Trivia and Quotes
Julia: (on attending college) Well, my reasons when I started were different from the reasons that I'm continuing now. My reasons for starting school had to do more with the experience of it all, and then, I ended up really just enjoying studying. There are things that I can study in school that I can't learn on a movie set. It's good to get perspective.
Julia: (on the film The Prince and Me) You watch two people fall in love and connect. It's the tried and true story of two people from different walks of life connecting on a really deeper level. There is a fantasy element to it and fairy tale element to it, but what's nice is that my character is really grounded and real and is believable, hopefully, if I did my job. It's not a repeat of Cinderella stories.
Julia: (on Jonathan Cramer) I've learned a lot from him, because he's in a totally different creative profession. And he's a wonderful human being, and I'm madly in love. But out of respect for him, I try not to talk about him when he's not here to speak for himself. Because it would be weird to read about yourself in an article.
Julia: (Do Dexter and Lumen fall in love?) It depends on your definition of love. There are many different ways to show love that can be interpreted in many different ways. Plus, emotions with Dexter are already so unconventional that it's hard to put the word love in there.
Julia: (On her character, Lumen in Dexter) She comes into Dexter's life, and she's very mysterious. You only slowly learn where she's come from, and it's clear that she's experienced a major trauma and has a really hard time moving past that and getting on with her life.
Julia: I think women get caught up too much in having a plan -- 'I'm going to get married at this age; I'm going to have a kid at this age' -- and then they just try to find a guy who will fit into that picture. I don't want my life to be based on that.
Julia: (on her inspiration behind her shirt creations which double as pants) I met this homeless man who had never owned a shirt in his life. He had taken his pants and worn them as a shirt and I thought it was so creative. He was liberated from the conventions of fashion.
Julia: (when asked by Conan O'Brien about her first bite of a hamburger when she stopped being a vegan) The word orgasm comes to mind.
When travelling for roles, Julia has an old blanket "Blanky" that she takes with her to fight homesickness.
Grew up with Claire Danes and Zac Posen.
Julia is a die-hard New York Mets fan.
Awards & Nominations: -
10 Things I Hate About You
• 1999 (N) - Film - Breakout Performance, Teen Choice Awards
• 1999 (N) - Film - Sexiest Love Scene, Teen Choice Awards, shared with Heath Ledger
• 1999 (N) - Best Performance by a Young Actress in a Comedy Film, YoungStar Awards
• 2000 (W) - Most Promising Actress, Chicago Film Critics Association Awards, tied with Émilie Dequenne (Rosetta)
• 2000 (W) - Breakthrough Female Performance, MTV Movie Awards
State and Main
• 2000 (W) - Best Acting by an Ensemble, National Board of Review, shared with castmates
• 2001 (W) - Best Ensemble Cast, Florida Film Critics Circle Awards, shared with castmates
• 2001 (W) - Best Ensemble Cast Performance, Online Film Critics Society Awards
Save the Last Dance
• 2001 (W) - Best Kiss, MTV Movie Awards, shared with Sean Patrick Thomas
• 2001 (N) - Best Female Performance, MTV Movie Awards
• 2001 (W) - Film - Choice Actress, Teen Choice Awards
• 2001 (W) - Film - Choice Fight Scene, Teen Choice Awards, shared with Bianca Lawson
• 1998 (W) - Best Actress, Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, forWicked
• 2000 (N) - Film - Choice Actress, Teen Choice Awards, for Down to You
• 2000 (N) - Film - Choice Chemistry, Teen Choice Awards, for Down to You, shared with Freddie Prinze, Jr.
• 2002 (N) - Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, Drama, Golden Satellite Award, for The Business of Strangers
• 2004 (N) - Choice Movie Actress - Drama/Action Adventure, Teen Choice Awards, for both Mona Lisa Smile and The Prince & Me
• 2006 (N) - Movie - Choice Scream, Teen Choice Awards, for The Omen
• 2011 (N) - TV- Guest Actress In A Drama Series for Dexter
Film, Video, and TV Movie Credits:
• Passage (2009) as Ella
• The Cry of the Owl (2009) as Jenny Thierolf
• Gospel Hill (2008) as Rosie
• The '60s (1999) (TV) as Katie Herlihy
• Before Women Had Wings (1997) (TV) as Phoebe Jackson
In August 2009, Julia showcased her talent in fashion design by coming up with an eco-friendly clothing label called Styles. The designs make use of recyclable materials and are named after the films that she's done.
In 2007, Stiles wrote and directed the drama short, Raving featuring Zooey Deschanel.
She appeared in the music videos, "Sally's Pigeons" by Cyndi Lauper in 1993 and "Crazy" by K-Ci and Jo-Jo in 2000.