Good
7.1

Rock and Roll! Two solid episodes in one nice package!

By Trey_Vore, Mar 17, 2006

I will say that I consider 'Shake, Rattle n' Woof/Cadpig Behind Bars as two superb episodes of the series and they are likely to be ranking in the Series' Finest. They both have great plots and humor, and will be episodes I will watch over and over again.

'Shake, Rattle n' Woof'--Cruella blackmails the Dearlys into putting on a Hee Haw type show; and it's up to the Main Pups to save the farm.

We start with Roger using the pups barks (and Spot's clucking) to make a mix tape. I will start by saying I liked the musical interlude reference to Jingle Cats; cartoon characters doing music videos is a lot of fun in my book; it reminds me of the 1990 Bart Simpson music videos 'Do the Bartman' and 'Deep Deep Trouble'.

Cruella's scheme this time-to take posession of Dearly Farm under contact-was a devious little plot that I wasn't sure how the Dearlys would get out of. However, they just let the cards fall where they would, and Cruella getting her comeuppance through Horace and Jasper 'just following her strict orders' was a funny bit. Other bits of humor, such as Cruella getting the pups names wrong (Ucky, Roy, a Pig and Spit) is humorous and in character; Roger's not the only one Cruella misnames.

I also liked the Main Pups' guises; Lucky as Elvis, Rolly in a Mexican garb, Cadpig as a biker chick and Spot in a cheesehat was funny to look at.

If there were anything I would point out as wrong, maybe Lucky, like the other for Main Pups, would like being on TV, him at first trusting Cruella would be out of character (she did originally plot to kill them all), but Spot corrects them in this case. I don't know if there would be a message--other than, 'Your friends will help you out in a jam'--but it's overall still a great episode and I would highly recommend it.

'Cadpig Behind Bars'--Lucky, Rolly and Pug go to help Cadpig when she is taken to the pound.

This is another solid ep in the series, it gives us a stronger idea of who Cadpig is and it is a truly humorous episode. Unlike Rolly and to a degree Spot, Cadpig works great as a central focus character and she is a lot of fun to watch, while I tend to prefer the other two to play support. Cadpig, on the other hand, works great as both. Like Lucky, she leaves something to your imagination, which I think is a great asset in Cadpig-centric episodes. While you can pretty accurately guess what Rolly and Spot were like prior to the series (Rolly was the Dearly family gourmand, and Spot was a chicken that felt she didn't quite fit in), it is fun thinking exactly what Lucky and Cadpig were like earlier.

Her attempts to liven up the pound despite her predicament were funny, and in character to boot. The other animals were used to feeling down and they didn't like the sudden shift in mood.

The only downside to this episode is Lt. Pug. As I will establish in greater detail in my review of 'Mall Pups', I tend to like the 'non Pug' episodes better than the 'Pug' episodes. He's a hinderance to both Lucky and Rolly here, I think they are much more competent without him.

Also...where exactly was Spot?

Both fantastic episodes of which I believe were made to establish that you should help friends in need, I whole-heartedly recommend 'Shake, Rattle n' Woof/Cadpig Behind Bars'.

'What you need to do is to put on a happy face! Smile, and the world smiles with you!'

--Get me outta here, 'Cadpig Behind Bars'moreless