Forums: General TV Discussion: What do you prefer: watching TV shows on TV or on DVDs?

hilljo

[81]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    dvd, mainly because you can pause it when someone interupts you at a vital moment, rewind to catch bits you don't understand, better picture than my tv reception, and I can watch as many episodes as I like in one sitting!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

matzaa

[82]Sep 12, 2007
    • level: 25
    doesn't matter

chibidusk

[83]Sep 12, 2007
    • level: 8
    I said this before, but...

DVD for series which I am very far behind in (and can't catch up with - 3 or more seasons) or do not air here (Nip/Tuck, well... it does, but late into the season and the american-aired episodes aren't available in HD, so the DSR downloads look like crap.)

HDTV DivX for everything else. Watched weekly, along with the broadcast schedule. Since it's DivX, I can use these episodes just as if they were a DVD. Pause, Rewind, etc. They are good watching quality, and allow me to view the widescreen format rather then the 4:3 ratio I get with my current TV.

I also watch canceled series on DVD, at my own pace. Usually if a show is still airing, and I want to catch up in time to start watching it on-air, I breeze through the DVDs and sometimes don't enjoy them fully.

Some shows are butchered by DVD viewing, too. Since they require the week-pauses. Heroes, for example (not butchered, but an example), has some really repetitive things which had me questioning... like radical changes from episode to episode in a character, and some in which felt like they weren't there long enough (1 week as opposed to 40m differences between episodes.)

mythillos

[84]Dec 6, 2007
    • level: 9
    really, i don't watch many series on TV because they are not shown in my region so i'm forced to buy a DVD. But, i prefer watching them on television because waiting for them every week makes you last them even more.

jeany1114

[85]Dec 7, 2007
    • level: 1
    DVDs 'coz there's no commercial break and you can watch as long as your eyes can handle..

Zwingli4

[86]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 16

Well for serialized shows like "Lost," or even shows with long story arcs ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Hill Street Blues") it may be better to watch them on DVD. The trouble with these types of shows on broadcast is you might miss a few shows and then be in a position of trying to figure out what's going on. For instance, if you miss a few episodes of "Lost," you are, well, lost. Even besides that I like to watch the shows in order (no bumping key episodes into summer because the empty network suits are afraid of a depiction of school violence, like the 3rd season of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") and at my own, not the networks, convenience.

Edited on 12/08/2007 11:07am

CWHunter

[87]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 10
    Live tv. The reason: community. Everyone is watching it and talking about it. If I had waited to watch Heroes on DVD, I would go online to a forum only to be asked why I am talking about something that happened last season. Watching Live means I get to take part in that community and talk about theories, and the excitment of the next episode. DVD's are fun for catching up or to collect your favorite shows or if you never got to watch that show when it was on air (for me LOST seasons 1+2), but other wise it is just more fun to watch Live. The waiting, excitement, talking and theories is what I enjoy. Yea, DVD may have better quality, but the fun factor is not as high.

mackymacaspac

[88]Dec 10, 2007
    • level: 78
    if you can call downloading TV episodes from the internet and burning them into DVD-R's, then I'd have to say DVD. no commercials. watch them anytime. rewind for missed dialogues. share copy with family and friends. pause when you have to answer the phone or get some grub. go on sleepless marathons. you get the point.

jadranka_zd

[89]Dec 10, 2007
    • level: 4
    On dvd of course.

j_jameson

[90]Apr 26, 2009
    • level: 3
    tv on dvd all the way, you have full control.

Dulcinea1978

[91]Apr 26, 2009
    • level: 13
    Few American shows actually make it to Belgian tv over here, and if they do we are so far behind. So I download the shows I want to watch when they air in America, if the show is really good then I will still buy the dvd later so I can watch it all again.
    I think both have pros and cons, on dvd is better cause no commercials and you can watch as many eps as you want. I like following stuff on tv too because it's fun to look forward to a show every week and I like discussing the eps with other people who also watch the show on the same day.

Parsec54

[92]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 20
    The only dvds I get are shows or movies that I know I like. Also, the tv dvds I get are shows that are no longer on tv so I'm not really sure this question applies, but still, I like the dvds better. As many people have said, you don't have to sit through commercials, you can watch them when YOU want, not having to wait for the tv stations to air them, and the episodes are uncut, as far as I know, so you get them the way they were originally, not all chopped up with scenes that have been left out in re-editing thanks to syndication and later broadcast with differntly timed commercial breaks and stuff. Plus you get the whole episode, not "We now join our regularly scheduled program, already in progress." I used to hate that when I'd be trying to watch Space: Above and Beyond, or Voyager, and it'd be pre-empted because a stupid football game went overtime or something.
    I have enough shows I have to try to get on dvd, and those are difficult enough. I don't bother worrying about shows I've never seen.
    And to the person who replied some pages back that tv show dvds aren't expensive, I guess you've never seen the price the stores want for Star Trek dvds... The FYE I go to wants $120.00 per season for those, and I just can't afford it. The fifty dollars most other shows cost are difficult enough as it is when you're on a fixed income.

rondasexton

[93]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 11
    I like watching DVDs if for no other reason, you don't have to deal with stupid commericals. You can also stop them to do a multitude of other things that pop up to demand your attention.

Aarinfel

[94]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 5

I like waiting until there are 2-3 seasons of a show that I'm into before I watch any of it. So I know it wont get cancelled after season one (like Dark Angel, and Tru Calling).

I usualy then get the first season on DVD, and if it's out, season 2. Sit wand watch then all back to back! I hate comercials, and get annoyed when I have to wait a week to see what happens next!

ali_tv_fan

[95]May 3, 2009
    • level: 13
    dvd 100%. You getspecial features, commentaries, subtitles, all the info on the episodes and NO ADS!! and u can watch whenever you like, over and over.

isaisa6699

[96]May 5, 2009

Carolee99 wrote:
    I like watching shows on DVD mostly because there aren't any commercials and the reception is much better than on TV.

I love watch tv shows on dvds really. and have just finished watching James Bond 007.

I love James Bond 007, since i was in my junior school. It's plot touched everyone heart.Just as one guy comment :
    What a difference a great actor makes. Daniel Craig is superb as James Bond and parting from that point everything in it is enjoyable, frightening, thrilling just because we're with him. He conquered us from the word go. The initial chase is one of the best in film history and as soon as we get to know this new incarnation of the iconic Ian Fleming character, we're hooked. He's virile but there is room for ambiguity. He's elegant but as, the sensational Eva Green, points out is more acquired than inherited. More working ****than even Sean Connery and that works wonders for Mr Bond. The script is more compact and organic. The locations are breathtaking and what else I can say? The series have been reinvigorated, rejuvenated and in one single stroke have secured that this franchise will live forever. A note to Barbara Broccoli, the producer, your father would be so proud. Congratulations!

isaisa6699

[97]May 5, 2009

I love James Bond 007, since i was in my junior school. It's plot touched everyone heart.Just as one guy comment :
    What a difference a great actor makes. Daniel Craig is superb as James Bond and parting from that point everything in it is enjoyable, frightening, thrilling just because we're with him. He conquered us from the word go. The initial chase is one of the best in film history and as soon as we get to know this new incarnation of the iconic Ian Fleming character, we're hooked. He's virile but there is room for ambiguity. He's elegant but as, the sensational Eva Green, points out is more acquired than inherited. More working ****than even Sean Connery and that works wonders for Mr Bond. The script is more compact and organic. The locations are breathtaking and what else I can say? The series have been reinvigorated, rejuvenated and in one single stroke have secured that this franchise will live forever. A note to Barbara Broccoli, the producer, your father would be so proud. Congratulations! For more info, pls go to http://www.storeofeast.com/26637_Will-And-Grace-Complete-Seasons-1-8-DVDS-BOXSET-ENGLISH-VERSION.html.

isaisa6699

[98]May 5, 2009

Rawhead_Rex wrote:
    I dont watch very much TV at all, infact it is probably about 1 or maybe 2 hours per week. I spend my spare time watching dvd's, video games, playing doctors and nurses with Jessica Alba, Hanging with one or two friends. So I usually catch up with a show when it hits dvd, that way I can watch it when I want, with no cr*ppy advertisements or edits or postponements due to sports coverage which by the way the BBC is the best at doing. So avoid their shows if possible and wait for disc like I do. Unless you are willing to put up with punches, headbutt's, kicks, language, amoungst other things being edited from the shows that the BBC transmit. Like this week I watched the entire season 1 of Angel for the first time, couldn't do that on TV. And I look forward to seeing the other seasons in the same manner as well.

I love watch TV in my spare time. last sunday, i have just finished watching the '70s show(i got this dvd from http://www.storeofeast.com/26542_That-70s-Show-Complete-Seasons-1-8-DVDS-BOXSET-ENGLISH-VERSION.html )

December 31, 1979, and the gang is gathered at the Formans' house for one last New Year's Eve of the '70s. A party isn't a party unless the gang's all here... and some old friends return to celebrate the new decade, while some others get ready to leave.
    This was really, not a bad ending. It actuallr wraps off the story all so well. But, of course, there is adebate of some gliches.First of all, the plot; Less thn 2 hours before 1980 arrives, and the gang wants to do something to end well. This is where all the knots are tied; no more. And, for the fate of the characters;Randy... does absolutly noting.Kitty and Red decide the stay in FloridaLeo is staying in Point PlaceKelso found a good place for hi family.Hyde's going to Chicago.Fez and Jackie - they're together - finally kisses.And, the biggest spoiler, Eric and Donna are back!So, everything went well at the end. Well, still, there is the funny part where Kelso blasted the rocket.BUT there is a few glitches. Nothing so big, but, still,gltches,none the less.Randy was only there because... well, I dunno. He just appered and dissapered.They reused the ending from the first episode.They were accrate with the flashbacks on Donna and Eric, but Kelso, Hyde, and Red's flashbacks were a bit off.We still don't know what the future still has back. I know, we see a brief look of now. But what about the rest of now?It was overal one of the best endings to one of the most magnificent shows FOX has made. I just hope that this could go more than the 70's.

http://www.storeofeast.com/26542_That-70s-Show-Complete-Seasons-1-8-DVDS-BOXSET-ENGLISH-VERSION.html for more info

friendsfan2006

[99]May 5, 2009
    • level: 2
    i prefer watching shows on dvd as not only do you have full control but at least dvd isnt cut to ribbons like on tv

usedtobefangle

[100]May 6, 2009
    • level: 10
    TV