Aeon Flux

Show Reviews (15)

Great

Cutting edge animation and a complex storyline make this a completely mind blowing series, from start to finish.

By eac8885, Jun 26, 2007

This animated series by Peter Chung is one of my personal favorites from the early 90s Liquid Television slate produced by MTV. It was my first real exposure to non-mainstream animation, and I found it to be mind blowing. I won't bother trying to summarize the plot beyond the main protagonist, ├ćon Flux, who was probably one of the first animated anti-heroes I ever saw. I personally enjoyed the series, but it's not for everyone. The show is very dense, and it's storyline can be quite confusing, even after repeated viewings. This is something I believe the director intended. That said, the animation is first rate, some of the techniques used are very reminiscent of anime. Overall, however, the series is great example of cutting edge animation, and one of my personal favorites.moreless

And now for something completly different

By ssimonds1, May 22, 2007

Aeon Flux was one of the most wildly different pieces of animation (not anime) ever. I know some people consider Aeon Flux anime, but it's not. Anime is Japanesse animation that is rewritten and revoiced for American consumption. Aeon Flux is not this altough the artistic style has an anime look.

Aeon Flux is not for everyone, as the reviews I've seen here on TV.com prove. I myself have friends that can't stand the show nad no amount of explaination will change their minds. AF is a differnt type of show, in the same vein as Dr. Who. If you like it, great, enjoy.

By the way, it's available on DVD with some great extras, but you might have to go to the Anime section to find it.moreless

once a cool thing

By CAPNDEL, Jun 27, 2006

when this show first came along as a series of shorts on late night mtv it was cool. the character always died. the animation in my opinion was never that good. and when they made it a regular series it went downhill fast. why on eartht they turned this into a movie i will never understand.

I don't get it, I just don't get it.

By Apocalypse555, May 20, 2006

Why did I give this show a 7,6? So I wouldn't give it a 5 and ruin this show's average score.

Firstly, I know this show has a lot of fans, even some hardcore fans who think that this show was great or ahead of its time, but don't hate me because I just think it has too much falws.

Firstly, the graphics is SOOO bad, it makes naked women look monstorous, even grotesc, the only good thing being the clothes on some women, but not Aeon.

Secondly, I didn't like the plot that much, although it had some pretty nice turns. I saw this only after like 2-3 years before it was made, so I didn't think the ideas were that original.

Overall, I really didn'y like it, but I guess you can't be blamed for enjoying it. The movie was way better.moreless

Before The Matrix...

By bonefactory, May 01, 2006

Having first seen Aeon Flux as MTV shorts I was instantly captivated, breaking free from the constraints of the "standard" method of story telling, so much is left in the mysterious and unknown, with very imaginative and surreal atmosphere, in some cases one feels like they have just been dropped in the middle of a story with no real explanation of what is going on, its not needed it adds to effect. An interesting format that the heroine is killed off only to be reincarnated in the next short, almost like a video game in some contexts.

This format was eventually abandoned and a more story like series followed, which might lead one to believe that the initial shorts might of been proof of concept or tests? These episodes are very similar in the same surreal atmosphere but with a little more story line and plot driven in to make them more durable.moreless

Innovative and highly influential ...

By xGowronx, Jan 26, 2006

Aeon Flux was my first experience with an anime like cartoon, being that it is a science fictioned themed series I thought that I would give it a try.

Man, I'm glad I did. This show is spectacular! Moody and stylish, AF drops you right in to a futuristic, Blade Runner-esque society. It's dark, and strangely beautiful. The voice acting is good, and the storylines are strong.

This show was something rare and something very different. It still amazes me that this even got onto TV. It is a series that is at once very philosophical while being also very surreal. Each episode explores some new twisted dimension of thought.

I would hesitate to show this to small children as there is some violence and mild sexual innuendo. The deeper story of each episode would also elude a small child.

moreless

what did you expect it's MTV

By chowdr, Dec 07, 2005

This show did not make a lot of sense, but i had to watch anyway. Aeon dies in allot of the episodes, yet continues to go on. I guess this is somewhat of a takeoff of the movie Heavy Metal. it is entertaining in a strange way, yet boring at the same time. i don’t know why it was such a short run. The DVD should be out by now so you can watch it in it's completeness anytime you want. Getting 100 characters into a review about a show that did not even make it past one season is difficultmoreless

Update on finding the series on DVD

By jllk32, Dec 05, 2005

This is not a review, but just a informative update that the entire DVD collection is available at Best Buy for around $35 since the movie came out. Price and availability could change due to feedback on the movie. It\'s in a white box set and when I rang it up it was $31.99, but noone knew that there was an animation before the movie came out.

Oh and I watched it when I was little at family's house as a guilty pleasure since being a night owl and only had famer's cable at my house till after I left high school. I liked what I watched, but never understood it since didn't watch all of the shows.moreless

Nothing can prepare you for something this different.

By Xyberbratt, Nov 30, 2005

Far ahead of it's time, and well beyond anything that had come out before, Aeon Flux was a groundbreaking effort on many fronts. Originally a series of shorts on MTV, it grew into a cult phenomenon, and into it's own series. Though short lived, it has never left the consciousness of anime fans, and certainly left a lasting impression on anyone who caught the series. Well worth the investment to find the DVD releases, this series is a benchmark for many of the things to come along after it. With a completely sideways wit, and a vivid eye for the art of animation, Peter Chung brings to life a world that is both fascinating and scary, all the while being wildly entertaining.moreless

Aeon Flux is on the most innovating animation shows of all time, imposing new storylines and a groundbreaking animation for the contemporary cartoons.

By lequericacalvo, Nov 20, 2005

Aeon Flux, can be considered one of the American animation most innovating from all time, and also can be considered the first and only American anime stile.

This is one of my favourite shows of all time, because it have unique scripts and a non linear storylines in most of the episodes, plus the characters are quite innovating even they were developed ten years ago. Just one of the best animation series from all time.

Load More Reviews