Agatha Christie's Poirot

Show Reviews (20)

Great

Christies Series 13 ??

By coldcoldground, Nov 14, 2013

Where can we find this in the over a hundred countries have aired it but I cannot get it and have searched for

Where or where Poirot are you?

The Little Four

By patrickhyndma, Nov 03, 2013

those of you who liked this need to read the book. the book the big four is epic. true international intreage Poirot is great as always and all the charictures are wonderful to see return. the episode was great and i love Sacket and all the charicture. the story was butchered. i am so disappointed, i waited for this all year and it was totally anti climatic. really if you all really liked this that much you should read the book it blows this episode away.moreless

Great programme!!!

By springflower46, Jan 27, 2013

I just love Poirot but has anyone noticed the blue car in EVERY episode? Is this on purpose?

One the best shows ever made. From the golden age of british tv, it's one of the most well planned and executed series ever made. The attention to detail is extraordinary.

By Filipe-M, Jun 03, 2011

Poirot starts with a great script, the famous Poirot novels and short stories by Agatha Christie, and manages to complete it with an excellent performance by the cast and the direction.

Modern shows like Sopranos & co. can't even begin to achieve the quality that this show created. In fact, I'm still wondering what people find so extraordinary in modern shows, and the fact is, the only reason people watch them is because they┬┤re new and they constantly break taboos, there's absolutely nothing more to them. Mad Men is horrible, Sopranos wasn't more than ok and the new "Crime Investigation" series, such as CSI are just schools for psychopaths.

Poirot, however, moved far beyond redundant entertainment and created something unique that made it eternal and gave it a place that no other show was able to take.

My only regret in regards to the cast in Poirot is that they haven't been used more often in other shows, in particular David Suchet (plays Hercule Poirot), since it is obvious he's a very good actor and capable of much more than incessant repeats and small (thirdiary ?) rolls.

I give it 10 / 10.moreless

A one-of-a-kind masterpiece.

By MissLemonsHat, Jan 02, 2011

A simply brilliant show. David Suchet never fails to deliver an endearing and powerful performance as Hercule Poirot, the most entertaining (mostly because he\'s so unintentionally humorous) and ingenious Belgian detective the screen has ever seen. Overall, the show balances drama, comedy, tragedy, and romance well - so just about everyone should be pleased. With a great supporting cast of Pauline Moran as the lovely Miss Lemon, Hugh Fraser as the forever-perplexed Captain Hastings, and Philip Jackson as the gruff but kind Chief Inspector Japp; \"Poirot\" really is a rare gem that'll steal your heart.moreless

To sum it up: You can`t beat Poirot!

By avi01, Jan 02, 2011

Talk about brilliance, that what this show is all about. The acting, writing and stories, all perfectly executed, you gotta love Poirot.

The writing is so complex, you have to pay attention to every single detail and dialogs. David Suchet does an amazing job as the funny looking but yet classy Hercule Poirot.

You can`t beat him, I`ve tried so many times, on the edge of my seat looking for the guilty , you expect something but bang, you get another.

The plot are always superbly set up....the stories well executed, it`s almost full satisfaction most of the time. They build up amazing episodes and never let you down with the ending like so many shows does.

Hats off, you`ve got a masterpiece here.moreless

ahh these little gray cells, mon a mie!!!!

By mrsgrissom123, Jan 02, 2011

Poirot is got to be one of the best classic tv shows around. i love the character of poirot and david suchet does a great job of playing him!!!! i like the fact its set in about the 1930's, i love the costumes, cars etc. agatha christie was a great writer and the poirot stories are great. my fave at the mo (as i have not seen them all yet) is death on the nile and also murder on the orient express, however david suchet does not play poirot in the tv adaption, so it would be great if they filmed this one with him. Poirot is a great programme and i cant wait until they film the few more that is left.moreless

Poirot seasons 10 and 11 - sorry to be so harsh in my rating, but it is because I love Poirot and feel very strongly about the direction it is taking.

By marinabrovak, Jan 02, 2011

Topic: Poirot seasons 10 and 11 - the quality of music and with it the drama. I do not propose to discuss the choices made by script writers, although there is no doubt much to be said on the subject. I feel very strongly about the quality of music (or rather the lack of it) that divides seasons 10 and 11 from the previous seasons. There's been enough mentioning of big budgets and lavish settings, so there is no excuse for a 100% digital orchestra and the monotonous diatonic characterless musical accompaniment that completely spoils the latest episodes.

How could this happen when only recently, in season 9 (2004) we still had beautiful emotional music in '5 little pigs' and 'Death on the Nile', not to mention the older episodes, such as 'Hickory Dickory Dock' or 'Murder on the Links' that are practically brought to life by the music. Even the short episodes in seasons 1-3 and 5 are full of charm and character much owed to the beautifully crafted music. I doubt that the absence of Christopher Gunning is the only reason for this - perhaps the real reason is that producers requested a digital score to be delivered with all possible speed ? Is there no production that can resist this epidemic that sweeps the entire film industry? Poirot deserves to be an exception for the sake of continuity if nothing else.moreless

I like the style of this episode and the series in general is taking. It has a mysteric athmosphere, and I think that is what they're trying to create.

By AvadaKedavraNL, Nov 03, 2008

If I recall it well, this is the episode where Poirot says "Mademoiselle, something ...". He said it so quickly, that I heard "Mademoiselle Something". I am not sure if they did that on purpose, or not, but for me it was a comic moment.

They do try to add humor to the series, in a way without of course turning it into a comedy.

Unfortunately they failed with miss Marple, the new one just isn't cast right !

David Suchet has done what Jeremy Brett has done with Holmes (eventhough I wonder what Downey Jr. will make of it), they are the personification of the character in the books, excellent casting was done for these 2.

The last 2 seasons were already excellent, not just a TV-series, no, they're now making 4 movies per year, since they have that quality.moreless

Influential one!

By da_dunker, Apr 28, 2007

There were many one hour and somewhat less two hour episodes of the Hercule Poirot mysteries shown on PBS; and foresighted fans should have taped them then, because when A&E re-runs them, parts of each have to be removed to make room for all the commercials. Very often, the solution at the end flashbacks to scenes that we never saw because of the abridgments and frankly the value of these episodes are reduced considerably. But now Acorn Media is reissuing them in complete versions, with the two hour features on DVD and the shorter ones on VHS. Both series are a delight. The acting genius of David Suchet is enhanced by his usual supporting cast (Hugh Fraser as Hastings, Philip Jackson as Japp, and Pauline Moran as Miss Lemon), the wonderful guest casts, the done-to-perfection ambiance of time and place--the late 20s and early 30s--with all those fabulous art-deco buildings they have managed to find and populate. The first boxed set of 3 episodes contains "The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim," "The Veiled Lady," and "The Lost Mine." In the first, you might spot a bad flaw in the solution. Hint: how long was the playing time of the average 78 rpm disc back then? The second set includes "The Cornish Mystery" (with a genuine "blonde hussy"), "Double Sin" (with a Sweet Young Thing in Distress), and "The Adventure of the Cheap Flat" (with a neat reversal on the plot of Doyle's "The Red Headed League"). And if too many solutions depend on Poirot overhearing by chance some remark early in the story, well that should teach you to be more alert to these things on future viewings. Also if Poirot is not above breaking the law with a little forced entry now and then, well so did Sherlock Holmes. Released at the same time as the DVD edition of "The ABC Murders," ;Death in the Clouds concerns a killing on an airplane during which Poirot himself is fast asleep. As in all Christie mysteries, the red herrings keep coming; but as in few Christie mysteries, not all that many characters have the opportunity to be near the victim at the right time. (Many mystery writers are fond of "the crowded murder scene" in which every character was able to reach the victim at just the right time.) And although you might feel cheated at the solution--and this one is a tad far fetched--you had so much fun up to that point that you don't really feel like carping. The ABC Murders in my opinion is one of the better Poirot mystery novels and it transfers very well to the screen. First of all do not confuse it with the horrible film "The Alphabet Murders" with Tony Randall. This is a fairly faithful adaptation of the Christie novel that has Poirot and Chief Inspector Japp chasing after a serial killer who matches the initials of his victims with the name of the town in which they are killed. And although the murderer turns out to be not exactly the least likely suspect, there are enough red herrings--one gigantic, the rest minor--to keep you guessing until the inevitable scene in which all concerned are gathered in one place to hear how the Master has solved it all There is a bit of nonsense with Hastings' stuffed souvenir of the South American jungles and the last murder is shown but its purpose is not explained as it is in the original. Very amusing sleuthing for one and all--and a very welcome relief to the grizzly "modern" mysteries now being shown with extreme close-ups, whispered dialogue, and as much gore as possible in each frame.moreless

Load More Reviews