TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: Comedy: Tina Caspary and Married... with Children

atasa

[1]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 2

Caspary/Carson controversy

According to E! True Hollywood Story: Married... with Children episode, Tina Caspary was originally cast as Kelly Bundy on "Married... with Children", along with Hunter Carson (son of actress Karen Black), who played Kelly's TV brother Bud Bundy, but the producers thought they didn't exactly fit the roles, so they replaced Caspary with Christina Applegate, and Hunter Carson was replaced with David Faustino. Many are critical of that change in cast. According to them, Caspary was 'dumped' not because her acting was bad or she didn't fit the part, but because Christina Applegate had connections in show business (her mother is an actress and her father was a record producer). The original Pilot version taped on December 12, 1986, was different from the broadcasted Pilot (0101). While many people agree that Carson really didn't fit the role of Bud, they feel that Tina Caspary was better at portraying Kelly Bundy on the unaired pilot episode. "She even did that funny face when she says good bye to Peggy and Al on the pilot, whether Applegate had a too serious face and sometimes even looked angry or fed up with the series." It is fair to say that the change of cast before the actual start of the sitcom was virtually unknown with audiences and general public until the 2000s, when it was revealed in the E! True Hollywood Story series. Soon, the unaired pilot (or parts of it) was uploaded on many video hosting websites like YouTube. That caused a certain amount of backlash by some of the Married... with Children fans.

How do you feel about that? I watched the unaired pilot (well, parts of it) on YouTube and I think Carson's acting really sucked. However, Tina Caspary's acting was better in my opinion than acting of Chrisitina Applegate. As for the blonde hair - there are hair dyes. I will never enjoy Married... with Children as I did when I didn't know that. Tina Caspary was a great actress and now we son't have the chance to see her on TV, because she works as a choreographer.

Edited on 12/05/2008 2:21pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

skeeter291

[2]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 60
    Well, from what I saw of the unaired pilot I was not that impressed with Caspary's "Kelly". Maybe if she had the chance she could have grown into the role. I think Christina Applegate played the part of Kelly in the pilot spot on where I think Caspray would have had to work more at it. But either way Married...With Children is still one of my favorite shows.

Scott-

tribalchic

[3]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 17
    atasa wrote:

Caspary/Carson controversy

According to E! True Hollywood Story: Married... with Children episode, Tina Caspary was originally cast as Kelly Bundy on "Married... with Children", along with Hunter Carson (son of actress Karen Black), who played Kelly's TV brother Bud Bundy, but the producers thought they didn't exactly fit the roles, so they replaced Caspary with Christina Applegate, and Hunter Carson was replaced with David Faustino. Many are critical of that change in cast. According to them, Caspary was 'dumped' not because her acting was bad or she didn't fit the part, but because Christina Applegate had connections in show business (her mother is an actress and her father was a record producer). The original Pilot version taped on December 12, 1986, was different from the broadcasted Pilot (0101). While many people agree that Carson really didn't fit the role of Bud, they feel that Tina Caspary was better at portraying Kelly Bundy on the unaired pilot episode. "She even did that funny face when she says good bye to Peggy and Al on the pilot, whether Applegate had a too serious face and sometimes even looked angry or fed up with the series." It is fair to say that the change of cast before the actual start of the sitcom was virtually unknown with audiences and general public until the 2000s, when it was revealed in the E! True Hollywood Story series. Soon, the unaired pilot (or parts of it) was uploaded on many video hosting websites like YouTube. That caused a certain amount of backlash by some of the Married... with Children fans.

How do you feel about that? I watched the unaired pilot (well, parts of it) on YouTube and I think Carson's acting really sucked. However, Tina Caspery's acting was better in my opinion than acting of Chrisitina Applegate. As for the blonde hair - there are hair dyes. I will never enjoy Married... with Children as I did when I didn't know that. Tina Caspary was a great actress and now we son't have the chance to see her on TV, because she works as a choreographer.

well I knew this because I actually danced with Tina and Dee Caspary (for a convention) at their studio in LA, she drove a Firebird and on the back had a bumper sticker that said "The original Kelly Bundy" its kinda like a big joke with her family now.