Day 6: 6:00 P.M. - 7:00 P.M.

Episode Reviews (35)

Great

I liked it..

By Parricida, Dec 22, 2008

So.. I most say when I think back of last season, one of the things I do remember best was Martha and Pierce and that storyline they developed what for me, at least, came as a surprise and I really started to like it. So, you can see why I was so eager to see this episode - they both return.

This episode has two main storylines - one is Logan and his wife and other Jack in consulate. Jack storyline was exciting, action, but nothing new.. I was thinking quite the same about Martha too - she was just like she is - little bit nervous (in order not to say crazy..).. but the moment she took that knife.. I never dreamt that she would do anything like that.. so shock on that part.moreless

Hits and misses

By BigDyno, Jul 16, 2008

Not a lot to rave about in the first half, but the thrills come eventually.

Gotta explain the plot coherently: since Jack's having more trouble with this Consulate than the last one, it's up to outside forces to save him and get Markov. CTU brings in Agent Mike Doyle to potentially lead an attack on the Consulate, and Logan asks his kooky ex-wife to use her good rapport with the Suvarovs to help bring about a more peaceful resolution. I'll try that again: Logan must convince Martha to convince Anya to convince Suvarov to convince Markov to surrender while Doyle…f*** it.

The White House gives us a little reminder of the Arab involvement: Daniels threatens action against [Fayed's country] unless their Ambassador helps find the nukes. That makes two separate war threats. But I can overlook that convoluted bit because both Daniels and Lennox continue to impress.

Besides, the Russian war threat doesn't last long. Markov won't follow suit, so Suvarov throws CTU a freebie and lets them shoot up the Consulate. And here's where it gets really good, though it's over all too soon. It's an orgasm!

This episode is NOT real-time realistic, and with all the other stuff going on, there isn't much room for Jack himself. But it's nice seeing Martha and Aaron Pierce, despite their wastefully brief screentime. And Gredenko and Fayed finally initiate their drone plan; it's all very exciting. I'm sure this won't lead to a stupid anticlimax.

Hourly Highlight:

The orgasm.moreless

While Jack tries to get away, CTU arranges for an assault...Episode with a lot of fighting...

By DERBEST, Jul 11, 2007

This was an explosive episode, especially the ending...Jack manages to keep a low profile in the consulate...CTU decides to lunch an assault on the Russian Consulate, but they also have the low possibility of convincing the Russians to ask Markov to renounce his position...Logan tries to convince Martha to do something that will enable them not to start a war with the Russians, but he gets stabbed..Somehow i don't think this is the last time that Logan will appear, although the final implies it...I found kinda strange that the Russian president was convinced by his wife so fast...Kind of incredible this part.moreless

Not one of the better episodes.

By Ting13, Jun 04, 2007

This episode just rubbed me the wrong way... I liked the ending, but there were too many elements that didn't seem to fit. Mainly regarding the Logans.

For some reason I don't buy the close friendship between Anya and Martha. Where did that come from? Last season they seemed to barely know each other, and for some reason I doubt they've hung out since that day. Now all of a sudden their bestest friends? What I did like about it was the insight we got into the Suvarov's marriage, which was kind of nice. And I also liked seeing Suvarov's role in this episode, he got a few cheers from me towards the end. Something tells me it will have some less than nice political consequences for him though.

The idea of Martha and Aaron really irks me. Though I'm not 100% sure I believe it yet either, Martha could have just been trying to provoke Logan. But in the first seasons Aaron was a devoted family man; it doesn't fit his character one bit to leave his wife and children for someone like Martha. And seeing him in his everyday life was odd to me. He's one of those characters I don't want to picture outside his job. I'm really happy that the character of Aaron is back, but I would have preferred to see him in a storyline with Wayne Palmer. He's always been most loyal to the Palmers, not to Martha Logan.

As for Martha, she was a general pain in the rear end. And what she did to Logan was just stupid, both from a logical standpoint and from a storyline standpoint.

I was rather fine though with Jack not being featured as much in this episode. It makes sense that the guy can't have stuff happen to him all the time, some hours would be slower (even if the slow hours are when he's trapped like that).

As for the new agent in town... not so sure I like him. But it might just be that the actor annoyed me when he was on "Scrubs". We'll just have to wait and see.

Finally, the vice president is really a jerk. I never thought I'd say this, but Logan, come back, all is forgiven!moreless

awesome

By sfviewer, Mar 25, 2007

Jack is trapped inside the Russian embassy. He manages to free himself and hide inside the embassy. Buchanan brings in an experienced agent to run tactics at CTU. Logan speaks to his wife in hopes of stopping the raid at the embassy. Gredenko prepares to launch the drones. Vice President Daniels is now in charge of the government, things don't go down well with Lennox who is now questioning that same principles that he supported before the assassination attempt on Palmer. So much happens in this episode, it is action packed, the story was fast paced, it went by really fast. Great episode.moreless

Omsk is 13 hours ahead of Los Angeles time, conventional vs. asymmetrical warfare, and the bad guy finding Jesus

By mwsc04, Mar 24, 2007

To start off, I need to address the point about Moscow time (or more specifically Omsk, which is where Anya was giving her speech). As I'm writing this review, the time is 04:48 p.m. in Los Angeles. According to the World Clock it is 05:48 a.m. in Omsk (or 13 hours ahead). If this episode falls between 6-7 p.m. then Omsk time here would is about 2 hours later, or between 7-8 a.m. Omsk time. Even adjusting for DST it would be still be between 6-7 a.m., perfectly acceptable type for starting the work day, especially for world leaders. Not middle of the night, as many reviewers here keep asserting.

The paradigm of the force-on-force mentality (VP/Lennox) vs. the asymmetrical warfare mentality (Palmer et al) continues to be nicely drawn out - this reflects our reality as well and proponents of each point of view lock horns constantly. By Palmer coopting Assad to appeal to the extremists, he is securing "key terrain" (i.e., here, Muslims, but more specifically Islamists), since key terrain in counterinsurgency/asymmetrical warfare are people themselves. Looking forward to seeing how the writers depict the effects of the Lennox plan when it's finally blessed off by the VP (and you know it's coming, unless Wayne does a sudden Tony-style recovery from surgery)

Itzin continues to amaze me with his ability to evoke hatred and sympathy (or more likely pity) simultaneously. At first he's despicably weak, then despicably traitorous, and now in Season 6 he's just sort of pathetic - but the whole time you have to watch his character development like watching a broken-down train derail then finally get back on the tracks again with an overhaul at the last minute before the bridge suddenly collapses underneath it. Martha here was shown more like she was in the very beginning, and there's a lot left unsaid about her current condition or the dynamic of her relationship with Aaron. Nevertheless, her final retribution could have been more subtlely portrayed, maybe as seen from Aaron's point of view instead of Martha's (gee, she stabbed him with the knife that we saw 3 or 4 times already? What a surprise!!). She definitely needed a few pills before meeting Logan again. I wish we knew more about Aaron himself, as he does have a son - maybe his wife died some years ago? Or divorced him. Just an impression.

And at least Jack won't have to go to a Siberian Gulag now, since Suvorov authorized the assault. But what was he thinking when he was casually striding towards the consulate office door after interrogating Markov? That security was simply going to let him leave? I wonder if he knew the whole interrogation was under surveillance and that Russian security would be waiting for him to exit (oh and BTW Jack's Russian accent is very American, from the previous episode, he could never have been mistaken for a native Russian)moreless

The Russians are causing problems in resolving the nuke crisis & Charles Logan wants Martha to intercede with the Subarovs. Again. And he thinks he's just the charmer to get her to agree. Buchanan, as usual, authorizes the madness!

By sistersun, Mar 21, 2007

Lennox and the VP play hard ball with each other and a small middle-eastern country; they decide to lie publicly to deflect blame for the bomb that wounded NewPresident Palmer onto Assad. While Lennox flinches at the idea, he's totally whupped by badBoy VP. Tom knows when his Kung-fu is outclassed.

In the meantime, Buchanan and CTU plan a full-out assault on the Russian embassy in order to get at Markov. The team's being led by newcomer, SilverSpoonsNYPD Ricky. Who's behaving like an a-hole. But every mid-season CTU administrator or team leader is. It's in the job description.

Logan's on his way to see his one and only love, Martha. We find faithful Aaron is still by her side, both of them sleek as seals in all black attire (you can tell great couples: they dress alike) After some convincing by both Charles and Aaron ("a *good* man"), Martha agrees to speak with the Subarovs on behalf of a grateful nation. As the Russians are not immediately available to speak, the odd trio amuse themselves with snide small talk, during which Martha SNAPS and stabs Logan somewhere near his neck. (It was difficult to see on my dimming picture tube.) Babbling something about, "I did it! I did it! He wouldn't stop!" Poor woman, and Poor Aaron! How sad that after finally winning the girl, she's a totally good candidate for the cuckoo's nest. And as Martha goes, so goes the Russian situation, as Markov not only declines to obey President Subarov's direct order to surrender himself and Jack Bauer, he hangs up on him! Well, such insubordination will *not* be tolerated! Subarov greenlights the assault on the Embassy, and Jack tells CTU the next step in finding the crazy bombers.moreless

Mike Doyle (Rick Schroder) is assigned to lead the task force against the Russian Consulate while Gredenko prepares to unleash the other bombs.

By marvelfan89, Mar 18, 2007

Largely a filler episode with Gredenko still not being caught and continuing with his plans. Meanwhile, the Vice President is showing his ability to be cowardly and manipulative by blaming the attacks on another party.

Logan tries to get Martha to talk to the Suvarovos to help them free Jack.

This was a decent episode but largely filler stuff. The tension was in all the Vice President's attempt (with out without approval from the Russian President) to launch an attack on the Russian Consulate.

Gredenko has a few scenes in here but his best moment came near the end. I don't mind Martha being back in fact it be only logical that with Logan here that they bring Martha

in to end the storyline from last season with her in the mental season. Of course, she'd be mad and everyone wants Logan dead so seeing him stabbed was an attempt by the writers to give the fans what they wanted.

Jack rescues himself basically while Doyle and the others control the perimeter. Next episode will be better as Gredenko plans to release the other bombs.moreless

Jack vs. Russia! Logan vs. a steak knife! VP of Doom vs. Unnamed Middle Eastern Country!

By Figgnuts, Mar 17, 2007

Hm. What to say, what to say about this episode?

Let me start at the end. It appears that our favorite President-turned-terrorist Charles Logan, may be dead. And I kinda like it that way.

It's not that I have no love for the character of Charles Logan. I really do. I love Gregory Itzin as an actor, and he really infuses the character of Charles Logan with a certain energy that's hard to deny. Whether he's playing the scared-witless VP-turned-Prez from Seasons 4/5, or the villanous Prez from late Season 5 or the reformed, born again Charles we've seen here, you can't help but buy it. He's just that good.

So why am I so happy for the death of Charles Logan?

Primarily because I really like that Charles reformed, that he found religion. It showed character growth and I feel it was a really good move on the part of the writers. But honestly, I think if Logan had stuck around for too long, the writers eventually would've welched on it and made all of the religon stuff merely an act - for the simple fact of throwing in a shock. If Charles Logan is dead, they can't do that, and his reformation will forever remain genuine, which is what it should be.

I suppose he doesn't have to die - Logan could just vanish into a hospital or a coma or something along those lines. But eventually the writers'll bring him back as a villain, just for that "big shock." So yeah, I kinda hope he's dead.

Speaking of the Logan storyline, I've gotta say that I wasn't too fond of the Martha/Aaron angle. Firstly, the Martha we saw here was the crazy version we saw at the beginning of Season 5 - a version that was supremely annoying on all counts. Don't get me wrong - I understand her mindset because, hey, her ex-husband was responsible for some pretty terrible things, but that doesn't make her any less annoying in this episode. I'm also not a fan of Martha and Aaron being in a relationship. We could all see it coming with the way Season 5 played out, but it just seems a little...false, is the word perhaps? I would have liked to see them perhaps as good friends, since that's something that happens so rarely on this show. Men and women are either in a romantic relationship, or they're co-workers with sexual tension. We never just see platonic male-female relationships, and I think that Martha and Aaron would have been a good way to explore that - a man who cares for this woman and is willing to take care of her, but not necessarily romantically.

I'm not sure this fits with Aaron's character, either. Didn't we hear that he had a son at some point in the Palmer days (Seasons 2 - 3?). If that's true and he does have a son, it seems unlikely to me that Aaron would be divorced. He seems too much of a "family man" for that. Although I suppose his wife could've left him, but come on - it's Aaron Pierce. Who leaves Aaron Pierce? Oh well. I doubt we'll have to deal with the characters beyond next week's episode anyway, but I think there was definitely some unused potential there.

Also, let me point out that the "shocking" stab was telegraphed from a mile away. After about the third time of the camera focusing in on a steak knife, you can't help but wonder, "Gosh, I wonder if she's gonna stab someone? Who could it be?"

Wow, I think I spent a bit too much time talking on that one little subplot, eh? Let's take a look at the rest of the episode, shall we?

Mike Doyle. Don't like him. Okay, that's not true - I'm indifferent to him. If his name were anything else than "Mike Doyle," I'd hate him, but the novelty of this character sharing a name with one of my high school teachers evens things out so I'm merely indifferent. So far his character is mostly uninteresting - he's a hothead, but not the GOOD kind of hothead that Jack is, see? And, honestly, Mike Doyle just seems like an angry version of Nurse Paul Flowers, which doesn't say much for the skills of the actor if all of his characters feel the same. I don't much expect him to hang around for long, though - it seems like Tactical Division heads other than Jack Bauer seem to die off very quickly (excepting Curtis, of course - an anomoly). The stuff with Jack at the consulate was kind of interesting I suppose, but nothing that really got me goin'. There was some good action towards the beginning of the episode but after that, Jack pretty much just hid and snuck around. Honestly, I'm not really sure what Jack was expecting to happen when he stormed into the consulate last episode - did he really expect to just be allowed to leave? And he puts the United States government in a pickle by having to extract him. There should be some kind of consequences, but considering that this is Jack, there obviously won't be. Which is kind of ridiculous, but it's the way the game is played I guess.

Speaking of all the consulate stuff - the writers are aware that if it's 6 pm in LA, it's the like the middle of the night in Russia, right? So why is the First Couple of Russia just kind of hanging out in full dress? And the First Lady of Russia was supposedly on her way to give a lecture? In the middle of the night?! Bad writers. The stuff with Tom and the Vice President (why isn't he President? When Keeler was incapacitated in Season 4 Logan invoked the 25th Amendment within a half-hour) is kind of interesting - mostly just seeing the VP on a power trip - but when you boil it down, it just feels like Season 2, with a bigoted, warmonger of a Vice President itching to start a war with the Ambiguous Middle Eastern Country (AMEC) of the season. Things have gotten better since Phillip Bauer's vanishing act, but it still feels like something is missing and I can't put my finger on what exactly it is. Oh well. Here's hoping next week can rock my socks off.moreless

Load More Reviews