NBC Orders a Debra Messing Cop Dramedy and a Cristin Milioti Rom-Com

By NatalieAbrams

May 08, 2014

Hot on the heels of picking up the DC Comic drama Constantine, NBC has also given series orders to the Debra Messing cop dramedy The Mysteries of Laura and the Cristin Milioti rom-com A to ZTV.com has learned.

Based on a Spanish series, The Mysteries of Laura stars Messing as a quirky female homicide detective who juggles high-stakes crime with her ex-husband (Josh Lucas) and a devilish set of twin boys. The Tomorrow People's (R.I.P.) Jeff Rake will write and executive-produce with Arrow's Greg Berlanti and Aaron Kaplan. Laz Alonso and True Blood's Janina Gavankar will also star in the project.

A to Z is a whimsical romantic comedy set at an online dating company. The series stars How I Met Your Mother's Milioti and Mad Men's Ben Feldman (you go, Ginsberg!) as the show details the "A to Z's" of a relationship, from the first meet-cute to the break-up. Parks and Recreation's Rashida Jones (who's gonna be a busy lady now that her new TBS cop spoof is a go) will executive-produce with Will McCormack and Ben Queen, who will also write. Henry Zebrowski, Christina Kirk, and Leonora Crichlow will also star.

Do either of these shows sound good to you? Do you buy Messing as a cop?

• Comments (13)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • GirishKrishna1 May 11, 2014

Milioti was the best damn thing in the final season of HIMYM. I will definitely watch her show.

• TrevPlatt May 09, 2014

NBC keep cancelling comedies because they aren't broad enough (how it must pain them to keep renewing Community and Parks) and now they are going ahead with a "whimsical romantic comedy". Even if it's actually any good what are its chances of surviving?

• JackSaat May 09, 2014

Constantine!! DC is hitting all networks :) If only all that shows where set in the same movie/TV universe like all the new marvel ones! Well Arrow and Flash are set in the same universe that is something!

• modernfamily120 May 09, 2014

Might watch both of them.

• layton2012 May 09, 2014

Milioti alone is enough reason for me to get A to Z the four episode test.

• JT_Kirk May 09, 2014

Oh NBC, never change, never show any ability to make good decisions. Keep throwing those darts, baby!

• hockey9927 May 09, 2014

Neither show is exactly breaking new ground. Bt Messing and Lucas could be really great on screen together, and a drama/comedy cop show is less common then straight cop show, could be good. And I will watch Milotti in anything after her role as the mother on himym!

• Kittensocks5 May 09, 2014

A to Z sounds cute. I can't wait to see the first couple of episodes

• nachnick May 08, 2014

I'll watch Debra Messing.

• KevinG87 May 08, 2014

yet another cop show, regardless of genre, is a big no thank you from me. I might see how A to Z comes together though and make up my mind then.

• See More Comments (3)