Forums: General TV Discussion: What do you prefer: watching TV shows on TV or on DVDs?

mmccarron

[61]Mar 22, 2006
    • level: 3
    It depends on the show. I watched the whole first season of LOST on DVD. Then couldn't wait and started watching the second season on DVD.

There is a lot to be said for TIVO. It certainly has made my life easier and I can fast forward though the commercials )

If you are watching a season of a show running a second time on TV, they also tend not to show every episode, but the same ones over and over again (IE MASH, CSI, etc). Has anyone else found this to be true?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hungry_Homer111

[62]Mar 22, 2006
    • level: 26
    Hungry_Homer111 wrote:
    DVDs b/c you don't have to wait for the next episode (unless it's on another season), there are no commercials, and the picture is clearer.

I know that I already answered this, but I recently started watching a show on DVD that has made my opinion on this even stronger. I am watching 24 on DVD. I started watching it a few months ago, and I'm now on season 3.

Watching it on DVD is a lot better than watching it on TV. You don't have to wait a week to watch the next episode, and there are no comercials. This makes it a lot better, having the episodes flow in about 45 minutes. The commercials on TV ruin the excited feeling you have after one act ends. And if you watch at least two episodes in a row, it's just like a movie.

jekyll

[63]Mar 22, 2006
    • level: 86
    Hungry_Homer111 wrote:
    I am watching 24 on DVD. I started watching it a few months ago, and I'm now on season 3.

Watching it on DVD is a lot better than watching it on TV. You don't have to wait a week to watch the next episode, and there are no comercials. This makes it a lot better, having the episodes flow in about 45 minutes. The commercials on TV ruin the excited feeling you have after one act ends. And if you watch at least two episodes in a row, it's just like a movie.
    I could not possibly disagree more. I've always felt 24 is the one show least friendly to DVD watching. I think the immediate gratification greatly lessens the impact of the show. The whole point of the mini-cliffhangers at the act breaks is that angst you feel for 3 minutes, waiting to see what will happen next. And then at the end, you get a week to talk with friends/fans and speculate how the episode-ending cliffhanger will resolve.

chibidusk

[65]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 8
    t's a tie for me. Watching on television has many benefits. It's how it was intended to be viewed, first of all. Some shows play with the commercial breaks - announcing them on screen in a comedy, or using them effectively as cliffhangers in a drama. That's lost with DVD. Also, you can view the series earlier, and be caught up with the next season for when it airs (instead of struggling to catch up on DVD when it comes out a mere week before the second season premiere.) Also, for series like Heroes and Supernatural / Smallville (and basically anything on the CW)... the "next week" trailers and teasers are stunning... and you miss those entirely on the DVD sets (I wish they were included...) However, on DVD you are able to watch at your own pace; and if you are eager to find out what comes next, you can. The quality is also more stunning then on broadcast, due to my poor quality affiliates (ABC has washed out colours, The CW is VHS quality; NBC is basically the only thing that looks nice. FOX looks fine, but often shares a combination of the two previously mentioned quality remarks.) You also get (even though lacking on TV sets) special features that help you get further into the series (LOST is amazing in this regard.) I'd rather watch the HD broadcasts, and catch up on old series (or missed seasons) on DVD.

EJamison

[66]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 17
    Wow! A 17-mo bump!

FirestormWolf

[67]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 3

Personally, I prefer to download all that I can of particular series since I don't have to deal with the commercials. This way I can either burn them to dvd or if I don't like them all that much, delete them.

Right now I'm downloading two different anime series that are proving to be extremely interesting and the hubby has just found a third which he's downloading so I can watch it on his computer. It's really nice to have two computers. No telling what you can find out there on the web. Just like my finding this site. Believe me, it has me very interested especially on the older episodes of shows that I've always liked.

Thanks for having this site on the web. You are a dream come true for someone like me.

Firestormwolf

The_Beekeeper

[68]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 10
    I would say TV, if networks were more reliable. As TV is meant to be shown in weekly intervals. But networks (here in Australia, at least) can so rarely be relied upon to do that. So DVD, as I know I wont be interrupted mid-season.

SMGslayer97

[69]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 34
    DVD, honestly because I can go at my own pace. Things are also easily remember, like Heroes for example. With a large cast and so much happening, plus those long hiatus things scattered about, it it sometimes hard to remember the smaller details. Plus you don't halfta wait from week to week for cliffhangers to be resolved and such. Something shocking happens on a new episode you're forced to wait a week to see how it is resolved, granted it works because it forces fans to tune in. I just prefer watching the episode back to back, things are fresh and flow better to me.

bouges13

[70]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 19
    I prefer to watch shows as they air if at all possible. But tv on dvd is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It allows you a second chance to see any series that you missed out on, and a chance to watch your favorite shows again.

EJamison

[71]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 17
    I generally do not watch anything live but I don't get DVDs. I either watch on TiVo or on VHS. The exception is if I'm on vacation and want to watch something on my laptop at the airport or on the plane. Then I'll copy a tape to a DVD.

M-W-S-A-T-D-K-T

[72]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 12

I love watching stuff on TV.
    I have DVD's of shows and even if I have seen that episode like 5 times, when it is on TV I still need to watch it.

I guess it's more, if it is on tv, there are other people to watch it with you and you can jsut be like 'well, it's on tv so we mosewell watch it' , but if you put on a DVD for someone, they will think your just weird (well they think I'm weird).

more_ncis_now

[73]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 58
    I prefer watching on TV because if I watch a DVD it doesn't have the same effect because I watch it on my computer. However, I dislike commercials, so if I watch something on TV I generally record it first and watch it a day later - so I guess nothing that I watch is directly from the TV!

Dulcinea1978

[74]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 13

I like both, dvd is great for all obvious reasons, you watch when you want and as many eps as you want, there's no commercials

Tv is great because it gives you something to look forward to, and it's a lot cheaper than buying a dvd box

I mostly watch new shows on tv (or download) and older ones like Buffy or Dawson's Creek on dvd

Watershiprabbit

[75]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 9
    I prefer DVD.

archangelcory16

[76]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 32
    If too many people start waiting for the DVDs, shows are just gonna get canceled more quickly. This past season my TV was in such bad condition I only watched "Lost". Everything else I downloaded and watched.

This season I would LIKE to buy an HDTV so I could watch a bunch of new shows live, but even then I'd *still* buy them on DVD when they were released.

Basically, I love both methods.

-D3MO-

[77]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 1
    DVD's by far

DonGorskeFan

[78]Aug 27, 2007
    • level: 7

DVD's > TV Better picture, sound, no commericals. I do still watch shows like Seinfeld when its on TV even when i have the episode on DVD. Plus i always watch DVD's before I goto bed. Either Seinfeld or Simpsons.

for new shows like Lost and Prison Break, i always watch them as the air, its not worth waiting nearly a year for the DVD set to come out.

Edited on 08/27/2007 5:22am

aheslop

[79]Aug 27, 2007
    • level: 1

I Like Both

Tv Because you dont have to wait or pay for it (your Parents do that)

And DVDs Because there are no interuptions from commertials and stuff

skaterwasian

[80]Aug 27, 2007
    • level: 14
    Neither. Since I've been watching mostly anime lately. I use the internet. For all of my live action shows most of which aren't showing new episodes right now I watch them on tv or on the internet.