Forums: Comedy: Family Guy. Good or Bad?

LukeHorvat

[161]Apr 4, 2008
    • level: 2
    Family Guy has its moments where it can be quite funny, but more often than not the jokes just aren't that good. They're either lame or half-assed attempts at comedy. You'll find that people who have a very basic sense of humor, and find dumbed-down slapstick routines hilarious, usually worship Family Guy. Again, I'll reiterate that it does have a few moments of genius, but these are far and few between.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jrapaport

[162]Apr 8, 2008
    • level: 5
    I find "Family Guy" to be much better than "The Simpsons" right now. Although I don't watch "The Simpson's" that much anymore. "The Simpsons" is an amazing show with so many years of great episodes, but I can't seem to pass up an episode of FG even if I've already seen it.

SherlockHolmes1

[163]Apr 10, 2008
    I think both are great, but I would place the Simpsons ahead of it.

MrCleveland

[164]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 8

1999-2002, Good

2005-Now, Bad

Why? It's more gross-out than it was before.

insomniac360

[165]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 21
    It used to be good. But it's bad now. Seth Macfarlane's lost his touch.
    Edited on 04/10/2008 9:41pm

LexLuv101

[166]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 1
    I've found some episodes I love and laugh my butt off at...but some are silly, stupid, and in no way humorous. I can't rate the show too high because of that.

tortillafactory

[167]Apr 19, 2008
    insomniac360 wrote:
    It used to be good. But it's bad now. Seth Macfarlane's lost his touch.

This is pretty much how I feel. Part of it is that they're trying too hard to please the fans. What we really love about the show is the random inappropriate humor; we don't want to see the same stupid pedophilia jokes with Herbert or Peter fighting the chicken for five minutes or whatever. If they catch on to that, the show will improve.

lolabomb

[168]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 4

I think its a bit silly to say that they copy the Simpsons since the simpsons have done everything think about the south park episode. Its hard not to do something the simpsons haven't.

But I say Yes to Family Guy, Love it!

TopazEEnE

[169]Jun 2, 2008
    Family Guy is great! I agree that they do copy some stuff from The Simpsons, but Family Guy is still really funny. I like both shows the same, anyway.

Tehodis

[170]Jun 2, 2008
    Ugh, I hate Family Guy.
    LukeHorvat wrote:
    They're either lame or half-assed attempts at comedy. You'll find that people who have a very basic sense of humor, and find dumbed-down slapstick routines hilarious, usually worship Family Guy.

I totally agree with this. I just can't bring myself to like it, at all. I have tried, and I absolutely despise it.

skaizun

[171]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 20

I liked it in the beginning, but then it became excessively raunchy and overly dependent on (read: rips-off) Simpson episodes, and it is just not funny, anymore. Even the "Star Wars" special was mind-boggingly inane and barely a spoof at all; the 1977, thirteen-minute flick, "Hardware Wars", was WAY funnier (still is!!!).

I feel the same way about the director/producer's "American Dad".

What's even more astonishing, is that the dir/prod, Seth McFarlane (who, BTW, had bit parts on "Star Trek: Enterprise"), got a tidy sum from Fox to continue the dreck through 2012, despite the fact that the ratings have been falling and there are virtually no commercial tie-ins (i.e., the biggest money makers); but, then, I don't recall anyone accusing the studios of having any sense!

Kadodian

[172]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 23
    I love Family guy. It's funny and it does copy the Simpsons but it uses all it's storylines in very funny ways. I love the characters too

lucys25

[173]Jun 13, 2008
    i like it but i totally love thso much better then it simpsons rock whos watched the movie its weome lol i love the part wen they escape n homer thinks hes gonna get out rite away but then it takes him a while n hes like haha suckers n hes sticking up his fingers i crackes up at that part i thought i was gonna die they lmost kicked me out the movie theator because of that i was on the ground screaming i couldnt even breath n then at the end i wan doin that 2 ppl lol

HYPERVYPER76

[174]Jun 13, 2008

I'll admit I liked the show when I was a kid in the early 2000s. But the old episodes haven't stood the test of time in my opinion and when the series came back the episodes were getting worse and worse. All in all it's a pretty terrible show and shouldn't even be compared to the likes of Simpsons, Futurama and King of the Hill.

drewshack

[175]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 47
    lucys25 wrote:
    i like it but i totally love thso much better then it simpsons rock whos watched the movie its weome lol i love the part wen they escape n homer thinks hes gonna get out rite away but then it takes him a while n hes like haha suckers n hes sticking up his fingers i crackes up at that part i thought i was gonna die they lmost kicked me out the movie theator because of that i was on the ground screaming i couldnt even breath n then at the end i wan doin that 2 ppl lol

Punctuation and spell-check are your friends...

TheTomNookster

[176]Jun 15, 2008
    I say bad because the humor is often unfunny and stale. There are hilarious moments, though.

fredricdafly

[177]Jun 17, 2008
    It's decent, but not the best. It's one of those shows where you really don't have to see the whole episode to get the main idea, and if you see only half of it you don't really feel like you missed anything. I haven't seen that many episodes, but the earlier episodes (seasons 1,2,3, and sometimes 4) are usually more entertaining. It's definetly not one of my top favorites, but it's fun to watch occasionally, especially with friends.

Da_man3500

[178]Jun 17, 2008
    • level: 13

Family Guy = Fantastic Adult Programing.

If you have a sense of humor you would really like this show it is good to keep this kind of show of a non-cable network so that everyone old enough can enjoy. Now some parts are not good for kids but usually the jokes just go right over the kids heads and that is what makes it great.

Big_Papi7

[179]Jun 20, 2008

LukeHorvat wrote:
    Family Guy has its moments where it can be quite funny, but more often than not the jokes just aren't that good. They're either lame or half-assed attempts at comedy. You'll find that people who have a very basic sense of humor, and find dumbed-down slapstick routines hilarious, usually worship Family Guy. Again, I'll reiterate that it does have a few moments of genius, but these are far and few between.

Well idk how you think Family Guy isn't funny and The Office is (your icon is from The Office so I'm assuming you enjoy it). The Office has got to be one of the dumbest shows ever. It honestly looks like some random person just picked up a camera and started recording in some office.

Anyone who has a sense of humor, and actually understands the jokes will love Family Guy.

crzza

[180]Jun 22, 2008
    • level: 49
    Family Guy is funny at times, like American Dad. But sometimes, the jokes aren't funny. And they're those long pauses...