Forums: General TV Discussion: Fancast, a new legal online TV source

123home123

[1]Jan 7, 2008
    • level: 56
    Fancast is a new website from Comcast, the large U.S. cable company. It includes TV listings, but more importantly it offers episodes from over 100 different TV shows online, available as free streaming videos. The episodes include limited commercial breaks, however.

The line-up includes episodes from many popular current shows like The Office, CSI, Monk, Numb3rs, Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, and 24. It also includes many older shows like WKRP in Cincinnati, The Pretender, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Miami Vice, Remington Steele, Emergency!, and much more.

Many of the shows may only have 1 or 2 episodes available at this time, but more episodes may be added as the site develops. It is still in the beta phase at this time.

AOL already has a similar service called In2TV. The line-ups of shows are different, so the services are complementary. The competition will be good because Comcast and AOL may try to find more old TV gems. (Unfortunately I don't see Vengeance Unlimited on either of the sites, a true guilty pleasure for me several years ago.)

Fancast - Full Episodes

[Edited link]
    Edited on 01/08/2008 7:00am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TelFan7

[2]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 6

123home123 wrote:
    Fancast is a new website from Comcast, the large U.S. cable company. It includes TV listings, but more importantly it offers episodes from over 100 different TV shows online, available as free streaming videos. The episodes include limited commercial breaks, however. The line-up includes episodes from many popular current shows like The Office, CSI, Monk, Numb3rs, Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, and 24. It also includes many older shows like WKRP in Cincinnati, The Pretender, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Miami Vice, Remington Steele, Emergency!, and much more. Many of the shows may only have 1 or 2 episodes available at this time, but more episodes may be added as the site develops. It is still in the beta phase at this time. AOL already has a similar service called In2TV. The line-ups of shows are different, so the services are complementary. The competition will be good because Comcast and AOL may try to find more old TV gems. (Unfortunately I don't see Vengeance Unlimited on either of the sites, a true guilty pleasure for me several years ago.) Fancast - Full Episodes

Thank you, but your link doesn't work. Try mine instead. It works.

TelFan7

[3]Jan 8, 2008
    This is very similar to this.

Mac-Ale

[4]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 60
    TelFan7 wrote:

123home123 wrote:
    Fancast is a new website from Comcast, the large U.S. cable company. It includes TV listings, but more importantly it offers episodes from over 100 different TV shows online, available as free streaming videos. The episodes include limited commercial breaks, however. The line-up includes episodes from many popular current shows like The Office, CSI, Monk, Numb3rs, Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, and 24. It also includes many older shows like WKRP in Cincinnati, The Pretender, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Miami Vice, Remington Steele, Emergency!, and much more. Many of the shows may only have 1 or 2 episodes available at this time, but more episodes may be added as the site develops. It is still in the beta phase at this time. AOL already has a similar service called In2TV. The line-ups of shows are different, so the services are complementary. The competition will be good because Comcast and AOL may try to find more old TV gems. (Unfortunately I don't see Vengeance Unlimited on either of the sites, a true guilty pleasure for me several years ago.) Fancast - Full Episodes

Thank you, but your link doesn't work. Try mine instead. It works.

Huh? The link works fine. You haven't provided any link.

Anyways, cool...32 episodes of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", outstanding!

123home123

[5]Jan 8, 2008
    He added the link to the final period of the sentence. That's not the best way to create a hyperlink. Anyway, all of the links on this thread seem to work.

In case other people can't access the site, paste the following URL into your browser:

http://www.fancast.com/full_episodes

Mac-Ale

[6]Jan 8, 2008
    I can't remember ever seeing anyone using a punctuation mark of a sentence as a link before.

Anyways, the episodes load easily and look pretty good. I wonder if TV.com will start to incorporate more of these features soon, more and more public domain episodes are finding their way onto the internet as well. The few ads aren't that distracting.

TelFan7

[7]Jan 8, 2008

123home123 wrote:
    He added the link to the final period of the sentence. That's not the best way to create a hyperlink. Anyway, all of the links on this thread seem to work. In case other people can't access the site, paste the following URL into your browser: http://www.fancast.com/full_episodes

Your link "Fancast - Full Episodes" (GINO) only works from my quote of you, it doesn't work from your own!!

TelFan7

[8]Jan 8, 2008

Mac-Ale wrote:
    I can't remember ever seeing anyone using a punctuation mark of a sentence as a link before. Anyways, the episodes load easily and look pretty good. I wonder if TV.com will start to incorporate more of these features soon, more and more public domain episodes are finding their way onto the internet as well. The few ads aren't that distracting.

Once at one site I was able to make a link in blank screen space!! Also something was wrong with the site and even though I wasn't a mod or admin when I deleted a posting the whole thread got deleted even though I didn't start it. Computer glitch or cross something.

TelFan7

[9]Jan 8, 2008
    At Hulu which is similar to Fancast they only have one commercial every ten to fifteen minutes.

123home123

[10]Jan 8, 2008
    TelFan7 wrote:

123home123 wrote:
    He added the link to the final period of the sentence. That's not the best way to create a hyperlink. Anyway, all of the links on this thread seem to work. In case other people can't access the site, paste the following URL into your browser: http://www.fancast.com/full_episodes

Your link "Fancast - Full Episodes" only works from my quote of you, it doesn't work from your own!!

Then something may be wrong with your browser. I can click on that link and so can Mac-Ale. No need to turn this into a BSG debate either. That discussion can go on the Science-Fiction forum. Anyway, both BSG series are available on Fancast along with all the other shows.

On In2TV, you need to download a special player to watch the videos, or at least the HD versions. I don't think that's the case with Fancast.

Mac-Ale

[11]Jan 8, 2008
    No special player is needed at Fancast...I did notice that the episodes "expire" in April, maybe there will be rotating selections.

Finnegan77

[12]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 27
    Do these episodes include advertising? If so, this is one example of television shows going to the internet and other "electronic sources" without paying the writers, right? I'm sure Comcast didn't acquire the rights to air these episodes for free. Who thought the WGA was just making this stuff up? I am tempted to look (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea! Excellent!) but I think I'll refrain until the WGA strike is settled.

TelFan7

[13]Jan 8, 2008
    123home123 wrote:
    TelFan7 wrote:

123home123 wrote:

Your link "Fancast - Full Episodes" only works from my quote of you, it doesn't work from your own!!

Then something may be wrong with your browser. I can click on that link and so can Mac-Ale. No need to turn this into a BSG debate either. That discussion can go on the Science-Fiction forum. Anyway, both BSG series are available on Fancast along with all the other shows. On In2TV, you need to download a special player to watch the videos, or at least the HD versions. I don't think that's the case with Fancast.

It works now that've re-edited it!!!

123home123

[14]Jan 8, 2008
    Finnegan77 wrote:
    Do these episodes include advertising? If so, this is one example of television shows going to the internet and other "electronic sources" without paying the writers, right? I'm sure Comcast didn't acquire the rights to air these episodes for free. Who thought the WGA was just making this stuff up? I am tempted to look (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea! Excellent!) but I think I'll refrain until the WGA strike is settled.

Yes, the episodes contain advertising. It says so before you watch the episodes. I don't know if this will have any affect on the strike issues.

If anything, a strong showing of the revenue possibilities of sites like Fancast would strengthen the writers' claim that there can be significant and measurable revenues from legal streaming sites. I don't see why we shouldn't watch the episodes from the site, even if we back the writers.
    Edited on 01/08/2008 10:06pm

EJamison

[15]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 17
    You know, tv.com wouldn't have anyone coming to this site if we didn't contribute to guides and post messages. Someone is making money from our hard work. Why aren't we getting our share?

But the shows that are on fancast (or similar sites) have been produced under the old contracts so it doesn't matter what happens with the strike for any old shows.

gt0163c

[16]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 16
    EJamison wrote:
    But the shows that are on fancast (or similar sites) have been produced under the old contracts so it doesn't matter what happens with the strike for any old shows.

Actually, I don't think that's entirely correct. The strike issues of digital media and particularly streaming digital media are related to residuals. Residuals are the money that the writers (and actors and others but we'll use the term "writers" here to mean everyone) receive when their works are reshown. The residuals that the writers receive are based on when the show is shown/streamed/downloaded/etc rather than when the show is produced. Currently, the writers receive nothing in terms of residuals when their shows are streamed on the internet. However, depending upon the terms of the new contract, there is a good chance that the writers will receive residuals for shows produced prior to the contract effective date.

That said, it is up to each individual to determine if they are comfortable watching legally streaming media. For me, I am not. I do not believe that it is right for the companies to make money off the works of the writers while the writers receive nothing. And, as such, I will not watch any streaming media until the strike is resolved.

archangelcory16

[17]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 32
    Fancast's selection is almost identical to Hulu's. Although you have to receive an invitation for Hulu while it's in Beta. I signed up for Hulu and was sent an invitation just two days later so many you guys could try it. It's pretty cool.

EJamison

[18]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 17
    gt0163c wrote:
    The residuals that the writers receive are based on when the show is shown/streamed/downloaded/etc rather than when the show is produced.
    I'm not a lawyer, but at first glance this would seem very strange. However, I suppose it's possible for a contract to refer to a future contract and say that the residuals would be based on the future contract. If you or anyone has a link that says the old contract refers to new contracts let me know.

123home123

[19]Jan 9, 2008
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Fancast's selection is almost identical to Hulu's. Although you have to receive an invitation for Hulu while it's in Beta. I signed up for Hulu and was sent an invitation just two days later so many you guys could try it. It's pretty cool.

I think Fancast uses at least some of Hulu's videos, or both websites use the same hosting service.