Forums: Drama: TV movie: single-handed yacht race sailor discovers female stowaway on board

Lez

[1]Jun 27, 2012
    • level: 1

Hi. I'm trying to find the name of a movie I saw on TV (I think it was a made-for-TV movie) in the early '70's about a guy competing in a long-distance single-handed yacht race who discovers he has a female stowaway on board. He is naturally furious at her presence because it automatically disqualifies him from the race. For much of the film they have a very acrimonious relationship with raging arguments etc., however by the end of the story they have fallen in love (surprise!). Although the sailor is technically disqualified he continues to race and I think he "wins" despite taking time out to anchor in a harbour overnight for a romantic interlude mid-race. A scene that sticks in my mind is when they are having an argument and she tells him he thinks he is God's gift to women because he is handsome and has $30,000 in the bank.

In many ways this story is similar to the novel "Sea Fever" by Anthony Trew, however I haven't learned of a film being made of this book. In any case, "Sea Fever" was published after this film was made but I reason that the film script could have been made into a book.

Hope someone can help me on this. I guess it was only a "B" movie but it has got stuck in my mind. I went so far as to look up back-years of TV scheduling but did not find it listed.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.