TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: Comedy: Best Comedy Shows Ever?

Mathematical

[21]Feb 12, 2013
    • level: 1

For a while, comedy was all I watched - I never felt that I had the time or patience for hour long dramas, but I've recently gone into that full force. A good comedy, a truly good comedy, takes a hell of a lot to get to the proper place for me.

I can instantly rule out any show that has a laugh track. It doesn't really matter the content - if the shows creators feel the need to have a laugh track in it this day and age? It's unforgivable. I give some leeway to older shows.. Seinfeld and Frasier, which are excellent shows that if done today.. I feel wouldn't have a laugh track.

Besides that, I consider where the comedy comes from. The best way to explain this is Big Bang Theory and Community. I love Community and I absolutely loathe Big Bang, but both are in general.. based around meta culture references. Taking the laugh track on Big Bang out of the equation here.. BBT is a show that gets its comedy from making fun of 'nerds' or 'geeks' - they shove it straight in your face and suddenly its the next "it" thing. But Community on the other hand, is a show FOR the exact type of people that BBT thinks that it is targeting but is instead making fun of with over the top example and humor.

And something that is just personally on my list - references in the show. I like a comedy that initially, you can't just jump into and fully enjoy. That sounds bad on the surface I think, but at the same time it's this kind of thinking that causes cookie cutter TV programs. When my first watching makes callbacks.. I feel good for having watched the whole thing. And then when I can go and watch again finding new things each time, it's just about as good as things get.

Finally - the list of my favorite comedies.

- It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

- Arrested Development

- Community

- Louie

- Malcolm In The Middle

- Seinfeld

- The IT Crowd (and it HAS to be as good as it is for me to get over the laugh track)

- Workaholics

There are shows like The Office and Parks and Rec that I enjoy as well, but the whole pseduo-documentary concept throws me off a bit too.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

geislerm

[22]May 25, 2013

I know that some people run down "The Big Bang Theory"" but I love it. I can watch episodes over and over... in fact knowing what's coming sometimes just heightens the fun. I agree that it doesn't need the laugh track but I can live with that.

There's a ton of channels to watch but they're all filled with just too much "crap" making them not worth watching because of the extreme violence, gore, and lack of respect for human dignity. Each new drama seems to be trying to outdo all the others by shocking you with more and more explicit mutilation and filth. I like action and adventure but shows these day are going too far.

Show's like "The Big Bang Theory" are something that family members of every age can watch. I like that!

vortex6688

[23]May 27, 2013
    • level: 2

The "Friends" are still the best, please check my website out : fansoffriends.com ! I'm not spaming, just want to share my source. Thank you!

daniellecio

[24]Jun 11, 2013

Why is pretty much everyone on the front page writing like they are on drugs?

sharpki

[25]Jun 26, 2013
    • level: 5

Frasier is my fav, everybody loves Raymond, community and how I met your mother is great(prolly because of the ongoing inside jokes)

modernfamily120

[26]Jun 26, 2013
    • level: 20

My three favorites are Modern Family, Friends, and The Middle.

jen18

[27]Jul 7, 2013

For me, the 3 stoogees is fabulous and hilarious!

Friends, visit my club: http://www.chatcat.net/?Club=Happy%20Club

Steptron

[28]Jul 9, 2013

I think at the moment it has to be Mrs Browns Boys as there isn't an episode that doesn't make me howl with laughter, each series just sees it grow in popularity, I would love to go and watch it live as I have heard its amazing and even funnier live than on tv if that's at all possible.

99TVCar84287

[29]Jul 24, 2013
    well, Monty Python certainly has to be near the top.

Laugh-In and The Flip Wilson show were both great in their time.

the funniest one I have come across more recently has been Arrested Development...

Cheshiremoon1

[30]Nov 7, 2013
    Cuckoo is by far one of the funniest shows I have ever seen! Too short though

Lionleanne

[31]Mar 24, 2014
    • level: 2

I love Lucy would have to be somewhere at the top

I do love it's always sunny in phili! There is also Cheers, Frasier, Friends, Seinfeld and The Mary Tyler Moor show that I would have on mine

skbrettbug

[32]Mar 26, 2014
    • level: 19
    Seinfeld!