Forums: General TV Discussion: Television show with the most episodes

KSDK5

[1]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 2

Just curious, if SportsCenter has the most episodes on cable television, what television show has the most episodes on broadcast network television, and what television show has the most episodes on syndicated television?

Thanks,

KSDK5

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EJamison

[2]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 17
    It's all in the name, it seems. "SportsCenter" seems to have the same name 7 days a week. (I don't watch it, so you'll have to tell me if that's correct.) It would seem that a nightly network news program would be the most likely candidate but they tend the change the name on the weekends so it's not the same show... or is it.

Also something I don't know about "SportsCenter", if something gets in the way of it being on at the same time every day, does it manage to air at some time. This hasn't happened for weekend network news which gets preempted by sports.

But if someone gives you an answer, will you take their word for it? Even if they give you an answer that has a lot of shows, how can you know that there isn't another show out there? Are you just curious or do you need an authoritative answer?

BTW, do you know the total electricity bill for KSDK Channel 5 in St Louis since it first started?

123home123

[3]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 55
    I doubt anyone knows the answer for syndicated television. One would have to check all the syndication outlets to verify that the show aired in various markets. Would each city count as a separate airing? Syndicated episodes do not always air on the same day at the same time across the U.S. And is this question related to U.S. shows and broadcasts only?

Cable shows would be easier to determine since cable television has only been around for a few decades. However, I don't know the exact answer to this either.

As for broadcast television, my first guess would have been one of the soap operas but news shows are also a possibility. I know that at least one network soap opera has been airing for almost 56 years with 5 episodes a week nearly every week of every year. That's approximately 14,000 episodes. Is that the record? I don't know, but it has to be at least close to the top.

Finnegan77

[4]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 27
    Just looking for highest number of episodes would be difficult, but I believe "60 Minutes" has one of the longest runs on television (by year). Of course it does not air every day, so the episode # will be lower than for some shows with less longevity. Are you studying up for "Jeopardy" (another show with lots of eps) or just a trivia-junkie?

EJamison

[5]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 17
    Here is an --article-- about the subject.

TelFan7

[6]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 6
    The longest-running weekly series is Meet The Press. But the longest-running daily series and therefore the most episodes would by whatever soap-opera has been around the longest I would think. It would have started on radio making it even longer.

TelFan7

[7]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 6

TelFan7 wrote:
    The longest-running weekly series is Meet The Press. But the longest-running daily series and therefore the most episodes would by whatever soap-opera has been around the longest I would think. It would have started on radio making it even longer.

"The Guiding Light" later "Guiding Light" is the answer.

sweeetuh

[8]Aug 3, 2009
    • level: 1
    actually ESPNEWS has the most cable telivision episodes because it is the only show on one channel (ESPNEWS) 24/7

archangelwho

[9]Aug 4, 2009
    • level: 18

The old Doctor Who and if you add the new Doctor Who no one is close.

archangelwho

[10]Aug 4, 2009
    m not sure
    KSDK5 wrote:

Just curious, if SportsCenter has the most episodes on cable television, what television show has the most episodes on broadcast network television, and what television show has the most episodes on syndicated television?

Thanks,

KSDK5

I'm not sure if you would count news/sport as episodes.

Davesexcel

[11]Aug 9, 2009
    • level: 2
    What makes you state that Sports Center has the most episodes? Do they not repeat the same stories all day, if this is the case then CNN would have more episodes, because it has been around longer than sports center...and they repeat the same stories all day long.

JonJax

[12]Aug 15, 2009
    Common sense and logic tells one that the poser of the question IMO is not interested in news series like CNN or ESPN, or news shows like 60 Minutes or Meet the Press, I feel confidant the question refers to a series, a Bonanza, Law & Order, Gunsmoke and other shows with longevity

brandojones

[13]Aug 16, 2009
    • level: 4
    COPS