TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: General TV Discussion: Did Boy Meets World Jump the Shark?

keith1990

[1]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 7

Does anyone think Boy Meets World ever Jumped the Shark?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sarah10106

[2]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 16
    Sorry I dont quite get what you mean, Could you explain... Sorry.

keith1990

[3]Jul 12, 2006

Oh ya sure, It's hard for me to explain it but I have a book entitled "Jump the Shark" and there is a website. The book is discribed like this:

"IT'S THAT MOMENT you know then your favorite show has lost its magic, beginning the long, painful slide to the TV graveyard"

they go on to say:

"YOU KNOW WHEN YOU SEE IT. It's the moment on your favorite TV show when a new charater is introduced, the romantic leads share their passionate embrace, or the whole gang takes a trip to Tahiti. In that moment you know your favorite show has lost its magic, has begun the long, painful slide to the TV graveyard."

Mad_Buck

[4]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 79
    Day One iyam.

WWEWhoseLine48

[5]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 13
    Yes, it did. At least for me, it happened when they started to "mature." When that happened, (season 4, I believe) it lost its essence. It turned from a comedy, straight to something dramatic. I felt like everytime I watched it, they were playing something else "overdramatically," and I lost touch of the show. Them skipping grades also didn't help.

There are many examples I can name, that hurt the show, including the marriage, Topanga turning normal, Feeny somehow being teacher for all of their grades, and it just goes on and on.

jekyll

[6]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 86
    WWEWhoseLine48 wrote:
    Yes, it did. At least for me, it happened when they started to "mature." When that happened, (season 4, I believe) it lost its essence. It turned from a comedy, straight to something dramatic. I felt like everytime I watched it, they were playing something else "overdramatically," and I lost touch of the show.
    And that's most shows revolving around teens. Some avoid the fate and do well after high school, but for most it's the start of the downward spiral.

Ruthin4Eva

[7]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 5
    I don't think it jumped the shark till Cory and Topanga's honeymoon. Once they got married, I thought the show should of ended.

tvfanatic91

[8]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 44
    I did not like Cory getting all whiney in the end of the show. But for some reeason I liked the show as it went on the last ones were not my favorite as I liked alot of season 4 but I enjoyed the last couple of seasons as well as the first couple so I have to say no I don't think it Jumped the shark.

tvfanatic91

[9]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 44
    I did not like Cory getting all whiney in the end of the show. But for some reeason I liked the show as it went on the last ones were not my favorite as I liked alot of season 4 but I enjoyed the last couple of seasons as well as the first couple so I have to say no I don't think it Jumped the shark.

sipowicz

[10]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 32
    it did when every episode turned into a 'special episode' it just got to be too much for me, somewhere around season 4.

archangelcory16

[11]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 32
    No, because the show simply matured with it's audience, it didn't WANT to remain the same show. It wanted the characters to grow older with it's initial audience of preteens and that's who it looked to entertain throughout its run.

I'm not a huge Boy Meets World fan any more but I think its changes were smart.

JTStarkiller

[12]Jul 12, 2006
    I've never watched Boy Meets World, but I thought "Jump the Shark" meant something entirely different. I thought it meant when a show does something out of the ordinary because it's lost steam doing what it regularly does.

Like if Smallville introduces the Superman suit, which they said they'd never do.
    Edited on 07/12/2006 7:06pm

Scandal2000

[13]Jul 12, 2006
    Yes it did. The last two seasons were terrible and it was very unrealistic that Mr.Feeny was everywhere the kids were. Plus they made the Eric character way too stupid. He was naive in the early years but got worse and worse. There comes a point where it gets ridiculous.

JTStarkiller

[14]Jul 12, 2006
    Hmm. Maybe not. I just looked it up in the dictionary, and it means exactly what you all said. I either dreamt that, or maybe it's an alternative definition.

keith1990

[15]Jul 12, 2006

I'm going to have to disagree with most of you. I mean, I didn't like the first 3 1/2 seasons all that much. I like seasons 4-7 the most. I loved it when they're older. I know when you look at the first season then watch the seventh season they seem like totally different shows. I usually hate that when that happens (*caugh* Roseanne, Cosby Show *caugh*), but in Boy Meets World's case it had to. When you look at our lives when we were in 6th grade, We had totally different friends, interests, and hangouts than when we're in high school and college. I feel they had to skip grades becasue I think people would have gotton very board.  I'm glad we got to see it end the way it did. Mr. Feeny being their teacher all way through school is one of those sitcom classics. People got mad when Mr. Turner disappeared, but come on people....When you move onto grades you forget about the lasts years teachers. Also, at first I wasn't very happy when Eric got dumber and dumber but it added to the show so much.

I love how in the first sew seasons Cory's issues are his parents and school. Then as he moves to Jr. High his problems are still his parents and teachers but now peer pressure and girls. So his family is still a major part in the equasion. Then in high school his parents are not as much in the picture and girls and friends pretty much take over, although school is still there. Then as they move into college, college life takes over with frends and living arragements. Notice how the parents are now just a side note as is most college kids and newlyweds.

With all this said I don't think Boy Meets World jumped the shark. We got to see this young boy grow into a man through his eyes and the eyes of his friends.  

joe_gdr

[16]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 2

This is going off on a complete tangent, but I just wanted to say that I can't stand the show's theme music from early in the series. It's annoying! What, did Barnum and Bailey executive produce the show or something?

-Joe

lastchancexi

[17]Jul 13, 2006
    • level: 4
    The last season, I thought, was a bit weaker overall than previous ones. The show definitely became more dramatic, but I think that's a part of the cast. The cast changes are certainly unexplained (eric becoming idiotic, cory becoming whiny, etc), but overall, I think the show was still good at the end, and if it did jump the shark, it wasn't as painful as some of the other TV shows that have clearly jumped the shark (simpsons, charmed, etc)

keith1990

[18]Jul 13, 2006
    joe_gdr wrote:

This is going off on a complete tangent, but I just wanted to say that I can't stand the show's theme music from early in the series. It's annoying! What, did Barnum and Bailey executive produce the show or something?

-Joe

I agree.....I hate all of Boy Meets World's theme songs.

InvaderRik

[19]Jul 15, 2006

I say it jumped when Eric became unbelievably stupid, his early occasional boneheadedness was tolerable, but when he became pure comic relief it was all over.

Magicalboy

[20]Jul 17, 2006
    • level: 28
    Seasons 1-4 are my favoriteesm but seasons 5-7 are pretty weak IMO