Day 8: 9:00 A.M. - 10:00 A.M.

Episode Reviews (9)

Great

Jack loses his mind

By entil2001, Apr 06, 2011

After the previous episode, a number of fans and critics alike were floored to discover that Renee Walker's death was a pre-planned plot point. Apparently Howard Gordon defended this plot twist as a great move, and praised the notion of sending Jack into a tailspin at the end of the season/series. And apparently Keifer Sutherland was on board with the idea, which just goes to show that some producers should stay the hell out of the writers' room.

Frankly, this is exactly the kind of thinking that has plagued "24" for years. It has also been a hallmark of Howard Gordon's writing style. To be fair, this is not something that falls on Gordon's shoulders alone; there is an entire writing staff that shares the blame for carrying forward a vision for the eighth season that undermines Jack's heroic journey and therefore the entire point of the series. But longtime readers, going back to the "X-Files" days, know that Gordon's plot and character choices have always been a subject of criticism.

Despite the grievous error of the previous episode, this installment manages to bring matters into focus. Jack's personal response to Renee's death gets some well-deserved attention, but there is also a welcome depth to President Taylor's plot thread.

Jack manages to keep himself reined in for the most part, but something has definitely come undone behind those eyes. The difference is simply his self-control. Earlier in the series, Jack would have gone on a massive rampage from the beginning. While Jack doesn't quite hold back with Dana Walsh, he does manage to keep his wits about him.

Yet during his confrontation with Bazhaev, there's no doubt that Jack is primed and ready for violence. And his moral compass is spinning completely out of control. There's no doubt that he would kill anybody who got in the way of putting those responsible for the atrocities of the day where they belong.

And that's what makes President Taylor's decision to let the Russians get away with Hassan's assassination, the terrorist threat against New York, and so many other things such a punch to Jack's gut. He is completely floored by the notion that President Taylor is choosing political expediency over such a clear-cut moral imperative. This isn't a debate over counter-terrorist tactics; this is real politik at its ugliest.

Of course, it all comes back to the symbol of all things ridiculous on "24". No, not Kim Bauer; she was just poorly written and stuck in inane plot threads. Charles Logan, on the other hand, was the terrorist President of the United States. The concept itself boggles the mind. As does the notion of ever trusting someone like Logan when he comes calling with a solution to a problem that didn't exist just a few hours earlier.

That's the one thing that hobbles this episode. It's pretty damn clear that Logan knew about the Russian collusion with the IRK dissidents because he was knee-deep in everything that happened. He's all but caught red-handed halfway through the episode, and yet, President Taylor just lets the matter go in favor of listening to the former Terrorist-in-Chief's advice.

While the advice does have a certain "ends justify the means" logic to it, it is predicated on two erroneous assumptions. First, that Charles Logan would ever give someone such strident advice on something that wasn't of deep and abiding value to his own self-interest. And second, that any peace accord for the Middle East, particularly one forged with a progressive Islamic regime, would truly end the conflicts in the region.

The problem is that Taylor is falling into the same trap that so many other politicians and leaders encounter: the Legacy Hunt. It's not enough to be a strong and competent leader. There has to be something monumental that history will always remember in their section of the textbook. When presidents go tilting at the legacy windmills, they almost always leave ethics and morality behind.

In a sense, this fits the overall theme of the season, which is not a bad thing. Taylor is failing to learn from the mistakes of the past, and she will find herself on the wrong end of Jack Bauer's resolve as a result. Of course, this is also quite unfortunate, because the series should have ended on a better note. President Taylor had grown to be the first president since David Palmer to trust Jack's judgment. Jack's restoration, and that of CTU, was bringing the series full circle. It's hard to imagine that happening now.

Overall, this episode managed to make the best of a bad situation, even if some of the logic was twisted to make certain characters make uncharacteristic choices. It was good to see a lot more of President Taylor; the writers haven't given her nearly enough to do. Though it's hard to see how the writers are going to end this season/series well, this isn't a bad start.moreless

Jack begins his search for Renee's killer. He learns that it was the Russian government, not the IRK, who is behind all the attempts to stop the peace process. Disgraced former president Charles Logan learns what Jack is doing and tries to stop him.

By meathead704, Jul 01, 2010

Last season, President Taylor made the decision to allow her daughter to be prosecuted for murder rather than cover it up. A tough decision, but it was the right one. I was somewhat surprised, and even disappointed, that in the face of another tough decison, she decided to go with Logan and cover up the truth. It for all intents and purposes, flies on the face of everything Taylor stands for. It's an unfortunate letdown from the person she was thought to be. In the end I shouldn't be surprised. After all it is "24" we are talking about, right?moreless

Insane Jack and a welcomed Logan make for great 24!

By warthogjump, May 04, 2010

Logan and Jack (as always) stole the show in this episode. You can see the evil Jack is capable of directly in his eyes and absolutely nothing will have a chance of stopping him from reaching "justice." Not even the President!

Gregory Itzin's acting is superb. He fires in the role of Logan and really shines when he is on the screen. I can't wait for a confrontation between Logan and Bauer!

Overall, the season seems to be heading in the right direction towards a phenomenal climax. President Taylor is also really getting a taste of her Presidency role and she seems to be following in the footsteps of Logan: covering the truth for the good of the country!moreless

lets try this again......

By 44tvfan, May 03, 2010

my review I just typed didn't show ....so here goes again....At least we have Jack being the old Jack! And having Logan back is good too. He plays such an excellent "bad" guy. Now for the WORSE part.....Once again we see the Presidents sickening ego in play. She IGNORES Jacks' warnings about the the Russians being involved. Which Palmer would NEVER have done! This President, is like the one we have today.....not interested in the "GREATER GOOD" just interested in her or his career and WORLD leadership. She's not in a tough position becaues she knows she's simply going to do what she can to further HER career, whether it's walking over dead American bodies etc. This peace conference won't mean a thing on 24 or in real life. Sorry, I got side tracked with real politics. In any event it makes me sick the way 24 has has gone.

I can't see anything really happening in the few remaining episodes. So disappointed in Sutherland for allowing the show to go down this pathetic road. But that's liberal Hollywood for you....sigh...it should have simply ended when TWO seasons ago. I'll keep watching and hoping JUSTICE will finally pervail!!!moreless

Political games

By Parricida, Apr 24, 2010

I most say, the way this episode ended.. it did not surprised me.. It was all going that point. Jack was quite out of control before.. on the hospital crying. We have seen him doing that only very few times. And then.. when people he had maybe most faith in.. turns him down and plays her political game.. it just... I think he felt betrayed by his own side again and turns around against everyone.. and this time there is no Chloe to support him either.

So.. majority it was Jack episode.. leading to that point.. seeing how everyone stand aside him..

But Logan.. oh.. never liked him and he is back..and all his intrigues too.moreless

We see the sad aftermath of Renee Walker's death and the backstabbing arena called politics in this episode.

By talkingbones18, Apr 21, 2010

Jack was amazing in this episode. The acting was truly superb. The range of emotions, the ferocity, the calm, icy cool with which he executed everything he did....

Of course, last week's episode was by far the saddest episode I saw all season, but the beginning of this episode is in a close third. How very horrible for Jack to realize that he can't tell the nurse anything she's asking - not about Renee's family, not anything. It really highlights how little time he and Renee had together in the most heartbreaking way possible.

Jack got a ten from me, but Chloe really disappointed me. I know she only "did what she had to do," but really....the protagonists of this show have been known for working around the system, for doing the right thing for each other even under the most difficult of circumstances. Where's that spine Chloe showed when she pulled a gun on that jerk earlier this season? It surprised and disappointed me that the minute she got a pat on the back from the White House, she completely abandoned Jack. Maybe she wouldn't have been able to do much, but she could've tried.

I seriously sympathize with President Taylor. What a hard position to be put in. I hope she's ready to deal with the consequences of what she did, though. She had to've known the minute Jack said, "I understand," and walked from that room, that she had completely betrayed him. I'm not saying her decision was wrong or right, because there is no right or wrong situation here, but I can't see Jack helping her after this. An episode without Renee Walker was sad and sucked, but the episode was still pretty good. I enjoyed it, anyway, and I'm kind of looking forward to Jack on the warpath. I'm concerned with how this will all be wrapped up for poor Jack, being the last season and all, but we do have six hours left. I'm crossing my fingers; here's to hoping for an even better episode next week.moreless

Good to see the old Jack back for one last show.....

By collabo, Apr 21, 2010

I mean let's face it Jack was never going to be back to his old ruthless self if Rene hadn't died. This episode was one of my best because for one i saw the old jack back. Secondly Charles Logan is pulling off one of his oldies . I mean the guy is just so good in this role you gotta say his the increment the show was lacking at this point.It's good to see Chloe is for once not supporting Jack and this makes things harder for jack as he pursues what should be the ultimate bad guys in the game.... It's gonna be one hell of a 6 hours left in the day i can't waitmoreless

Bittersweet.

By Zaf31, Apr 21, 2010

Wow, what an episode. Its bittersweet how, so soon after cancellation, this season of 24 has turned around. I really didn't like the first half, everything felt like a giant slow 24 cliché, but it's almost like somebody behind the scenes has put their foot down and moved everything forward quickly.

When Logan decided to talk to the President and again when the President wanted to meet Jack at CTU, I immediately thought "great, I bet all of this travelling back and forth means it'll take at least two episodes for the President to find out about Russia". How wrong was I!

Jack has always been about the greater good, and its cost him dearly. He sacrifices everything, only for the people who ask him to do so, to then turn on him or conveniently forget the huge part he played in it.

I really hope the end of this season has Jack letting go of the greater good, and doing what *he* needs to do, not what his country needs him to do.

Also I think somebody needs to remind President Taylor about the fate of the three previous presidents and the one thing their demise have in common...They all turned their back on Jack.moreless