Forums: Gameshows: Why do new game shows premiere during Christmas week?

Antique22

[1]Dec 10, 2011
    • level: 11

Every year I have been noticing that new game shows always debut for Christmas and I would like to know why game shows always debut during Christmas? Is it because the networks know that game shows will make huge money for the holidays or is it a way for the networks to sell merchandise in the New Year? Take for instance last Christmas FOX debuted the show Million Dollar Money Drop and it got cancelled in January after three episodes and ABC debuted the game show Show Me The Money also during Christmas too. NBC also jumped on the holiday game show bandwagon by debuting Deal Or No Deal December 19th of 2005 and after the success of Deal Or No Deal NBC launched 1 Vs 100 in 2006 and in Christmas 2007 NBC launched Identity and now the new game show for NBC this year is Who's Still Standingwhich starts next week on December 19th {The exact same date Deal Or No Deal began} and while I think this is a very smart idea I think the networks are gonna start airing game shows on Christmas Week very much like the stores release music cds and movies on Tuesdays. The only show that NBC didn't start on Christmas that I can name is Minute To Win It and it started in March,

When did holiday game shows become a huge fad?,

Tiki

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.