Forums: Drama: Detective/Cop Shows

tamtamlyn18

[1]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 2
    Doesn't anyone think there are way too many Cop/Detective shows.  There is CSI, LAW AND ORDER, CRIMINAL MINDS, NCIS....anyway I won't name them all but everyone knows there are more than that.  They just seem boring and all the same to me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gummiebear23

[2]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 4
    there are getting to be to many cop like shows and they all are pretty much the same thing it seems that most of the time if tey have a hit show they just keep repeating the same show they just sort of change the name

danbambridge

[3]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 89
    I know it seems like alot but you don't have to watch them all and most shows have something different about them to make you want to watch them anyway.

viking99g

[4]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 6
    I think the reason there are so many cop shows is that it allows the writer to put the characters into almost ANY situation imaginable from a government conspiracy, to personal drama at home. It really allows for a significant amount of variety when considering what is possible for the writers.

DungeonDragon18

[5]Feb 22, 2007
    • level: 10
    well, people like cop shows, so thats what the networks give us. But after a while there gets to be so many of them, that we only watch the really standout ones, like L&O and CSI, and ignore the mediocre ones like Evidence and Killer Instinct. It happens with every popular genre, sooner or later; a few shows are hits, soon the market is flooded with cheap knockoffs, and then we lose intrest in the genre all together.

LAW-ORDER

[6]Feb 23, 2007
    • level: 8
    L&O and SVU are the best, CSI is overrated, the end.

seinfeld111690

[7]Feb 24, 2007
    • level: 25
    I only watch 24

dalilone

[8]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 29
    1. i love that you've mentioned NCIS, it hardly gets a mention in these question type things. and i LOVE detective/cop shows! my favourite is NCIS, but i also watch the L&Os, CSIs, Criminal Minds, Numb3rs, and to a certain extent, you could consider Veronica Mars in there too i guess.

RyanRoxx

[9]Feb 27, 2007
    • level: 8
    yeah there is but the best one is NCIS

taper6

[10]Feb 27, 2007
    • level: 7
    tamtamlyn18 wrote:
    Doesn't anyone think there are way too many Cop/Detective shows. There is CSI, LAW AND ORDER, CRIMINAL MINDS, NCIS....anyway I won't name them all but everyone knows there are more than that. They just seem boring and all the same to me.

I think people like them because they have a STORY and end in 1 hour. I can tolerate 'serialized' shows (of any genre) that continue their plot the following week, but don't like them as well. And I've quit quite a few of that type cause the cliff-hanging finally irritates me enough to pull the plug. I certainly don't like ALL the cop shows. Too much family angst and I'll quit them. When they're JUST TOO hard to swallow I rebel. Anybody that can believe the gorgeous Spanish detective on Without a Trace? Eams on L&O CI looks like she could, maybe, take down a mean drunk. Most of them don't, and it bothers me. 'Profiling' always irritates me. It's a guessing game and you only hear about the successful ones. tv portrays it like it's a science. Fingerprints - they make 'em seem like all you gotta do is touch something and the cops can identify you. Obviously MANY surfaces don't retain prints. And if your skin happens to be very dry (not oily, you're not sweating) it'll be VERY hard to get a print. 20 something hep detectives make me quit a cop show almost immediately. I think it takes longer than that to get 'out of the bag'. But the Law&Orders seem to stick around, mostly. They're formula and Wolfe sticks rigidly to it. I'll watch them 2 or 3 times if I happen to be tuned to one and get started watching when I stop my vcr tape. And lastly they're better than most of the other clap trap they try to foist on us.

gon123

[11]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 4
    How about Day Break?? Nobady seems to like Day Break.... But CSI is always a classic Cop show, although it is a bit detached from the everyday action other cop shows demonstrate....

taper6

[12]Mar 1, 2007
    gon123 wrote:
    How about Day Break?? Nobady seems to like Day Break.... But CSI is always a classic Cop show, although it is a bit detached from the everyday action other cop shows demonstrate....

By rights, Day Break should be a SciFi more that a regular cop show. I watched pilot but got turned off. Can't really remember why, I do like some SciFi.

chrismart83

[13]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 9
    i only watch the shield, i think its great though.

daley2

[14]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 12
    LAW-ORDER wrote:

AMEN!!!!

kalsirsk

[15]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 18
    24 Rules

Lampard_13

[16]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 6
    tamtamlyn18 wrote:
    Doesn't anyone think there are way too many Cop/Detective shows.  There is CSI, LAW AND ORDER, CRIMINAL MINDS, NCIS....anyway I won't name them all but everyone knows there are more than that.  They just seem boring and all the same to me.

They're not... most of them are really good.

ycdeo

[17]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 2
    No, u should not watch detective shows either. They may be harmful.

kimmydimmy

[18]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 3

daley2 wrote:
    LAW-ORDER wrote:
    AMEN!!!!
    I agree completely! I used to like CSI & CSI MIAMI but went off them when they went down the turgid romance route. Always an indication that a show has run out of ideas.

Used to love NCIS (particularly 'cause it had the lovely David McCallum in it. Can't watch it now, Lauren Holly (Jenny Shepherd) has ruined it completely. Pointless story lines were being crow-barred in just to work her into each episode. The show would be much better without her. Preferred seasons 1&2 when the Director was rarely seen. (although I wouldn't have minded seeing a little more of Alan Dale in the Show.)

Don't you think Admiral Chegwidden would have made a much more interesting Director, He could have had some great arguments with Gibbs.

dina4

[19]Apr 2, 2007
    me too think they are so many but its just like that the crimes today is so many

xplush86x

[20]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 12

Nobody mentioned The Shield. You get your cop fix and detective portion too. SVU is up there for me too!