalmatians' TV series.

It must be that Jumbo changed its name to Cartoon Pizza sometime in the early or mid 2000s, after 'Doug' and "Dalmatians" ended production.

"Waggytoon"

purplewowies

[31]Mar 4, 2011
    In the Dalmatians credits, it says it was produced by Walt Disney TV Animation in association with Jumbo Pictures.

Waggytoon

[32]Mar 7, 2011

Yes. Yes, it was. But as I mentioned, it is likely Jumbo changed its name to Cartoon Pizza sometime in the 2000s.

If only Disney Channel could give the 'Dalmatians' animated series more airtime. I mean, only Friday mornings at 4:00 AM is kind of worthless in scheduling of the show.

Also, the "Dalmatians" animated series was the first Disney TV Animation series to have a 65-episode limit set on the series, consisting of 52 half-hours originally airing in syndication and 13 half-hours which aired on abc. And during abc's second or third season, some of the syndicated half-hours aired on the network prior to its original move to Disney Channel, and later, the now-former Toon Disney.

This 65-episode limit was a modification of the original 65-episode limit set for 'Rescue Rangers' and "TaleSpin" in the early 1990s, after shows like "Darkwing Duck" and 'Goof Troop' had additional episodes made for abc in addition to the original 65 half-hours that aired in syndication later in the decade.

"Waggytoon"

agent_0042

[33]Mar 7, 2011
    Waggy, that's sort of true, but not quite correct. What actually happened was that Jim Jinkins sold the rights to the Jumbo Pictures company to Disney. After a few years, the company was discontinued and he formed Cartoon Pizza, which was, for all intents and purposes, Jumbo Pictures 2.0. Cartoon Pizza continued to produce content for Disney including Stanley, JoJo's Circus and the spinoff series Feeling Good with JoJo. Then, Disney used JoJo, Stanley and associated characters in a video called We are Family which Jinkins felt promoted a gay agenda that didn't mesh with his Christian sensibilities. So he and the company marketed Pinky Dinky Doo to what was then Noggin instead and also produced their own series of largely forgotten Christian-themed videos called HoopDogz.

This is the "bad blood" between the two companies that I was referring to.
    Edited on 03/07/2011 4:09pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Waggytoon

[34]Mar 8, 2011

Somehow, Disney Channel decided to bring back the famed 'Dalmatians" animated TV series to boost the ratings for Disney Junior even more than with "Jake and the Never Land Pirates". Of course, the guys at Cartoon Pizza probably don't realize the 'Dalmatians" animated series has been brought back, albeit only one morning a week, which is lame even for Disney Channel scheduling. The main problem is that very few people are now awake at 4:00 AM, since Disney Channel dropped "Lilo & Stitch: The Series" after July 4, 2010, and there's really nothing worth viewing in those early morning hours anymore due to Disney Junior.

"Waggytoon"

agent_0042

[35]Mar 11, 2011
    So I recorded and watched an episode of that 101 Dalmatians show, and I definitely thought it was a lot of fun. Not that I expected anything less from a Jumbo Pictures show.

Anyway, I am definitely sold on Disney Junior. I like both Tinga Tinga Tales and the new Babar show and I've also found a new favorite in Timmy Time. I'm definitely looking forward to when they go to the full 24 hour network.

purplewowies

[36]Mar 11, 2011
    Well... I understand that there might be some sense to them moving Disney Junior to the 4:00 a.m. timeslot. There are really little kids who will wake up at 3 in the morning and drive their parents crazy because they've already watched everything in the house (apparently, I was one of those kids), and Junior offers something new.

I DO wish I could stay home in the mornings so I could see Tinga Tinga Tales and Babar, but alas, I must do my duties. I don't even have a day I can take off sick. And then when I WILL be home during those hours, I'll be in a house with no cable. I wonder if I'm just destined not to see them.

agent_0042

[37]Mar 12, 2011
    purplewowies, you don't have anything that you can use to record them? And no way to watch them online?

Waggytoon

[38]Mar 14, 2011

The 'Dalmatians' animated series originally aired in syndication and on abc between 1997 and 1999. It then moved to Disney Channel and a couple years later what was then Toon Disney.

And if kids are actually awake at 3:00 AM then they must be watching 'Phineas and Ferb' on Disney Channel or one of the comedy animation blocks on nickToons or even 'Aaron Stone' on Disney XD. Okay, that might be stretching things a bit. Then again.......

"Waggytoon"

agent_0042

[39]Mar 14, 2011
    Bad news - the 101 Dalmatians show has disappeared from listings.

purplewowies

[40]Mar 14, 2011
    agent_0042 wrote:
    purplewowies, you don't have anything that you can use to record them? And no way to watch them online?

The person who pays the cable bill doesn't like me using his DVR. And I didn't even think of watching online. I might try that if I ever remember to do it.

And Dalmatians disappeared? Gah, I was actually planning on watching that this week (I'd been missing it, mostly because I was asleep almost every time it came on).