Forums: General TV Discussion: When will all networks including CBS stop the TV popups or snipes?

FrederickAltl

[1]Jan 10, 2012
    • level: 1

A number of my favorite CBS shows as well as a number of other shows continue to put ads at the bottom of the screen while we're trying to watch our programs. Currently an hour long show lasts 43 minutes and this is shrinking. These TV popups or snipes as NBC calls them. They air during the programs we pay a lot of money for them. During NCIS:LA they had snipes for the new show called ROB. This is not only annoying but disrupting. At what point do we get to watch our shows in peace? If you ever watch shows on Discover you will see them all the time. During American Chopper Paul Sr. and Jr. pop up during the show. Mike Rowe pops up during his show. The guy on Sons of Guns pops up shooting his guns. If you watch TNT just before The Closer's new season comes on you will see Brenda Lee walk under a crime scene tape. At what point do we get to watch our shows. When you watch the Indy 500 ESPN has this thing called side by side. What's the point in purchasing a large HDTV when they shrink the screen to run TV ads? They also do this during NASCAR. It's called Non-stop NASCAR then. The Weather Channel used do a lower left squeezeback to show their local on the 8's. You could hardly see the hot weather channel babes. Soon we won't be able to watch TV if the networks have their way. I wonder if it will ever end?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Waggytoon

[2]Jan 11, 2012
    • level: 13

I'm afraid it's not going to end.

The most annoying pop-ups are for upcoming programming. And networks like Disney Channel, Disney XD, Cartoon Network, nickelodeon, and nickToons (the five best channels all around) are hyping what's coming up in their lineup all the time. Whether it's a pop-up set with titles of series on Disney XD or a pop-up with characters from upcoming series on nickToons, viewers are stuck with pop-ups whether they like them or not. And they're not going away for a long time.

"Waggytoon"Frown

Antique22

[3]Jan 12, 2012
    • level: 11

These pop-ups and snipes are what I find annoying on TV most of all these days and why these mini commercials and previews are created to give people a sneak peek at new shows that networks are adding to their lineup. Take for instance every time I watch my Whammy reruns on GSN nearly every two minutes GSN has pop-ups for Dancing With The Stars and snipes for Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader and any time you watch any game showon GSN you never see the ending of the shows because the Dancing With The Stars clips take a whole hour of the credits and GSN should remove these clips and show the game shows with the end credits uncut. And not only does GSN do this but Cartoon Network does this as wellwhen you watch Family Guy you see popups advertising Robot Chicken and Aqua Teen Hunger Force and as long as TV channels do this it's all about the money,

Tiki

Waggytoon

[4]Jan 13, 2012

There is a bigger picture to note: The pop-ups and snipes for upcoming programming on the networks has killed pure home video recording of episodes of TV series! You can't record any episode of any series without the pop-ups and snipes appearing during the shows!

And regarding end credits: Most networks don't show the actual end credits for their series, instead airing a promo/ "tailored" end credit sequence. Although there are some exceptions, like Cartoon Network's premiere airings of new episodes of their series, or Disney XD's shrinking of the actual end credits of series which don't have end tags featured to the top left of the screen to have a promo for their upcoming shows on the top right of the screen. In both Disney cable networks' case, they shrink the end credits of their movies (which are regrettably fast-forwarded as well, except for those Disney Channel Original Movies) to have promos for their programming- although Disney Channel has their promos at the bottom right of the screen during the movie end credits.

So basically, not onlycan you not record pure episodes of TV series due to pop-ups and snipes, but you don't get the actual end credits of the series either! And unfortunately, the networks have shut down pure home video recording with all this, which, as mentioned before, will not go away ever!

"Waggytoon"

(Sorry. Techical problems with the bold and indenting buttons today. Friday the 13th, after all.)Frown

Frankburnsflagg

[5]Feb 6, 2012
    @ Antique22: I hate those as well. You get all into the show, and then all of a sudden... 'boom' there's a popup that takes you out of it. Heck it's getting to the point that even having cable or anything else just isn't worth it. It's down to 'the invasion of the ads O_O'... Or just they want ungodly amounts of money so they'll advertise any dang time that they want...

suzy3852

[6]Feb 12, 2012
    • level: 3

my cbs or nbc never has shown ads or snipes (whatever that is) in my area. i never heard of that. when my aunt was alive and lived in hughes ark they never had them either. only time i see ads is when they have commercials. i live in st louis

fweak

[7]Feb 13, 2012
    • level: 49

You don't see the snipes on the Web (Hulu atleast) or on the DVD's of the show. It seems to be a network/channel specific thing. They've been around for more than a decade now and I think they'll only get worse. I love it when the Family Guy spoofs them with fake shows like Shovin' Buddies or when Stewie just starts yelling at Keifer Sutherland when a 24 ad was displaying.

cringer00

[8]Jun 15, 2012

A few people out there are saying they do this to make the DVD releases more attractive. I have had shows that I have turned off completely due to this garbage. Did I buy the series on DVD when it was released? No, I didn't. Why? Well, the popups made me no longer want to watch the show, which I was attempting to view and enjoy. Once that factor was removed, the desire to own the series on DVD was gone as well. So as a result, they not only lost me as a viewer, they lost the potential sales of the shows' DVD that they released later on.

When I e-mail a network and complain about this, I always include this as a valid point as to why no one likes these.

Popups failed on the internet and I can't see how you can see this being a working model for TV. My proof: browsers come with popup blockers and there are also many other third party software programs created to block items of this sort as well. If these were actually successful then people would have adopted them on the internet instead of wanting them trashed. I see this happening with TV as well, as people will be annoyed at the numerous amount of garbage being slammed on their TV for other shows etc.

marianareb

[9]Jun 30, 2012
    I worked as a graphics producer in the online promo dept. at a network years ago but now it really has gotten out of hand. No consideration to the program that is showing and the viewer! It is VERY distracting! I once was watching a movie with subtitles that were totally blocked by these pop ups. I hate it online and HATE it on TV.

Nahuk

[10]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 2

I don't think it is going to end to, it will always be there

jtlvf

[11]Dec 1, 2013

Okay, boys and girls, men and women, Earthlings and all others:

It is a fact that the only thing tv and cable providers respond to is MONEY, and that is the only way we can force them to stop forcing pop-ups/graphics down our collective throats:

CANCEL YOUR CABLE AND TURN OFF YOUR TV!!!!

Being angry at them won't work; changing the channel won't work; writing the network presidents won't work but turning off the television and not seeing the ads of their sponsors will deprive them of the one god they worship and that god is MONEY!!! Cable companies and networks exist for the MONEY. They absolutely do not care about anything other than mountains of sponsor money and getting more. When enough viewers become ex-viewers and when the half the cable subscriptions are cancelled taking their subscription monies with them, stations will stop running those aggravating pop-ups. When their financials are showing a LOSS of MONEY, when they can no longer get new subscribers or retain sponsors, the pop-ups and graphics will cease. When their own employees are the only viewers watching their crappy programming, they will pay attention.

We buy dvds, often in lieu of watching television programs with commercials but only as long as there are NO pop-ups and NO commercials on the dvds. The first time pop-ups or commercials are added to my dvds, they will go back to the store because of the pop-up intrusions. Remember: MONEY TALKS, BS WALKS. Withhold enough money, and they will pay attention to us, the viewers.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!!

samosa

[12]Jul 23, 2014

Hi

Does anyone know if the pop-ups are still there when you watch cable TV through a streaming service?

Thanks

Samosa