User Blogs

Hi all,

As we improve TV.com we are focusing our engineering efforts on the features you are using the most. Because user profile blogging is a feature that gets very low usage we will be shutting it down over the next month. We are in the early stages of planning new profile pages and we're excited to share more with you soon.

Next week, posting and commenting will be disabled on user blogs. A downloadable file of all your blogs and blog comments will be available at a later date. The following messaging will be added to the top of all user blogs:

We will update you all with more specific dates soon. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Edlyn (etong87)

Posted by etong87 07/09/2012 10:31am comments: 112

Comments

Type your comment below

• I have lots of things to ask. First, is etong87 evasive. She just ignores all of the complaints and still thanks it. Is that weird? Second, if this is for the ads, well, ads are needed. But don't replace the blog for that. Replace something else. Not by that. Third, if CBS is doing this, they should look out for the users. Or if all of you is planning for this, you should also look for the users, and you should do your responsibility as an admin. For me, you're not even doing your responsibilities that much on this matter! That's the responsibility of the mods, they analyze the situation very well and they will plan their move afterwards! I don't see you all having a talk about the details and events that will happen about this problem! For the last time, I am officially out.

• "On the boards tab in user preferences you have the option of setting sort order for both topics and messages."> I have it set for Topics (newest) and Messages (oldest). However, the news pages display messages (newest). I'd assume community announcement blogs would be consistent with that, not forums.

• This is a forum board, not one of the news pages (the breakdown at the top of this page says, "Forum: Community Announcements: Update"). If you want the messages to display newest first, you have to set it that way.

• @sesho2022 Yes, the blogs will be gone. We're developing fun, new features where users can engage with one another, so the social aspect of TV.com will not be lost.

• @DreadAngelus We want to be as transparent as possible to our users. We are not getting rid of blogs for ads. To reiterate, we have decided to get rid of our blogs since they are very, very rarely used, and we are going to introduce some cool new, interactive features soon. Please PM me if you have any questions.

• It's not blogging, but any chance of getting... Chatting? Real chatting, not this weird hodgepodge (see above about patchwork coding) maybe-it'll-work-maybe-it-won't we get on the occasions when TV.com hosts a chat. If you folks want to emulate facebook and twitter, the interactive features have to be as smooth as theirs are.

• I am excited to hear that there are new and exciting things coming up focused on the features I use daily. Everything development can do to improve the functionality of the database interface is OK by me!

• RARELY USED!? Do you not hear us? Most of your site's population only comes on to blog and read/comment on others'!

• @TheOldBill - Great to hear! We are excited to share what we have in store!

• "focused on the features I use daily" I think you have etong's "you" in the aggregate confused with "you" in the individual. ;) If anything, I suspect that these days the # of users who interface with the database is even less than the # who read/write blogs. And the database certainly takes more focus from Engineering than blogs.

• Welp this stinks. It really does.

• I love the hypocrisy... We don't really use our blogs, but we're still upset to have them taken away, in replacement of newer features... Come on guys.

• The majority of people here are saying they do use their blogs, or use other people's blogs.

• @aladros23 Actually a lot of these people I know use a lot this feature (tigerdude22, DreadAngelus, futuramarama, etc.).

• One comment earlier revolved around chats. We used to have organized chats back in the day. Heck, we even had special emblems for those that participated in them. Why can't we have those again?

• If you want to get rid of something that is rarely used and takes (and still takes) staff focus, what about the photo galleries? Big Bang Theory, 24 publicity photos, no comments. 571 episode gallery photos, no comments. Another popular show, 30 publicity photos, one comment saying the photo was a fake. Another popular show, 23 publicity photos, three total words of comment. Cool - Cute - Cool.

Merlin is your #1 popular show. 131 publicity photos. One comment, and that's just to caption a photo without a caption.

TV.com doesn't seem to want to define what "rarely" means, blog-usage-wise. But 1/131, or .72% usage, seems to qualify as rare. And presumably someone has to focus on putting in the photos, attaching captions, and so on.

• @aldaros23 - Every time a "new" feature is added to "excite" the members here, it breaks or, in this case, does away with an existing feature that does work. Do I want a bunch of cutesy quizzes/polls asking what new fall show I'm looking forward to on MY homepage or something similar? No....if blogs get expunged based on low usage, what needs to stay ultimately? Not much....

• This is just ridiculous and lame. I've had to say goodbye to some of my really good longtime friends here. Most are leaving because Blogs aren't here to connect us to our friends. I honestly cannot believe this site has removed a much loved and fun feature such as blogs. Blogs are one of the only reasons profiles were so used. Without them, who gives one cent about their profiles? Like someone else suggested. The least you could have done was make a poll on this.

• everyone is or should be excited for the new things, but do blogs really have to go?

• What kind of "improvement" is this? Taking away a feature that most people rely on to even return to this site everyday? This is ridiculous.

TOTAL SUBMISSIONS

by tv.com members

community helpers

these users are here to help