Forums: Downloading Television: Fox is making a big mistake!

Is 8 days too long to take to post new episodes online?

BeachfrontGlass

[1]Apr 23, 2008
    • level: 17
    I just went to stream the new episode of Bones from the Fox site and was surprised to see that they are not showing the new episodes untill 8 days after they are shown on tv! That is a very stupid idea in my mind. If you are going to put it off posting it online don't do it by more than a week. How are people supposed to catch up if they miss an episode? This is why I don't watch 24 on tv, dvd only. There is no way I am going to be home every week to watch a show. Fox is going to lose a lot of viewers to illegal downloads because of this. The only reason why I would watch online as opposed to downloading it is because it can take upwards of 3 days to download a new show. Streaming was just a lot faster. Now there is no reason to watch it online! Bad move Fox!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

GATZ1000

[2]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 39

Yeah its a bit to long to wait, 8 days really.

BeachfrontGlass

[3]Apr 24, 2008
    Now it's up and streaming! I don't know what was going on but now they don't have the 8 day delay! Maybe it was just a mistake on the website before, or maybe they realized that it was a bad idea.

LSyd

[4]Apr 24, 2008
    If you're not around to watch the shows when they're on TV the first time, why don't you record them? That's what most people have been doing for the last decade or two.

GATZ1000

[5]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 39
    I couldn't live without my DVR, its a godsend. Then I can watch them at my convenience without having to worry about missing a show or trying to find it online, which never works for me.

BeachfrontGlass

[6]Apr 25, 2008
    But a DVR only records 2 shows at a time max and I thought you had to pay a subscription fee every month for companies like Tivo... My local cable company doesn't give out dvrs without digital cable and god knows I'm not going to shell out 90 bucks a month for cable.

On Best Buy's website they only seem to sell Direct TV DVRS and Tivo systems... If there are other alternative please let me know!

LSyd

[7]Apr 25, 2008
    Wow, I had no idea about how bad the selection was in the US.

The US market unfortunately doesn't seem to have them yet, but here in Australia there are DVD recorders which have a built-in hard drive. Then again, Tivo isn't available here yet, so there's a bigger demand for them. Apart from some of the search functions, they mostly do the same things as a Tivo because the TV guide signal comes with the digital broadcast and theoretically any digital box can pick it up. There's no subscription fee for these things.

One problem is that they don't work well with cable because you have to manually change the channel on the cable box. If you're thinking ahead you can set the cable box to auto-tune between the shows you want to record, but you can only do that up to a week in advance (which means that you can't record everything if you're going on holidays or something), so it's probably easier to just get the second DVR which is designed for cable as well.

In case you were wondering, we have -this one-, which works perfectly fine (except, as you may guess, that it can't record multiple shows at once, but we just have to live with that).

BeachfrontGlass

[8]Apr 25, 2008
    Illegal dls work really well. lol