NBC Sets Premiere Dates for About a Boy, Believe, Crisis, and More

By Tim Surette

Jan 10, 2014

Just a quick scheduling update here: NBC has assigned premiere dates to four midseason series (plus one reality show) that were heretofore dateless, and SURPRISE! The network is using the upcoming Winter Olympics to try to increase their chances of survival. (How'd that work out for Go On and Animal Practice, guys?)

First up is Jason Katims' comedy About a Boy, which gets an Olympic boost on Friday, February 21, before settling into its regular Tuesday-at-9pm time slot the following week on February 25. Its fellow new comedy Growing Up Fisher will debut after the Olympics Closing Ceremonies on Sunday, February 23, before take over its regular time slot immediately after About a Boy on Tuesday nights at 9:30pm. 

On the drama side, Alfonso Cuarón's Believe will enjoy a lead-in from singers instead of skiers for its debut, following a new episode of The Voice on Monday, March 10. After that, it will air in its regular time slot of Sundays at 9pm starting March 16 (that'll give it a couple weeks' headstart before it has Games of Thrones to contend with). Also premiering on March 16 will be new thriller Crisis, which makes its debut at 10pm. 

And finally, reality series American Dream Builders starts building dreams on Sunday, March 23 at 10pm.

Here's a little refresher on the shows in case you forgot or never knew in the first place:

About a Boy 

Based on the Nick Hornby novel and the Hugh Grant movie, this comedy stars David Walton (Bent) as a free-wheelin' bachelor type who forges a friendship with his uptight neighbor's son. That uptight neighbor is played by Minnie Driver, and I don't want to spoil anything, but the two may end up having sex. I watched the pilot over the summer and didn't really care for it, but plenty of other critics liked it, so it may show promise.

Growing Up Fisher

This comedy stars J.K. Simmons and Jenna Elfman, and it's about a boy who idolizes his blind father. No matter how many times I write up this description, I still have no real idea what to expect. 

Believe

Alfonso Cuarón (Children of Men, Gravity) and J.J. Abrams (everything) are producing this supernatural thriller about a girl with developing special powers who is hunted by a secret organization. To protect her, the people on her side spring an ex-con from prison to keep her safe. I watched this pilot over holiday break and it's intriguing, but the series also recently halted production after its fifth episode to reset its direction and swap out showrunners, and that's never a good sign. It does have Cuarón's trademark continuous shots, though, and those are always awesome.

Crisis 

Dermot Mulroney and Gillian Anderson star in this political thriller that sees a nation scrambling when a bus full of D.C.'s elite schoolchildren is ambushed. Well okay!

American Dream Builders 

Home-improvement master Nate Berkus hosts this competition series that challenges designers to renovate homes. Hopefully with the owners' permission.

And here's how the dates look in easy-to-read list form!

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 21

10:30pm – About a Boy series premiere, following Olympics coverage

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 23

10:30pm – Growing Up Fisher series premiere, following Olympics Closing Ceremonies

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 25

9pm – About a Boy time-slot premiere

9:30pm –  Growing Up Fisher time-slot premiere

MONDAY, MARCH 10

10pm –  Believe series premiere

SUNDAY, MARCH 16

9pm – Believe time-slot premiere

10pm – Crisis series premiere

SUNDAY, MARCH 23

8pm – American Dream Builders series premiere

Will you be adding any of these shows to your personal viewing lineup?

• Comments (23)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • LOST-TWD-PP-GOT Jan 12, 2014

So NBC in it's infinite wisdom, is going to put it's new supernatural drama Believe up against The Walking Dead for a few weeks, then Game of Thrones. Brilliant! That's about as smart as, putting Revolution up against Arrow, The Middle, and American Idol. I swear, it seems as though networks don't want their sci-fi, fantasy, and horror shows to succeed anymore.

It doesn't matter to me when they broadcast it. I'll watch it on demand, when i want. But the show is not going to do well in ratings. Probably going to be a single season series. Shame.

• BobTFish Feb 04, 2014

I was saying something similar last year on a different thread. They keep spending all this money on decent ideas, then doing everything they can to help them fail. I do not understand the logic. So many good shows, or at least shows with good potential just have not been given a fighting chance over the past 5 years or so

• LydiaWilson1 Jan 11, 2014

I think that rather than watching the About a Boy series I will just head to my bookshelf and re read the book... And then probably all my other Nick Hornby books because once I start them I can't stop. Fuck I love Nick Hornby.

• 2wksnotice Jan 11, 2014

That is the most hipster little boy I have ever seen

• MissMunchkin Jan 11, 2014

About a Boy sounds really adorable, but comedies usually have a hard time grabbing me. Believe sounds like something I'd really enjoy, but it's on a terrible night of competition, so I'll probably hold off on watching it until I know whether or not it's going to get the ax.

• Ralike Jan 11, 2014

Sunday is a way too competitive night for nbc to handel but i really dont like this season of tv anyways so if these shows sink they sink

• bluefish Jan 11, 2014

Bad idea to put believe and criss on a sunday night. Cable shows rule sunday night(GOT, Walking Dead). Once and Revenge are stinking in the ratings on sunday and believe and criss will be the same.

• Joker62002 Jan 11, 2014

For some reason I do not think believe well make it.. Oh yeah maybe its because of the haulted production

• bjhabal Jan 10, 2014

And what about Crossbones, The Night Shift and Undateable

• mad-pac Jan 10, 2014

In Believe, I think the father should be played by Kiefer Sutherland.

• ben45tpy Jan 10, 2014

I know that eventually I'll be very excited about Believe but at the moment I'm getting show excitement fatigue. The rest seem pretty meh.

• See More Comments (2)