Forums: Drama: Need a drama series (preferably crime drama) to get hooked on!

kunalkhilnani

[1]Dec 14, 2012
    • level: 1

I've watched Dexter, Prison Break, Sherlock, Breaking Bad, Damages, Lost, 24, Burn Notice and some others I can't remember. Tell me some shows in the same mould. Don't want any serials like Castle, Bones, Elementary, Crim minds, want something I can get hooked on, not the different crime every episode thing.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rarner

[2]Dec 16, 2012

I've also watched Breaking Bad, Dexter, Prison Break and Lost. Other shows I'd recommend based on these selections would beSons of Anarchy, Homeland, The Walking Dead, Spartacus, Boardwalk Empire, Boss, Justified, Nip Tuck, Awake. In that order. I've also heard that Luther is very good

Gislef

[3]Dec 19, 2012
    • level: 101
    Person of Interest does both. It has a different crime most weeks, but there are also several running serial arcs.

blackmage8472

[4]Dec 22, 2012
    • level: 15

kunalkhilnani wrote:

I've watched Dexter, Prison Break, Sherlock, Breaking Bad, Damages, Lost, 24, Burn Notice and some others I can't remember. Tell me some shows in the same mould. Don't want any serials like Castle, Bones, Elementary, Crim minds, want something I can get hooked on, not the different crime every episode thing.

A solid majority of crime dramas are going to be serials and you may like Elementary. Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu make a good team and play good versions of Holmes and Watson. However if you want a few suggestions:

1. Person of Interest. Like Gislef said it is mostly a serial, however there are plenty of mysteries and new additions that make it fun to watch. Add to that it's different than most crime drama since the idea is to prevent a crime. One more thing, it stars Lost alum Michael Emerson as mysterious billionaire computer savant.

2. Grimm. If you don't mind a fantasy addition to a crime drama, I highly suggest this show. Again serial style but there is acontinuousbackstory.

3. White Collar. It's on USA so it has shorter seasons and thus little time to get off track. Each season has a main focus.

4. Warehouse 13. NOT a crime drama however if you like sci-fi it'd be up your alley. It has the action/adventure mystery of a crime drama and each season has it's own main storyline.

dogfood_uk

[5]Dec 24, 2012
    • level: 6

The Killing (Swedish or American) is fantastic and well worth watching. Will keep you gripped.

brag0031

[6]Dec 29, 2012
    • level: 2
    Anyone know when The Killing (U.S.) Season 2 is being released on DVD?

matthewgiven3

[7]Jan 3, 2013
    • level: 4

kunalkhilnani wrote:

Castle isn't really a serial,you can really watch the episodes in whatever order you want. One or two episodes a year deal with the cold case of Beckett's mother's murder but other then that there really isn't any on going plot thread. I would say 95% of the episodes stand completely alone and there is very little angst compared to a lot of shows out there. I am only pointing this out because I think you have the wrong idea about Castle and given that you listed 25 and Burn Notice(two shows I love)I think you would enjoy it. Well that and the fact I am having a hard time thinking of any modern crime show that doesn't have a serial format,really Castle is the only one i can think of that stays mostly free of the format off of the top of my head.

If you want to go old school check out some of the old 1950s episodes of dragnet,they are in the public domain and can be downloaded off of the internet. it was a ground breaking show at the time it came out and most of the cases have aged pretty well. Also it was pretty hard hitting. It's hard to believe at the same time that Lucy wasn't allowed to use the word pregnant on the air Dragnet was able to deal with subjects like kidnapping and child rape.

Another old school series is The Rockford Files. it's not serial at all and the cases will keep you guessing,plus it is a really fun show. It is one of the best if you ask me.

cagauci

[8]Jan 27, 2013

kunalkhilnani wrote:

Ok so since you liked those shows you are definitely going to like these crime dramas:

1. The Wire - Baltimore drug scene. You will get hooked hard..

2. Oz - if you liked Prison Break you are going to think its for babiesafter you watch Oz.

3. Boardwalk Empire - Prohibition era. awesome show.

4. Rescue Me - New York City Firefighters. Denis Leary is so great in this show.

5. Suits - If you liked Damages you will love suits. Harvey Specter is the frickin MAN!

6. The Sopranos - so awesome. most addicting show you will ever watch. you will love each character. so good.

7. Sons of Anarchy - biker gang in Charming, CA. they kick ass.

8.Justified - Shoot first. Ask Later

That should hold you over for a while

Edited on 01/27/2013 4:56am

JoyTheWizard

[9]Jan 27, 2013

I love Suits and Oz. Oz was on HBO and Suits is on USA (like White Collar). If you've ever seen Law and Order (all of them) you will notice a lot of the same actors.

Christopher Meloni (Stabler), Dean Winters (Allstate guy and L&O:SVU season 1 as Cassidy), B.D. Wong (Agent Huang), etc.

Oz is about a maximum security prison and the inmates in the prison. One of the units is called "Emerald City" like from Wizard of Oz. There are prison gangs, guards, etc.

Suits is about a guy named Mike and he gets a job working at a prestigious law firm. It's not really a different thing every episode, as some of the ideas mentioned in previous episodes are carried over. It's still worth giving a shot though.

You didn't mention anything about Medical Dramas, but I'm gonna suggest House. House is about a really smart, arrogant doctor. Each episode he tries to diagnose a person's illness. I didn't like the idea of it at first, but I grew to like the characters very much. I think House is really that kind of show that everyone likes.

Edited on 01/27/2013 11:50am

anIterImpius

[10]Jan 31, 2013
    • level: 2
    I personally think that you can't go wrong with Homeland, it has the action and the good acting going. And I agree with the other users, you should check out Person of Interest. The following looks interesting, but it's only on it's 2nd episode, but Kevin Bacon is really cool as well as the one that plays Joe and the soundtrack is awesome. More than Drama it's more Horror and mystery.

susieq1969

[11]Mar 18, 2013
    • level: 4
    The Following

daniellecio

[12]Jun 4, 2013

Southland is a good crime drama!