Forums: General TV Discussion: Did Boy Meets World Jump the Shark?

Ergy123

[21]Jul 21, 2006
    • level: 1
    I thought the show was really well put togther with teh different themes and stories they included in each season, the path they took for each characters as well as the new characters introduced i thought was smart. The whole cast balanced each other but sitll showed how each character has his/her respective social cycle that they hung out with with there own problems as well as problems that came with different grades, college, or serious relatiionships. , i jus find it a shame that its takin them so long to tranfer the entire series onto dvd
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SMGslayer97

[22]Jul 22, 2006
    • level: 34
    keith1990 wrote:

I'm going to have to disagree with most of you. I mean, I didn't like the first 3 1/2 seasons all that much. I like seasons 4-7 the most.

Agreed, I think the show actually improved as the years went by. Although the last season was a bit "lame", as many last seasons of half hour tv shows can be, I still enjoyed it. Especially, more then when they were so young in the first 3 seasons.

Hungry_Homer111

[23]Jul 24, 2006
    • level: 26

There were several "jump the shark" moments in the series. One of them is when Topanga became normal. Then there was when Jack was introduced (I mean, come on! Suddenly we learn about Sean's half brother after all those seasons?). There was when Cory and Topanga got married.

I do see how a lot of people didn't like the later seasons. However, I think that a lot of the changes were necessary (Except for Jack. He was a good character, and did add some stuff to the show, but he was not really needed.), because changes like those do happen in real life. A lot of times, the strange kids grow up and become normal (like Topanga). If they did end the series with Cory and Topanga getting married, it would have been like saying "And they all lived happily ever after, and continued to be friends forever," and that's not usually how it turns out in real life. Friends leave, like what happened in the final episode when everybody went to different places, and they may stay in touch with each other, they don't see each other every day like they did when they were kids. I do think that the last season was the weakest, but it was not that bad, and in a way, it was necessary.

archangelcory16

[24]Jul 24, 2006
    • level: 32
    Hungry_Homer111 wrote:

There were several "jump the shark" moments in the series. One of them is when Topanga became normal. Then there was when Jack was introduced (I mean, come on! Suddenly we learn about Sean's half brother after all those seasons?). There was when Cory and Topanga got married.

I do see how a lot of people didn't like the later seasons. However, I think that a lot of the changes were necessary (Except for Jack. He was a good character, and did add some stuff to the show, but he was not really needed.), because changes like those do happen in real life. A lot of times, the strange kids grow up and become normal (like Topanga). If they did end the series with Cory and Topanga getting married, it would have been like saying "And they all lived happily ever after, and continued to be friends forever," and that's not usually how it turns out in real life. Friends leave, like what happened in the final episode when everybody went to different places, and they may stay in touch with each other, they don't see each other every day like they did when they were kids. I do think that the last season was the weakest, but it was not that bad, and in a way, it was necessary.

I liked Jack and thought he was an interesting addition.

Hungry_Homer111

[25]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 26
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Hungry_Homer111 wrote:

I liked Jack and thought he was an interesting addition.

I liked Jack too. But he was definitely a "jump the shark" character.

JustinRAn

[26]Dec 15, 2010
    • level: 12
    Between 3-4 Things

- New Baby Josh/ Dropping the Morgan Character
    - Eric Seeming to act like he Needed a Helmet
    - Shawn's Personal Life Being a Soap Opera (Breaking Up with Angela, Poetry, Father Dying, Mother Dying)
    - Show Going from Funny/Serious to Just Serious

I think most of the College Episodes were Just Dark and Bad, Save for Eric of Course

KatherineRich

[27]Sep 23, 2012
    • level: 3

I think is when they made Eric stupid, although the skipping of grades was a bit hinky.