Forums: Drama: How do TV dramas effect teenagers

caravanman1

[1]Dec 10, 2008
    • level: 1

This is your chance to say how you feel about how TV dramas are effecting teens.

Thank You

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

taper6

[2]Dec 10, 2008
    • level: 7
    I haven't the faintest idea.

creamylemon

[3]Dec 10, 2008
    • level: 11
    it shows that if there favorite show has drama then they can create there own

Genzie

[4]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 12
    I am a teenager and I can say drama shows do infect me. Some shows even help me to get throught hard days. Ofcourse I am not depressed or anything but If I feel unhappy and I think about The gilmore Girls, I am happy directly. Same with other shows. They do help me.

mccar29

[5]Dec 20, 2008
    • level: 36
    As the parent of a soon-to-be teen, I am turned off my the number of dramas that show to much sexual content. Whenever, I have a show on and the characters start heavy petting (or worse) I turn it off. And shows that have a lot of violence, I won't even record anymore. The more common place sex and violence appears, the easier it is for young people to think it's acceptable. That's my view anyway.

GiX_MiX

[6]Dec 27, 2008
    • level: 26
    well im addicted to them so i dont think they have a positive effect on me... all i think about is TV and i cant stop! ok, all i think about is house

Woolsey

[7]Dec 28, 2008
    • level: 51

Watching TV makes us happy and content, so to stay that way, we copy (or in my case, quote) what we see to bring those feelings back. I think it applies to everyone, not just teens.

kdtfiles

[8]Dec 29, 2008
    • level: 23
    When I was a teen I liked the teen dramas, it was nice to have characters on TV I could relate to at the time, but I did see them for what they were - TV shows, nothing more. I find now I am more obsesed with shows than I was at that age.

wasd_playtiva

[9]Dec 30, 2008
    • level: 2
    I think dramas exaggerate teen's real life dramas (school...etc) which in turns influences them to treat each little issue with more dramatic responses...causing MORE drama in their real lives than before.

i used to like them as a teen...but now it just bores me.

nrvanagrl

[10]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 1

mccar29 wrote:
    As the parent of a soon-to-be teen, I am turned off my the number of dramas that show to much sexual content. Whenever, I have a show on and the characters start heavy petting (or worse) I turn it off. And shows that have a lot of violence, I won't even record anymore. The more common place sex and violence appears, the easier it is for young people to think it's acceptable. That's my view anyway.

Guess what? Teens are involved in heavy petting. With or without teen dramas. At least sometimes there are positive messages on the programs.

hawksie

[11]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 9
    mccar29 wrote:

Hiding the world from your kid never turns out well.. Parenting 101.

XooKey

[12]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 17
    I think that sheltering them from the world and what goes on outside in it is not good for them. They will not be prepared when a real life situation pops up. As a parent of 3 who all watched TV dramas if they wanted to, they have come out fine. TV Dramas do not effect teenagers in my eyes, lack of parenting does. Be there when they are watching TV let them know what is right, what is wrong, and what is make believe.

kimtv88

[13]May 8, 2009
    • level: 4

I don't think TV dramas effect teenagers in a negative way. As long as the kid knows the difference between reality and fantasy they should know that life isn't always like what is shwon on The O.C. etc

I think in a way some issues that are dealt with in TV dramas might help teenagers face their own problems. Like for example in the Australian TV drama 'Neighbours' there was a few years ago a storyline about a young 17 year old girl who had unsafe sex and she later found out that she may have HIV/AIDS. She went to get tested and luckily the test came back negative. In this way the show is showing the ramifications of unsafe sex to young people so they'll think twice about it.

In the same show there is currently a storyline where a teen couple is expecting a baby. The couple has had so many ups and downs. For example the girl (Bridget) at first wasn't sure if she wanted the baby or not. The boy (Declan) found the situation hard to accept at first as well because the couple is only 16 years old. Bridget and Declan also had financial trouble. They didn't know if they were going to be able to provide their baby with enerything it needed. The show is showing how hard it is for teen parents and all the challenges they have to face so I think teens who see this may think 'hey Declan and Bridget are having a tough time because they are so young and they rushed into a physical relationship. Maybe i'll wait till i'm older so I have more experience'. It's a much better portrayal of teen pregnancy than a happy teen couple who has no issues.

drdan2410

[14]May 11, 2009
    • level: 52
    Not being a teenager I have no clue!