Forums: Downloading Television: Downloading TV Shows (Outside the US)

grimface_87

[1]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 21

I live in Australia and was just wondering this:

Since we are not provided with any legal means to pay for and download TV shows (such as iTunes, etc.), is it legal to use file sharing sites/programs to download TV shows here? I have been thinking about this for a while. I am willing to pay for episodes if they are offered to me. But since they aren't, I download them "the other way'

Thoughts?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LSyd

[2]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 17
    It is illegal in Australia. It wasn't until very recently that the copyright law was changed to allow people to tape shows off TV or put music onto MP3 players (and even now, it doesn't provide for video content). There are exceptions - if the owners give permission then you can download them, that's why you can get some shows off the ABC website.

We all know it sucks that copyright laws apply even to things which aren't available locally, but that's life. Fortunately, most Australian DVD players are region-free, so it might be worth considering ordering the DVDs from America when they come out.

ZAPKVR

[3]Sep 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    What do you mean "very recently". The copyright act prohibits me importing my own CDs even if the copyright owner in Australia refuses to release them here. If the law holds the the consumer in such contempt it doesn't deserve to be observed. In fact it invites ridicule. The worst excess of this is the ridiculous zoning system of DVDs. The studios have tried (in vain thankfully) to have zone free players decalred illegal. This is a joke, The artist isn't protected, the studio isn't even protected because consumers make their own arrangements. I want to download Heroes because of the way Channel Seven in Australia play with the schedule and yet I am not allowed. It's ridiculous.

LSyd

[4]Sep 28, 2007

"Very recently" means December 2006 (although the changes didn't come into effect until January 2007).

I don't know where you came up with that part about importing CDs - if they're legal copies made with the permission of the original copyright owners, they're considered legal copies for Australia as well. Want proof?

Copyright Act 1968 -Commonwealth wrote:
    Section 10AA: (1) A copy of a sound recording is a non‑infringing copy only if it is made by or with the consent of:

(a) the owner of the copyright or related right in the sound recording in the country (the copy country) in which the copy was made. --source--

There are similar provisions for nearly everything else except books. The only reasons they block imports of copyright material is if it's pirated or it doesn't comply with Australian censorship laws (in other words, it would be refused classification, given an X rating or if you're importing DVDs or software, they think you're going to sell it without submitting it for classification first). If you disagree, show me otherwise.

The fact is that the Australian government knows how badly we get screwed over with "staggered releases" for movies, as well as the small market not making it worthwhile to release certain films which have only a very limited appeal, so rather than locking us out of seeing them, the government would rather have us import them. That's why it is legal to bypass region coding in Australia.

Sneddy2

[5]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 38
    LSyd wrote:

That's why it is legal to bypass region coding in Australia.

This is very much the truth. Recently, a friend of mine went to buy a DVD at one of the major electrical stores here in Australia. She asked them if it was region free. The salesperson told her that it should be and if it wasn't they would put the hack to make it region free.

As for the copyright law, we can tape stuff off TV for "time shift" purposes i.e. to watch at another time. What we still aren't allowed to do is to keep shows in a library permanently.

I know of a couple of TV shows that only the first season was put out in a DVD season set here. They didn't sell well and so it was decided that they weren't going to sell the other seasons. So your best bet is to get them from overseas. As for downloading TV shows off the net, some sites have restrictions as they usually put them on the net after they have aired on TV. The restrictions apply to other countries due to, as already stated, censorship and copyright laws in other countries.

mckenzie5555

[6]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 6
    I am so with you guys - I mean what's the point in having an ipod, been connected with itunes and paying for your music and music videos. Why is it such a problem that we can't download tv shows?? - if we are willing to pay for it. So please forgive my ignorance, but what's the other way or what other site can you download the shows to your ipod??

LSyd

[7]Oct 11, 2007
    mckenzie5555 wrote:
    I am so with you guys - I mean what's the point in having an ipod, been connected with itunes and paying for your music and music videos. Why is it such a problem that we can't download tv shows?? - if we are willing to pay for it. So please forgive my ignorance, but what's the other way or what other site can you download the shows to your ipod??

iTunes isn't the only site which offers downloads for TV shows, some non-American networks offer at least some way to see their shows online. For instance, in Australia, ABC has downloads and streaming for some of its shows, and Bigpond has a few downloads which can be paid for.

One of the big reasons for American networks to avoid offering their shows to people in other countries is that they make quite a bit of money from foreign networks. If people overseas started downloading their shows, it would mean that they're worse off because the foreign networks wouldn't want to buy them (or would pay less). It isn't as much of an issue for other countries where the shows don't recieve as much airtime overseas.

I guess if you really wanted to, you could try buying the DVD, ripping it and converting the video files to the necessary formats, but in some countries (such as Australia) this goes against the copyright laws. Although maybe the networks do have a point that we shouldn't download the shows without their permission, I'm not happy about being forced pay for things a second time if I want them to work on a portable player which doesn't take DVDs, especially if the option to do so isn't widely available to begin with.

mtf61

[8]Oct 27, 2007
    • level: 2
    I have a question as I live in Australia can I not download say episodes of a show called numbers from the website at all. If it is not allow is there anyway that it can be dome. I am a member of tvdownload but am having trouble. doing so.

TheGermanGuy

[9]Nov 1, 2007

I am from germany and have rather the same problem.

here are my tips

1. use a us proxy to watch the episods via video on demand. most us channels offer that for free

2. use youtube or similar sites

3. if u want to have the episode on you pc use mirc or something like that

hm... so thats my way to keep in touch with the latest developments...

swiisiou

[11]Nov 22, 2007
    • level: 2

mckenzie5555 wrote:

When you download a TV/movie from the internet, just get a converter, that will enable you to watch it on you iPod or whatever Handheld device you use

BUT why would you want to watch it on a tiny screen, burn it to a DVD and watch it on your TV

KR1SP3

[12]Feb 5, 2008
    • level: 1
    hi good day everybody,could u just help me and tell me how to download tv shows from tv.com?i am very new to tv.com.i would appreciate it very much guys.thank you

Jonerd1990

[13]Apr 28, 2008
    KR1SP3 wrote:
    hi good day everybody,could u just help me and tell me how to download tv shows from tv.com?i am very new to tv.com.i would appreciate it very much guys.thank you

if you are looking for a site to download videos from, firstly get 'viloader' ( a quick google search will yeild you the site ) and use sites like youtube.com, jumptv.com (or tvjump.com, one of those i think :S) or tvshack.net and download from there. otherwise t0rrents might be your only option.

I will remind you though, that television shows are copyright material and sharing these without the permission of the author or copyright owner is ILLEGAL under international copyright laws.

LaidBack4Life

[17]Jul 7, 2009
    • level: 4
    TheGermanGuy wrote:

I am from germany and have rather the same problem.

here are my tips

1. use a us proxy to watch the episods via video on demand. most us channels offer that for free

2. use youtube or similar sites

3. if u want to have the episode on you pc use mirc or something like that

hm... so thats my way to keep in touch with the latest developments...

Isn't irc trackable ? Just like torrent ? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't irc p2p ?

Steve_Oz

[18]Nov 4, 2009
    Hi all,

I am new to the tv.com forums too :-)

I am also from Australia, what get's to me is the following:

Network TV not showing shows WE want to watch
    Media players that have built in Torrent downloaders :-)
    A season being stopped halfway through a season :-(
    Not being able to watch it via the US if the Australian network canceled it.
    TV Shows being illegal to download.

I think if studios embrace torrents and have say a 'window' of download availability would be great, like who wants to wait month or years for the show to be seen or have to order the DVD from the US to watch say 5 episodes.

I think TV will go the way of the internet, I for one hope Foxtel dies a quick death, to many adds and the cost is just stupid (check out Direct TV's deals to see)

I know I'd pay a 'fee' per month to studio's that offer their shows for download (premium price for 720p rips) then I could load up my media player and sit back and watch episodes as I want and when I want.

There is no way to stop piracy, so if the studios embraced it and worked with Torrent and the like I think more people would subscribe :-)

LSyd

[19]Nov 7, 2009
    Steve_Oz wrote:
    I am also from Australia, what get's to me is the following:

Network TV not showing shows WE want to watch
    Media players that have built in Torrent downloaders :-)
    A season being stopped halfway through a season :-(
    Not being able to watch it via the US if the Australian network canceled it.
    TV Shows being illegal to download.

I think if studios embrace torrents and have say a 'window' of download availability would be great, like who wants to wait month or years for the show to be seen or have to order the DVD from the US to watch say 5 episodes.

Hi Steve, welcome to TV.com!

The problem is that the studios don't want to embrace these new technologies. They (as well as various others, notably the music industry) are too dependent on the concept that their products are only distributed via the airwaves that we're not supposed to record for too long, or little pieces of plastic that their particular works are recorded on.

Steve_Oz wrote:
    I know I'd pay a 'fee' per month to studio's that offer their shows for download (premium price for 720p rips) then I could load up my media player and sit back and watch episodes as I want and when I want.

There is no way to stop piracy, so if the studios embraced it and worked with Torrent and the like I think more people would subscribe :-)

And you've just mentioned the problem - the studios don't want to embrace it because the previous system has been making them so much money. To change to something else, they have to find out a new way of making a profit. The most likely solution is to use more product placement, or have some way of inserting local advertising into the files downloaded in such a way. But why would they bother when they're making much more than they probably would otherwise by keeping things the way they are?

Piracy is at worst collateral damage, and at best, a nice cash cow since the companies get a very generous payout once they inevitably win the legal case, so why would they stop here?

Of course, it's not like the companies which have a huge stake in these things are particularly involved in the law-making process. Village Roadshow's donations to the ALP have absolutely nothing to do with the proposed changes on the ability of Aussies to use the internet. And Disney's donations and sway on certain US politicians has not resulted in the US's copyright period being extended to keep Mickey Mouse protected.

Steve_Oz

[20]Nov 23, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome :-)

They could charge for advertising in the shows ???

Also I meant to say I am happy to pay for downloads even after they've aired. As for the advertising, what about TiVo in the US, it records without adds (and when Engin was to bring it in, it was going to skip them too, but 7 got their hands on it)

I work a lot and don't have time to sit and watch TV but when I do, I'd like to have all the shows I want to watch and just enjoy them.

I'll NEVER again get Foxtel due to all the adds and I thought PAYING for TV you didn't get adds ($100 a month for TV with adds A JOKE look at Direct TV's list and prices and channels) Anyway, they now have 'catch up' on some stations websites, you can't download them but they should.

Double dipping and raping us as the consumer sucks.

Oh, and then they want to crack down on downloads, then get rid of software like Bit Torrents and devices that have it built in and so on, but they don't.

I don't on-sell anything (and I only get TV shows) I buy Blu-Rays or DVD's for movies, but I'll never go to a Cinema again.

Playstation/Xbox and the like killed video arcades, DVD/Home theatre killed Cinemas (well killing it) downloads will kill TV :-)