Forums: Children: The good times of ABC's Saturday Morning Lineup in the 80's and 90's

Antique22

[1]Jul 6, 2013
    • level: 11

If you were a child of the 80's and 90's can you remember the time when you would turn on ABC every morning to see the best Saturday Morning cartoons and shows? In my eyes ABC's Saturday Morning lineup was one of the best innoventions in kids TV and really was truly a treat for kids to see and look forward to each Saturday and now ever since Disney took over ABC's Saturday Morning lineup the lineup has become somewhat different and all other kids networks had started to copy ABC's formula of kids programming. Take for instance I was reading an Archie comic from 1995 and in it was an advertisement for the then new ABC Saturday Morning lineup of 1995 which consisted of shows like Fudge {Based on the Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing book by Judy Blume} What A Mess The New Adventures of Madeline Bump In The Night Reboot Free Willy The Bugs Bunny And Tweety Show and the ABC Weekend Special. If you were to compare the 1995 Saturday Morning ABC lineup to the ABC Saturday Morning lineup of today you'll see that the 90's lineup of ABC was better and there was stuff that kept kids entertained without gettingbored and with Schoolhouse Rock being shown on ABC kids would also learn stuff too. Why doesn't ABC have a better Saturday Morning lineup like this today and with a whole new generation of kids ABC would get millions of dollars with a brand new improved Saturday Morning Lineup with original cartoons and kid friendly music videos that would keep kids entertaned,

Do you remember watching ABC's Saturday Morning Lineup as a child and could it be improved today for today's kids?,

Tiki

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ktfahel

[2]Jul 6, 2013
    • level: 16

I was a child of the '70s. I remember every year, near the end of summer, the "Big 3" (ABC, NBC, CBS) would air a 1/2-hour special, introducing the new Saturday Morning lineups. Those were the days when Looney Tunes, Hanna Barbera, DePatie/Freleng,and Rankin/Bass would totally rule!

Edited on 07/06/2013 6:42pm

Antique22

[3]Jul 7, 2013
    • level: 11

I can remember when ABC had great kids shows and the ABC Weekend Special was so great and showed lots of great movies like Beverly Cleary's The Mouse And The Motorcycle that starred Fred Savage and the Little Lulu series and then when ABC no longer showed The ABC Weekend Special and replaced it with Disney's 1 Saturday Morning lineup that had shows like Doug Pepper Ann Recess and Fillmore and by this time I think ABC was trying to bring a more mature older kids lineup to their channel with more Disney shows which are still shown today. But you know ABC should try to design a more better Saturday Morning Lineup for kids today that lasts til 12PM and try to bring back or design a new ABCWeekend Special as well as another ABC favorite The ABC After School Special filled with better movies that kids will enjoy because I find it odd that of all the kids channels for Saturday Morning Cartoons ABC could still make a whole lot of money by bringing back Saturday Morning Cartoons back to TV for a new generation to enjoy,

Tiki

ktfahel

[4]Jul 7, 2013
    • level: 16

Unfortunately, with whole channels devoted to children's programming 24/7, there really isn't a market for a specific, child-devoted time, like Saturday Morning cartoons on network TV. Kids can watch their cartoons with no or limited commercial time now.

I'm not disagreeing with you; if anything, I'm on your team! I just don't see the feasibility. It's sad, really.