Forums: Comedy: Is NICKELODEON Going Downhill?

sitcommaster

[1]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 17

What do you think? Is NICKELODEON going downhill? Give your reasons for your opinion.

I WILL UPDATE THE PERCENTAGES, AND KEEP AN EYE ON THIS FORUM. THANKS VERY MUCH TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE STILL POSTING, I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

PERCENTAGES AS OF JUL 30th 2007:

Going downhill:80%

Not going downhill: 20%

So, the percentages remain the same despite many new posts. Keep postingyour thoughts about this subject. !!!

MY COMMENT

So, is NICKELODEON going downhill. In my opinion, definitely. The reasons? Quite a few actually. NICK's current lineup of teen oriented live-action shows, such as Zoey 101, The All New Sleepover Club, and Genie in the House, Unfabulous and The Naked Brothers Band, are really not of the best viewing quality. They lack humour, the characters aren't the best ever, and episodes become more mundane and boring with the duration of each series.

Personally, I think that NICK, and SNICK, are poor compared to the shows that used to be aired back in the days when NICK was the channel for teens, and families to enjoy. Truly memorable shows such as Clarissa Explains It All, The Ren and Stimpy Show, The Secret World Of Alex Mack, All That, and, of course, the brilliant Kenan & Kel Show. Truly original shows one and all. These shows didn't try to be anything else; they didn't try to be pop-culture, they didn't try to be overly sophisticated, and they certainly didn't try to be Disney---they were NICKELODEON, pure and simple.

Contrast these shows to todays lineup of live-action shows. Shows like The Amanda Show, Unfabulous, Drake & Josh, and Zoey 101,are shows lacking the originality, and pure character that made NICKELODEON great during the early and mid 90's. As concerning Drake & Josh, this show had a lot of promise when it first begen, it even had potential, but lack-lusture episode scripts and ideas, coupled with below-par humour, made this another washed-up NICKELODEON series. Even the newest shows, Just Jordan and The Naked Brothers Band, have the same traits that the other most recent NICK shows have. NICKELODEON will crash and burn, if the big cats, the writers, and directors don't study and learn from the greats.

The re-runs of the old shows, like Fresh Prince, and The Cosby Show, are good, but re-runs will only satisfy teens by evoking feelings of nostalgia. New shows with truly original ideas, with the NICKELODEON formula are needed. WE THE PEOPLE, want NICKELODEON to go back to basics!!!

Huge thanks to all of the users who have made my very first forum a success, by posting their thoughts. You people have really made this forum interesting, great, and actually funny in places too.

I, SITCOMMASTER, WILL HOST ANOTHER FORUM IN THE NEAR FUTURE, SO KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES.....I mean the COMEDY FORUMS!!!

Edited on 07/30/2007 10:47am
    Edited 19 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spongeyfan

[2]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 28
    sitcommaster wrote:

SITCOMMASTER FORUM

PEOPLE, this is sitcommaster. Nickelodeon had a reputation of leading in all that was funny. Is that the same now?

It seems to me that the current crop of shows just don't cut it in humor, with exception to Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide.

Are my comments controversial, or do you agree? Tell me what you think yes or no, and why?

I'll post the results as a percentage soon.

PS. Check out my blog and tell me what you think?

I agree i think TeenNick is stupid.

ANT890

[3]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 12
    Spongeyfan wrote:
    sitcommaster wrote:

SITCOMMASTER FORUM

PEOPLE, this is sitcommaster. Nickelodeon had a reputation of leading in all that was funny. Is that the same now?

It seems to me that the current crop of shows just don't cut it in humor, with exception to Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide.

Are my comments controversial, or do you agree? Tell me what you think yes or no, and why?

I'll post the results as a percentage soon.

PS. Check out my blog and tell me what you think?

I agree i think TeenNick is stupid.

SitcomMaster, your about 5 years late mentioning that Nick is going downhill. I likeNed's Declassified, although the humor isn't random enough for me.

Yes, Nick-at-Nite is doing very poorly, as they only air the same three shows (Full House, Roseanne, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and occasions of the Cosby Show)

thoughtsofjapan

[4]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 5
    My mom thought Nickolodeon was so bad for me, she forbid me from watching it when I turned 11. I'm 18 now, going on 19 in July, and it's still in the same horrible condition. I think after the original rugrats tv show stopped being cool, nickelodeon stopped being cool. I no longer have it listed on my custom channels on my television. If it weren't for Adult Swim, and Toonami, being on Cartoon Network, i'd stop watching CN too.

filmnerd

[5]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 5
    Yeah Nickelodeon's been bad for a long time now. It's like they're completely out of touch with what teens like. I feel like they're trying to be Disney with some of their sitcoms, and the cartoons are just awful. If it weren't for SpongeBob, Nickelodeon would be inconsequential. They need to get back to cartoons like Ren & Stimpy and Aaah! Real Monsters.

raven_music447

[6]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 17

The recent nick shows like Mr Meaty are just plain unappropiate for a kid's channel. I mean it's Nickelodeon not MTV!!!

GATZ1000

[7]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 39

thoughtsofjapan wrote:
    My mom thought Nickolodeon was so bad for me, she forbid me from watching it when I turned 11. I'm 18 now, going on 19 in July, and it's still in the same horrible condition. I think after the original rugrats tv show stopped being cool, nickelodeon stopped being cool. I no longer have it listed on my custom channels on my television. If it weren't for Adult Swim, and Toonami, being on Cartoon Network, i'd stop watching CN too.

I feel practically the same way as you do on the subject, except for the banning of Nickelodeon because that is just wrong because of all the kid friendly shows that shove down our throats now. My whole family was a rugrats watcher and we enjoyed every minute of it, until they grew up and the show went down the tubes. Now the harsh facts, Cartoon network is on a slow decline going down hill because if you are not an anime watcher or enjoy adult swim/toonami then there is pretty much no reason to turn it over to that channel. Cartoon network is my sort of channel because I enjoy many of the programming on the channel - Bleach for one.

I barely watch Nick anymore because I am more of a TV land kind of guy - green acres, I love Lucy, Happy Days, Leave it to Beaver, and so much more. Nick at Nite is crap compared to any other station, as someone put it showing the same types of shows over and over again - fresh prince, cosby show, and roseanne.

Spongeyfan

[8]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 28
    filmnerd wrote:
    Yeah Nickelodeon's been bad for a long time now. It's like they're completely out of touch with what teens like. I feel like they're trying to be Disney with some of their sitcoms, and the cartoons are just awful. If it weren't for SpongeBob, Nickelodeon would be inconsequential. They need to get back to cartoons like Ren & Stimpy and Aaah! Real Monsters.

I don't really like Real Monsters it does'nt appeal to me but i like Ren and Stimpy but John K said that he only wants the show on DVD now due to the censors on every single channel it airs on it.

SMGslayer97

[9]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 34
    I gotta say yes, yes, yes. I really think over the last couple of years Nickelodeon has been going downhill. I mean I remember a time when there used to be a large variety of programming that me and my two younger brothers liked to watch but now a lot of the stuff just seems so pointless. I mean in trying to appeal to the teenagers they seem to coming out with these shows that have like zero appeal and some the cartoons they are coming up with just sort of border on rediculous. I mean I know I am not really the targer audience in the least but I've asked my younger brothers, who pretty are the target audience, and they agree.

redgarlic68

[10]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 10
    I watch it a real lot, but just the cartoons. Avatar is my favorite show right now, so my opinion is kinda biased

ANT890

[12]Jan 31, 2007
    [QUOTE="raven_music447"]

The recent nick shows like Mr Meaty are just plain unappropiate for a kid's channel. I mean it's Nickelodeon not MTV!!!

[QUOTE]

about that, technically, Nickelodeon IS MTV. Before 1995, MTV owned all rights of Nickelodeon. they still do, but of course Viacom controls whatever occurs on both stations, as MTV Networks was brought out by them in 1995.

seinfeld111690

[13]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 25
    Nick just plain sucks

HeavenWood

[14]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 19
    It’s defiantly not like it was in the late 80’s early 90 to mid 90’s. Teen Nick is not like Snick at all.

I like Roseanne and the Cosby show so I don’t mind them running them a lot since I don’t watch them all the time. Every summer they do Marathons and I thought they’d stop once summer ended but they still had them. I heard in the fall they are brining Home improvement to the line up

GATZ1000

[15]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 39
    All they need to do to improve the station is bring back the program of yester years like good old classic SNICK for starters with the old All That(old school version not the one with the new characters that suck and can't act), Kenan and Kel("Awww! here it goes" and "who loves orange soda", and the other programming, heck I wouldn't even mind seeing My Cousin Skeeter again. There was tons of classic shows that got thrown unto the floor to make room for today's crappy programming, this goes for more than just the nick station.

sreetballers911

[16]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 1
    I havent seen nick for like years since now im into like older stuff. Maybe they should bring back the classics.

ANT890

[17]Feb 1, 2007

HeavenWood wrote:
    It’s defiantly not like it was in the late 80’s early 90 to mid 90’s. Teen Nick is not like Snick at all. I like Roseanne and the Cosby show so I don’t mind them running them a lot since I don’t watch them all the time. Every summer they do Marathons and I thought they’d stop once summer ended but they still had them. I heard in the fall they are brining Home improvement to the line up

Once they bring Family Matters around, I'll be a happy Camper. they can't bring Home Improvemnt on without Family Matters. They were practically rating busters and close competitors for the ratings.

Anyway, everything was at it's peak during the 80s, from Music to Television. TVand music unfortunately will continue to go donwhill. Can't stop that.

bart8787

[18]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 8
    how old are you? i stopped caring about nick a long time ago

point_zero_xbl

[19]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 2
    It's been going downhill since the beginning of the century.

ANT890

[20]Feb 1, 2007

point_zero_xbl wrote:
    It's been going downhill since the beginning of the century.

LONG beofre the beginning of the century Nick has been going downhill.