TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: General TV Discussion: Is 4th Of July themed programming becoming rare to see on TV?

Antique22

[1]Jul 4, 2010
    • level: 11

Every 4th Of July I have been noticing that programming based on 4th Of July isdisappearing from TV today and it is a shock to see that a patriotic American holiday does not have as much programming as it's supposed to. Is it because special holiday programming are expensive to produce and they want to make holiday programming on a tight budget? Because today when I was channel surfing I was shocked to find no July 4th programming and the only shows that were Fourth Of July themed were fireworks shows and the only show that seems to be the only traditional July 4th show is the Macy's Fireworks show and it tells me that July 4th programming is now rare on TV every year,

Do you agree,

Tiki

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LSyd

[2]Jul 5, 2010
    • level: 17
    I think one of the main problems is that a lot of TV shows are filmed months in advance, so it might be difficult to predict which particular episode would be aired on or near a celebration like that. On top of that, they need to cater for international markets that don't observe it and the fact that a lot of shows now are aired as repeats or sold on DVD, and as such the person might watch it any time of the year. I find it a bit odd watching Chritstmas/Halloween/whatever specials at a time of year when the actual date they're commemorating is months away.

EJamison

[3]Jul 5, 2010
    • level: 17

I don't know where you get the idea that there is supposed to be more such programming. If you mean that there was more of such programming in the past, I don't remember it being so, but perhaps there was. There also used to be a lot more shows where the people were using rotary dial telephones.

People are assumed to be celebrating the holiday, not sitting home and watching TV, although I did spend much of the weekend doing so. I was mostly watching shows that I recorded a couple weeks ago. On the 4th, I spent less than an hour away from my house. I went to Arby's for dinner. Saturday night, however, I went to my sister's for dinner. I saw some fireworks from the highway as I was driving home.

There was a lot of coverage of local holiday events on the news.

If you are referring to fictional shows, I don't think they consider when they will run. Shows that are on in the summer may be less sure about when they will actually be shown.

Edited on 07/05/2010 9:24am

Antique22

[4]Jul 5, 2011
    • level: 11

Once again for July 4th I had seen no patriotic programming this year and the only America themed programming that was shown today was The History Channel's marathons of millitary documentaries and all that the GMC channel showed was a marathon of The Waltons and what does The Waltons have in common with July 4th? I thought it was weird that the GMC channelwould do this on a historic holiday and they should've had a concert instead to honor July 4th. And on NBC all that they had was the Macy's Fireworks Special and a repeat of America's Got Talent. I think that next year that they should do more July 4th programming and make ABC NBC and CBS make 4th Of July themed episodes for their shows and I think it would be a smart idea,

Do You Agree,

Tiki

skippercollecto

[5]Jul 14, 2011
    • level: 15

I'm not sure what you're asking. I looked at the TV schedules for July 4, 2011, and this is what I found. All times are US Eastern:

On CBS: Boston Pops fireworks at 10 p.m.

On HBO: The miniseries John Adams ran all day and then Independence Day aired at 5:30 p.m.

On NBC: Fireworks at 9 p.m.

On PBS: A Capital Fourth at 8 p.m. (this is an annual program)

On TCM: 1776 at 2 p.m. and Yankee Doodle Dandy at 8 p.m.

I don't know about new series programming in the 2000s, but I know that there were few Fourth of July-themed episodes made of TV shows in the 20th century. Why? Because most series' new episodes ran from September through April (through May in the 1960s) and were repeated during the late spring and summer. There were no new series episodes that aired in July. There were times that there were episodes about Fourth of July but they weren't always marketed as such and usually included other events. The only two specific episodes about July 4 that I can think of off the top of my head were Little House on the Prairie's "Centennial" episode, and Quantum Leap's "Runaway."

elias_jacobson

[6]Aug 4, 2011
    • level: 5
    Never actually liked the programming schedule on national holidays. Do you?

skippercollecto

[7]Aug 9, 2011

I found two more episodes:

Saved by the Bell, Fourth of July

Magnum PI, Home from the Sea

Outlaw1168

[8]Aug 25, 2011
    • level: 1

I think the history channel has some really good shows on the revolutionary war that usually show around the 4th but are usually on before the 4th because of the celebrating and all. I would love to see more programs on about the 4th of July, I love the 4th and am very patriotic. God bless America!!

skippercollecto

[9]Jun 29, 2012

Some movies you might want to look for:

Born on the Fourth of July (1989)

Independence Day (1996)

Johnny Tremain (1957)

Miss Firecracker (1989)

The Music Man (1962)

The Patriot (2000)

Revolution (1985)

1776 (1972)

Three Wishes (1995)

When Every Day was the Fourth of July (197

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)

skippercollecto

[10]Jul 1, 2013

Here is what I have found for July 4, 2013. All times are US Eastern.

11:30 a.m. Let Freedom Ring, TCM

5:30 p.m. Yankee Doodle Dandy, TCM

8 p.m. Banner Fourth of July, Hallmark (this is new)

8 p.m. A Capitol Fourth, PBS

8 p.m. Independence Day, A&E

8 p.m. Little House on the Prairie, Centennial, INSP

8 p.m. The Music Man, TCM

8 p.m. Philly Fourth of July Jam, VH1