Forums: General TV Discussion: What do you prefer: watching TV shows on TV or on DVDs?

omaritoto

[41]Dec 16, 2005
    • level: 18
    DVD cause you can watch 5 episodes in a row not wait every week for 1.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hungry_Homer111

[42]Dec 16, 2005
    • level: 26
    DVDs b/c you don't have to wait for the next episode (unless it's on another season), there are no commercials, and the picture is clearer.

omaritoto

[43]Dec 17, 2005
    Hungry_Homer111 wrote:
    DVDs b/c you don't have to wait for the next episode (unless it's on another season), there are no commercials, and the picture is clearer.

Sound, too.

omaritoto

[44]Dec 17, 2005
    Hungry_Homer111 wrote:

Sound, too.

Hungry_Homer111

[45]Dec 17, 2005
    • level: 26
    omaritoto wrote:
    Hungry_Homer111 wrote:

Sound, too.

Yeah.

omaritoto

[46]Dec 17, 2005
    Oh and special features & subtitles (although I don't use them).

Vampiremooose

[47]Dec 17, 2005
    • level: 2
    I watch mostly everything on a weekly basis but not when they are shown "live". I'll hold them on Sky+ (English DVR/Tivo thing) and watch them whenever is cool for me. Works the same as downloading new shows from America. No advert breaks for me.

I wish they’d give everyone the option to choose between watching shows weekly on TV and buying the whole DVD series at the same time. Then if the show is good people can buy it all right away and not have to wait.

Normally I couldn't stop watching cool new shows to wait for the DVD set as that takes too long and could get spoilers. But it was kinda crazy when it came to watching Lost. Personally I didn't know about it until it aired over here in England, I was hooked by the first three episodes in one triple-bill, didn't want to wait weekly for new episodes so I stopped watching for a few weeks and was able to buy the full season one on American DVD box set as soon as it came out and watch it at my own pace, and it was awesome in mostly four-bills. To give you Americans how far behind England is with Lost, Boone only died this week!

Downside now is that being able to download season two weekly, I'm at the mercy of the crazy American network taking random weeks and months off, that's pure evil. Once a week is bearable when there's no other choice but taking time off during a season is brutal and wrong. If season two of Lost was out right now on DVD, I bet it'd sell like crazy cause of the stupid month off for Xmas.

Think people how good it'd be to get a whole all-new season of your favourite show on the same day as it starts on TV. To watch how you see fit. No waiting, no ads and you get extra features; it'd be hella cool. However I'm aware the networks and advertisers may have a problem with that.

I try to not watch anything "live" with adverts in anymore, I advise everyone to try it if they can. Also NBA and NFL games are so much better when you can fast forward all the ads and time outs, saves like an hour or more a game.

Sorry for the long rant people, didn't quite mean to go on so much, I sometimes get crazy about watching TV!

Kalara

[48]Dec 19, 2005
    • level: 5
    omaritoto wrote:
    DVD cause you can watch 5 episodes in a row not wait every week for 1.

Agree completely! You can watch as many episodes as you want, and see them as many times as you want. No commercials, special features, and especially commentaries.

NiDKiD

[49]Dec 27, 2005
    • level: 11
    DVD, without question.

No commercials.

No stupid station breaks or news interruptions.

No commercials.

No insipid editing by some newbie jerk in the control room pressing the wrong button at the worst possible moment during an important scene.

Have I mentioned... NO COMMERCIALS!

agent_0042

[50]Dec 27, 2005
    • level: 66
    I watch live sometimes, but I love watching on DVD when I can get my hands on them and there's one available for the reasons just said by the above poster. Particularly --- no logos, no split-screen credits and no commercials.

MassInsanity

[51]Dec 27, 2005
    • level: 8
    On TV. I show my support for my favorite shows by watching them on TV. I don't want to hurt their ratings by ignoring them and getting the DVDs later. Plus Its free. But i rather watch WWE pay per views on DVD, mainly because if you wait a while its cheaper, and the WWE doesn't make good PPV's anymore, so I can wait until later and see if the show was any good by reading reviews.

furfer8

[52]Jan 3, 2006
    • level: 9
    I like watching shows on dvd because I hate waiting for the next show. sometimes a week feels like a year when you are really into a show. sometimes you miss a show and you get so behind. plus you sees things in the show that you may have missed. if you watch NYPD Blue you have to watch it on dvd because there is a hoe new meaning to the show.

xGowronx

[53]Jan 3, 2006
    • level: 60
    I prefer dvd so I can watch it at my own pace, whenever I'm ready to.

YamataDragon

[54]Jan 4, 2006
    • level: 56
    I perfer DVD because they don't have commercials.

KutieKity

[55]Mar 20, 2006
    • level: 6
    I like watching shows on DVD that way I can watch as many as I want in a row. Also, I won't have to worry if I've missed an episode or not. I mainly do it when I start watching a show for the first time and I want to catch up with where the show is currently on air.

I've recently realized that the majority of the DVD's on my Netflix queue are tv show DVD's. I think I like tv shows better than movies.

archangelcory16

[56]Mar 20, 2006
    • level: 32
    KutieKity wrote:
    I think I like tv shows better than movies.

I think I do too.

avenge_the_dead

[57]Mar 21, 2006
    I would much rather watch TV shows on DVD. No commercials, no waiting a week to watch the next episode, can watch each episode when you want too....

gt0163c

[58]Mar 21, 2006
    • level: 16
    For me, it depends.
    DVD is great for catching up on shows I never watched when they were on, don't have the option of watching (I don't have cable, so I'm watching BSG that way) or rewatching favorite episodes (I've watched the West Wing pilot many, many times). And, as many people have said, DVDs have many advantages including commentaries, better quality, no commercials, no waiting for new episodes (or even new seasons if you're far enough behind). When I was watching Buffy on DVD, it was great to be able to not have to wait the summer months to see what happened after the season 2 finale (one of the most amazing moments of television I have seen, and one of the best uses of music).

That said, there's also something to be said for watching television as it airs. Again, with Buffy, I feel like I've missed out on something, having not seen it when it was on television. I've visited some fan web sites and have read some of the comments and speculations that were made right after episodes aired. And I feel like I've missed out on some of that. Also, for a show that is that prevalent in popular culture, I was spoiled about almost all of the major plot points that happened throughout the series.
    Similarly, I have some friends at work who are watching BSG as it airs. They know I'm catching it when the DVDs come out, so they have to be careful about spoilers. And I have to take care when I'm listening to a few podcasts, as they tend to discuss the episodes not long after they air. And I can sympathize as I saw Serenity during one of the summer prescreenings and had to wait months to talk about it, which was, at times, difficult.

The whole issue of timeshifting and, really, of ads with "live" tv isn't that big a deal for me, as I tape everything I watch. So I can watch it when it's convenient for me and fastforward through the commercials. But I do at times have quality issues (and when the networks decided it was a good idea to schedule Lost, Veronica Mars and Bones at the same time on Wednesday nights I was not a happy camper. Thankgoodness for UPN doing Saturday repeats of Veronica Mars.)

taper6

[59]Mar 21, 2006
    • level: 7
    gt0163c wrote:

snip
    The whole issue of timeshifting and, really, of ads with "live" tv isn't that big a deal for me, as I tape everything I watch. So I can watch it when it's convenient for me and fastforward through the commercials. But I do at times have quality issues (and when the networks decided it was a good idea to schedule Lost, Veronica Mars and Bones at the same time on Wednesday nights I was not a happy camper. Thankgoodness for UPN doing Saturday repeats of Veronica Mars.)

FINALLY! I encounter another VCR junkie on TV.com! It's not only a matter of missing the commercials, but the networks put their 'best' shows on in time-competing slots. So you have a choice of WHICH one you can watch. With VCRs you can tape ALL the shows that the networks choose to put on at the same time. Originally, I bought $400 VCRs to do this operation (nowadays they're lots cheaper) with the rationalization that I would suck up ALL the entertainment available on my rip-off cable, and not waste money on movies. Alas, I am now old and bored and go out to movies anyway, as well as taping all TV shows that I can stomach.

Being cheap as dirt, I do not rent (buy? heaven forbid!) many DVDs. But, having discovered tv.com, I read that The Shield had been on for two seasons before FX was available to me. Off to Hollywood Video and, renting them two at a time I caught up on seasons1 and 2 in about a week. Which brings me to my point: I binge on DVDs, when I have entertainment as good as that available, and can't resist watching a season in just a few days! Those two seasons of The Shield were about 10,000% better that any movies I've EVER attended in the rest of my life! So... while I enjoy watching DVDs more than TV, they will make me spend too much time in my TV chair.

scooby_92

[60]Mar 21, 2006
    I prefer watching them on DVD, you can watch them when you want to and you don't have to watch the commercials. Also you can rewind some parts you didn't quite understand or just want to laugh at again.